DH is not supportive :(

wamommy

4 little monkeys!
Reaction score
I have 3 other kids (5, 4, and 1) and with each of them REALLY struggled with breastfeeding and ended up "quitting" after a week, two weeks, and 3 months respectively. The best I ever did was pumping 10 oz a day and supplementing the rest with formula.

It's complicated, but I REALLY want to try harder this time to make it work. I'm due in a few weeks and have read ever piece of info I could get my hands on in an attempt to breast feed successfully this time.

The problem is, DH is NOT supportive. He says things like, "so you're going to starve the baby and not give it formula so that YOU can feel good about breast feeding?" or "do you know what permanent damage you can do to the baby's brain if you don't produce enough in the first few weeks?"

I'm starting to feel like "my" failures in the past have been largely because I didn't have the support and encouragement to keep at it. How can I make him understand how important this it to me, and how I need him to be supportive in order for it to work? Is there a magic website for men who need to pull their head out? :haha: Any advice welcomed!

Why does he think you wouldn't produce enough? Did you have supply issues in the past, if so, how did you know?

Why does he think you wouldn't produce enough? Did you have supply issues in the past, if so, how did you know?

I did have supply issues in the past, despite visiting lactation consultants and taking fenugreek, adding pumpings, etc. I did better with DS (3rd baby) though, so I think there may be a chance this time to raise supply enough to ebf! At least I hope so. :)

I would say go for it and ignore him.. I mean the amount the baby eats in the beginning is SMALL so try not to worry :) and as long as the baby is pooping and peeing the minimum amount per day it'll be ok.

I know my DH thought I needed formula too he even bought some even though I told him not to. I won't use it and my baby is growing just fine :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->