DH and I CANNOT agree on names!

mhk425

Reaction score
I'm afraid my poor son will have to grow up without a name. ;) DH and I just can't agree at all. I absolutely love the name Noah, and when I first mentioned it he seemed to think it was ok. Then he decided it was too Biblical and won't budge at all. DH's first name is Clyde, but he goes by his middle name of Michael. His dad and grandpa are also named Clyde, so he's insisting on naming the baby Clyde. NO WAY am I naming my baby Clyde!! I told him when we first started dating 8 years ago that if we ended up having babies, the Clyde train was ending there. He was ok with it then, but I guess it's hit him differently now that the baby boy is actually on the way. We've both mentioned a few other names that we like, but he doesn't like anything I come up with and I don't like anything he comes up with. Has anyone been in this position before? It's so frustrating!

Lol my Hubby and I are the exact same. We have 2 names that we both kinda like but haven't decided "yes that's the name!", Hudson, and Aiden. But I LOVE James for a middle name and he hates the name Hudson James (he says they are both lakes, that are right beside each other here in Canada, seriously?? I didn't even clue into them being lakes, let alone, being right beside each other lol).
As far as the Clyde name goes, I have to say I think you should give it to him, maybe not as a first name but a middle name, then you wouldn't have to call the baby that. Plus you could use it as leverage, and make a compromise. Say "ok, I'll give you Clyde as a middle name, but I really wanna use *insert name* as the first name". I can see the importance of a family name, James is a family name to me so that's why I want to use it.

It is frustrating but also remember you have a long time before the baby comes. Hubby and I have agreed on names and then both gone off them again so now we are going to wait another few months and then discuss them again. Instead of stressing about it now, I'd just agree to talk about it again in a couple of months and both of you have a think in the meantime. You will have to cross that bridge eventually but it doesn't make any sense getting annoyed about it now. You may feel differently about things in a few weeks time so I would both keep te names thing in the back of your head and have a another talk about it in a few months xx

Dh and I are in the same exact boat. It's really frustrating but eventually we'll have to agree or pick a new name lol. Dh LOVES Linus, and I love Edwin. But he hates Ed as a nick name. Noah Clyde sounds nice, and I like Noah. Not a fan of Clyde to be honest but I can understand the importance to your dh.

Lol my Hubby and I are the exact same. We have 2 names that we both kinda like but haven't decided "yes that's the name!", Hudson, and Aiden. But I LOVE James for a middle name and he hates the name Hudson James (he says they are both lakes, that are right beside each other here in Canada, seriously?? I didn't even clue into them being lakes, let alone, being right beside each other lol).
As far as the Clyde name goes, I have to say I think you should give it to him, maybe not as a first name but a middle name, then you wouldn't have to call the baby that. Plus you could use it as leverage, and make a compromise. Say "ok, I'll give you Clyde as a middle name, but I really wanna use *insert name* as the first name". I can see the importance of a family name, James is a family name to me so that's why I want to use it.

My nephew's name is Aiden James! How funny! I would definitely agree to Clyde for a middle name, but that's not what he wants. If it were a name like Joseph or James or William (something that remains popular regardless of the era), I'd actually be ok with passing down the first name. However, I honestly think it would be a bit cruel to name a baby Clyde in this day and age. And, again, I warned him before we even got serious! :haha:

My nephew's name is Aiden James! How funny! I would definitely agree to Clyde for a middle name, but that's not what he wants. If it were a name like Joseph or James or William (something that remains popular regardless of the era), I'd actually be ok with passing down the first name. However, I honestly think it would be a bit cruel to name a baby Clyde in this day and age. And, again, I warned him before we even got serious! :haha:

That is too funny about your nephews name! I can totally see why you wouldn't want to use Clyde as a first name too. It sucks he wouldn't go for that compromise, in that case I say kick the name Clyde to the curb. But like a pp said, you still have months to decide, so don't freak out just yet. I know we are discussing names now but I have no intention on settling on one until I see what the little guy looks like.

He doesn't want to go with Noah because it's too 'biblical' but he goes by Michael? ... as in... the archangel?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael

lol

Still lots of time to come to an agreement on a name, I just thought that was cute.

My son is the 5th generation Robert (goes by Bobby, as does my husband) so I am a huge supporter of family names - We had said we would name our first son Bobby and then I could name the second child (boy or girl) whatever I wanted and he couldn't say a darn thing :) The names I've picked he really likes, but it's taken a lot of pressure off!

My baby daddy and I have a hard time agreeing as well. Especially on boys names! I like names that are old-ish, but not common and sound like they're with the times. He likes really boring and dull names (in my opinion). I have tried the compromise of "baby gets your last name, so I get to pick the first name" That hasn't gotten me very far. I have also threatened with the hyphenated name, haha so far no luck though! I am sure once the time comes to realloy get serious about a name, you will find something agreeable!

With my son, we agreed on a name on the way to the hospital for him to be delivered, despite knowing it was a boy since 20 weeks... This time around, another boy. I haven't even started thinking yet.

I wanted to name my ds after my grampa but couldn't get over the name Leonard (Leo and Lenny are cute tho). So we chose Sheldon out of the blue, now Leonard is out of the question for this baby due to the main characters' names of 'The big bang theory'. Must start anew...

SurpriseMom2B: Are you from Ontario? Because technically Hudson is named after a bay there, it's on lake Superior. I think Hudson is a super cute name!

Edit: James is also a bay in Ontario, but I grew up there and I didn't clue in lol

With my son, we agreed on a name on the way to the hospital for him to be delivered, despite knowing it was a boy since 20 weeks... This time around, another boy. I haven't even started thinking yet.

I wanted to name my ds after my grampa but couldn't get over the name Leonard (Leo and Lenny are cute tho). So we chose Sheldon out of the blue, now Leonard is out of the question for this baby due to the main characters' names of 'The big bang theory'. Must start anew...

SurpriseMom2B: Are you from Ontario? Because technically Hudson is named after a bay there, it's on lake Superior. I think Hudson is a super cute name!

Edit: James is also a bay in Ontario, but I grew up there and I didn't clue in lol

I'm in Prince Edward Island, I'm on the east coast. But I assume those are the 2 bays/lakes he is talking about. It honestly never even clued into me either, and the thought of them both being bodies of water doesn't bothe me either. He comes up with the weirdest excuses for why he doesn't like names though lol.

Can I join you..

I love the names Eli or Spencer, hubby hates them..

He liked the name Steven, YUCK! ( no offence to any stevens out there)

Maybe put it to him this way..

Why name your Child Clyde when he was named that and hated it so much he uses his middle name. Does he wan't his child to have the same feelings as him?

Good luck

I think that it is awesome that your hubby has such a meaningful name to contribute. And I think if your partner is proud of the name then your child will also be (Just not as first name maybe).. So if you can find a way to slot it in then tryy :) I think its a really cute name ..hehe its off pac man..

Just have a play and see if you can work something you like into it..
Jamie-Clyde
Noah Oliver-Clyde Lastname (I think that sounds sweet)

I'm going to start a name thread where we can post up all the names we like to save going through thousands of websites with jokes of names lol..

I'm afraid my poor son will have to grow up without a name. ;) DH and I just can't agree at all. I absolutely love the name Noah, and when I first mentioned it he seemed to think it was ok. Then he decided it was too Biblical and won't budge at all. DH's first name is Clyde, but he goes by his middle name of Michael. His dad and grandpa are also named Clyde, so he's insisting on naming the baby Clyde. NO WAY am I naming my baby Clyde!! I told him when we first started dating 8 years ago that if we ended up having babies, the Clyde train was ending there. He was ok with it then, but I guess it's hit him differently now that the baby boy is actually on the way. We've both mentioned a few other names that we like, but he doesn't like anything I come up with and I don't like anything he comes up with. Has anyone been in this position before? It's so frustrating!

not being nasty but i think you are being very unfair over the clyde thing, its obviously very important to your OH and his family so why start problems about it, in the long run little thing like that can turn into huge issues in the relationship

maybe do what me and my OH did where you each pick a name so your other half gets Clyde and you get Noah = Noah Clyde .......

its all about compromise

I think since its a family tradition name that you made clear you dont like then you should point out if the want to keep the tradition then it has to be a middle name though

Guy called Clyde Michael, goes by Michael
Wants to name his son Clyde...

What!? Why doesn't he name himself Clyde!?

Sorry, I'm with you. The Clyde train would be stopping at me unless he had a damn good reason why he rejected the name he wants to give his son for his own name...

If the reason is other Clydes in the family, why make another one!?

I'm completely with you too. If you don't like a name, don't give it to your child. My OH also has a name he'd like to pass on if we ever have a son, but like you, since we started dating, I told him if we ever had children I would not give my child that name. I'm happy for it to be a middle name, but I would never give my child a name I didn't like.

They're actually both bays, James Bay and Hudson Bay. I'm from Ontario. Im assuming those are the ones hes referring though. James is so common though that I doubt anyone would ever make the connection.

OP, I'm not a fan of juniors either and I had a similar problem with my FOB wanting to name our future son after him and his dad. I find the tradition misogynistic and just really dont like it. I never would have agreed, but luckily we ended up having a girl. I like Noah, and I agree with a PP - its no more biblical than Michael! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->