Diagnosed with Cyclothymic Disorder

happyface82

Reaction score
Hi all.

I don't post on this section of the forum very much but I really needed some advice or more support really! I am 28 years olg got a 7-month old daughter and a husband that I've been with since I was 14. Anyone, I've always felt that there is something not right about me, I've been feeling very up and down. Almost ecstatic at times and then sometimes even within hours.. depressed. Completely lost..

I have never told my husband this as I am not sure how he will come. My father is not well mentally (we don't know exactly what the diagnosis is as we don't really talk any more) and two of my brothers have been battling with depression. So this is something my OH is really aware of.

Anyway, recently I said to myself next time I feel really low I will do something about it. So last week was a very difficult week for me so I went to see a psychiatrist. After a 1 hour talk and a questionnaire she said to me that I have cyclothymic disorder and that I would benefit from mood stabilisers.

1. I don't think I want to be on medication for ever :s

2. How do I tell my husband? I really think its time I talk to him, and explain how I feel. I don't want to hide it from him any more and I think I can share it with him he can help me when I'm low.. But, I am really not sure how he is going to take it and I don't want him to constantly worry about me. Or even worse that our kids might have something since its highly hereditary!

Any ideas/suggestions? Thank you for reading this!
:hugs:

Hi I understand where you are coming from darl I am bipolar and what you have diagnosed with is basically the same xxx gimme a mo on iphone I'll jump on me laptop brb

Hey hun am back...
Firstly you need to sit your hubby down and tell him...it is not something that will go away and he needs to be made aware of this so that if you encounter problems in the future and your too unwell to deal with it he can jump in and take over...
Secondly i know what you mean regarding mood stabilisers..they are awul drugs honestly...but they do work....yes they make you feel really monged out and like a zombie but they stop you getting high and low...yes you'll still experiance them but they won't be as severe...but once your pdoc (shrink) gets your dosage right they shouldn't really mong you out...mine was never stabilised so i was always like a zombie my pdoc was always upping the dosage of meds to drag me off the ceiling...but because i am ttc i am totally med free and under the constant eye of the pdoc....and you don't have to be on mood stabs forever...yes they are advised to keep taking them but they are like bike stabilisers you only need them till you are confident enough to go it alone...and if you need them back on.....have them back on...its not failiure!!!
Thirdly on the passing on to kids....they don't fully know if it is passed on but they strongly believe it is...i have 3 boys..2 are totally fine but with my youngest i can see what i was like as a child in him...it does worry me but what is done is done...i have bipolar and yes i could have passed it to them...and if i have...well i'll deal with it with them...
I totally know what you feel hun....i recommend you go onto this forum... www.mdf.org.uk
it is for people with mood disorders and is very informative...go on read all about your condition, get fully informed then approach your hubby and get him to have a look....the more he understands the more he can support you xxx
Also when you next have a pdoc appointment take him with you so if he has any questions he can ask your pdoc...cos there will be questions he wants to ask xxx

If you want to talk hunny about anything feel free to pm me xxx

Sending you hugs xxx
Rachael xxx

I had the same thing hun, pretty much destroyed my life for a yr and then one day I was just better!

I had some pretty strong mood stabilisers however they really messed me up and i refused to take them after a while because I couldnt even remember silly things.

Anyways after missing a yr of uni and trying to take my life twice everything just balanced out. I regret not having a husband or boyfriend that could of helped me through it - it was just a case of time. Having kids can mess up your hormones and it really can be as simple as a hormone imbalance, if you give your body some time and get some moral support from your family you will get through this x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->