Dialted kidney

AmyGreen

Have a 7.5 month old girl
Reaction score
Well I had an ultrasound today at 28 weeks and 4 days and my baby's left kidney has become more dialted.
I'm diabetic as well but this is not related.
It was picked up at my 20 weeks scan that her left kidney was 12 mm (after googling a bit, I've read over 10 mm can be a cause for concern), but doctor was happy to leave me until today to check progress as I was told it can rectify itself. Anyway yes today it measured 26 mm so definitely a cause for consern. The doctor is happy to leave me another 4 weeks to see how it progresses. Her other kidney seems ok as well as all the other organs. He said obviously it can ultimately mean baby's kidney just won't work etc but just wondered if anyone else has gone through this. To be honest I can't see if getting better, if anything just worse. Have people had their baby's born early. I will be induced around 38 weeks regardless due to me being diabetic, oh and she's measuring approx 3lb 1 at the moment, little chunk. But back to original subject just wondering what will happen. I've read that more than likely she'll be put on antibiotics and have a scan, and I know I'm going back in 4 weeks, but want to know how long she'll be in for approx and will they consider her being born early to see if they can save it, if they think it's worth saving etc. As I said I think I will know more in 4 weeks, well I better do, but just wondering if I can gather some more info in the meantime

xxxxx

I'm currently 37 weeks and have been going for scans since they found her dilated kidney at her 20 week scan. Finally got good news it cleared itself up on my last scan. It's very common to show up. That's the only info I have, hope all is well xx

Hey there. The condition is called Hydronephrosis, my son has it (he is now 14 months)
they picked it up on a scan I had at 28 weeks and told me most cases correct themselves. My lo's was 11mm and didn't improve.

The day after he was born we had to go for a ultrasound, where they found the exact same thing no difference. We've gone for a DMSA scan , that shows kidney function & a MAGs free scan + OPC.
Plus ultrasounds every months to keep an eye on the situation & antibiotics once everyday.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more information or support!
Hope your lo's resolves itself!

Hi my Lo had this, and has been on antibiotics since he was born. His is slightly more complex as he has a duplex kidney with two tubes instead of one, which had caused a cyst in his bladder. So far he has had lots of ultrasound s and Dmsa tests. He has had two operations to burst the cyst and we are waiting for an appointment to see his consultant on what to do next.... generally he is very well tho :) if you want to chat pm me

Hey, my son had Bilateral Hydronephrosis caused by PUVs (see my signature) that wasn't picked up during pregnancy, but basically he has been on daily antibiotics since he was 4 weeks old (when it was all discovered) and will be on them until either 3 (surgical view) or 5 (medical view) years old. He gets ultrasounds every 6 months. In under two years he has gone from a boy at risk of renal failure to a happy, healthy toddler who hopefully has no Hydronephrosis (awaiting ultrasound results). His left kidney is still dilated but they hope it's not enough to be classed as Hydro. He may have bladder dysfuncfion (the wall of his bladder is thickened) but we won't know until he starts becoming dry. He had an ultrasound at 3 months old which shows that his right kidney contributes 57% of the function. Not sure if I can say much more, but you can send me a message if you like :)

Just found this and I am currently in same position my baby boys has gone from 9mm to 11.2mm in 2 weeks.
All they say is it's nothing to worry about an it can be because of the foreskin an how it's more common in boys. I am really worried after reading some of the responses but I am steering clear of google!! I am going back for another scan in 2 weeks but I'm having regular scans due to being type 1 diabetic. They said they would scan him once born an he has had a wee. They haven't given me anymore information :(

Well I had an ultrasound today at 28 weeks and 4 days and my baby's left kidney has become more dialted.
I'm diabetic as well but this is not related.
It was picked up at my 20 weeks scan that her left kidney was 12 mm (after googling a bit, I've read over 10 mm can be a cause for concern), but doctor was happy to leave me until today to check progress as I was told it can rectify itself. Anyway yes today it measured 26 mm so definitely a cause for consern. The doctor is happy to leave me another 4 weeks to see how it progresses. Her other kidney seems ok as well as all the other organs. He said obviously it can ultimately mean baby's kidney just won't work etc but just wondered if anyone else has gone through this. To be honest I can't see if getting better, if anything just worse. Have people had their baby's born early. I will be induced around 38 weeks regardless due to me being diabetic, oh and she's measuring approx 3lb 1 at the moment, little chunk. But back to original subject just wondering what will happen. I've read that more than likely she'll be put on antibiotics and have a scan, and I know I'm going back in 4 weeks, but want to know how long she'll be in for approx and will they consider her being born early to see if they can save it, if they think it's worth saving etc. As I said I think I will know more in 4 weeks, well I better do, but just wondering if I can gather some more info in the meantime

xxxxx

I am 28 1/2 weeks pregnant and they found out my dd had this at 18 1/2 weeks. Hers is now 8 and 9. Can you please tell me how it turned out. They tell me it can be a marker for down syndrome but my early screening showed negative for Ds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->