Diaper brands

ashybug

Pregnant with #1!
Reaction score
I'm planning on using disposable diapers, at least for a few months (but probably will throughout the diapering stage). I want to start stocking up soon, because I know money will be tight when I stop working when we have the baby. I know I'll have a baby shower or two but I want to be prepared with at least a few packs in each size.

So I'm wondering what are the best brands and how many I should buy in each size?

I was thinking of going with Pampers as I have heard good things, but there are so many of varieties of Pampers too. I'm lost!

Well...I've heard some women say that Pampers Dry gave their babies a rash. I personally prefer Pampers wipes but Huggies diapers. lol I've also used the Walmart diapers and I found them to be quite good...but I don't think I started using them until DD was 6+ months.

I use the Walmart brand and Luvs.Huggies are alright.Pampers always fit my daughter really small.

stalking this thread as I have the same questions~

We had all kinds in the beginning, from free samples and baby shower gifts. They were all fine while our son was very small, maybe 1-2 months. It wasn't until he started to pee more that we looked more into brands. He was leaking lots and we found Pampers Baby Dry to be our favorite. Once he was older, closer to one, we switched to Wal-mart brand and I really liked them as well.

I used huggies with my son and plan to do the same with this baby.

I find the costco brand to be really high quality. They are pretty much the same as huggies, or maybe even better. I never really cared for Pampers. They are a little smaller than huggies, and don't have elastic in the back like huggies to help hold in the poo if it squishes up the back. I have really sensitive kids, and I have been using the chlorine free more natural Earth's best or 7th generation diapers for a while. All the chemicals in regular diapers kind of concerns me, and both my boys got bad rashes from various brands of diapers. It was trial and error until we found a brand we really liked.

Im going to be using huggies. Was never a pampers fan.

I've heard that different brands work better for different babies, and also that a brand that works great for a baby at one stage, might not work as well later. Rather than stocking up on one brand (or many) maybe start a diaper fund; an envelope or something where you can put extra money, bit by bit, to buy diapers later as you need them. That way you have the flexibility to try different things.

I've decided not to stock up and to try different brands before settling. My mother had 3 of us and said that we each used different diapers because they fit us differently (different body shapes) and we reacted to them differently as well. If I remember correctly, one of us got really bad rashes from one particular brand while the other was fine with them. I've decided to give the cheaper store brand a chance but was given 2 Pampers samples so I'll be able to compare those directly for a start. So basically, I've got just one pack of 70 something diapers and will buy more after as they're pretty easy to pick up. Personally, I'd put the money aside so you don't spend it but not actually use it until you know what brands/size you'll need so you don't risk having diapers you won't use. Just my opinion though, of course. :flower:

* Lol just seen that Yipee typed it all up much faster than I did. So ditto what Yipee said! haha

I agree with Yipee and Nela. You just never know which ones are best for your baby at each stage of growth until you try them.

LUVS 100%. I used Pampers swaddlers for the first couple months as they are very soft and hold loads. Then we switched to LUVS and wouldn't use any other brand. Wal-Mart brand is horrible for us. My son peed A LOT and they would leak.

I'm going to be trying cloth but I have also heard from a few sources that ALDI do excellent nappies. I'll probably get a few of those for the hospital and probably when I travel to family for weekends when cloth just isn't practical to be storing and cleaning.

Honestly, every person you talk to is going to have a different opinion on diapers and wipes. All babies are different so the diapers fit them differently or their sensitive skin reacts differently then another babies would. I'd suggest not stocking up too much but maybe if you have spare cash buy a gift card for where ever you will be buying your diapers (babies r us, Walmart, a drug store, what ever) and put it away. Then when baby is here you can pick up a pack at a time until you find what works best for you guys, and once you have it figured out you will have a stash of gift cards to spend on the diapers.

I'm sure someone else has said this already, but I wouldn't stock up. You have no idea how long your baby will be in any one size before he/she is born. Some people only use size 1's for a week or so. We were in them for 3 months. I would just buy a 1 pack of different brands that are easy to buy where you usually shop in size 1 and see what works better for you. And put money aside now so you can buy what you need once you find one that works. No sense wasting money on something you won't use.

Personally, I don't like Pampers. They have a funny chemical smell to them when they get wet. We found that a cheap store brand (Asda, which is Wal-Mart in the U.S.) actually works the best, doesn't stink, and is about 50% cheaper.

I've heard that different brands work better for different babies, and also that a brand that works great for a baby at one stage, might not work as well later.

I agree with this and have invested in several brands and brand types already and in a variety of sizes.

Also, I did a little research online and found this info:
Newborn size goes approximately 4 weeks
Size 1 goes up to 14 pounds (approximately 4 months old)
Size 2 goes up to 12-18 pounds (approximately 3-7 months old)
Size 3 goes up to 15-25 pounds (approximately 4-12 months old)
Obviously it depends on breastfed vs. formula-fed (bf babies typically grow faster) as well as any other growth factors.
So we don't have a huge amount of Newborn size diapers. I have Babies R Us brand from the baby shower and Pampers. In Size 1 I have Pampers, Huggies in two varieties. In Size 2 I have Huggies in two varieties, Pampers, and Luvs.

I decided a few months back to start stocking up on diapers and would buy a pack of diapers every 2nd or 3rd week. We are good to go through size 2 (hopefully). And we'll be able to see what works on baby best.

I've done the same with bottles and pacifiers/dummies as well because baby will have a personal preference with regard to these items. So we have several different brands and shapes to start with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->