Did any of you have a VBAC?

m0mmyCool

Me, OH, and our 2 boys.
Reaction score
My doctor told me I can have a VBAC if I choose to. He said that the risk for uterine rupture is 1%. I'm still kinda scared though, what if I end up being that 1%! My babies will only be about 17 months apart. I would really love to have a natural birth and would like to hear from those of you who had a VBAC.

oops - baby on my knee, typing with one hand! :lol:

I was saying I had an HBAC in water. One of the best experiences of my life! :cloud9: Will write more when I've put my son down!!

I had a c-section with my LO, and I would like another some day so I did some reading and apparently the risk of rupture after a c-section is the same risk as a first time mom having the cord prolapse. I wasn't overly worried about cord prolapse last time, as it seemed quite unlikely, so hopefully that'll put my mind at risk if/when my time comes again!

Some doctors are very anti VBAC, but as I understand it, it's still less risky than a repeat c-section for a 'normal' pregnancy :)

Did your doctor take a look at your scar before you made the decision to have a VBAC? Because my doctor didn't, he said there was no need. I'm kinda worried about that.

And how many months after your c-section did you have your VBAC?

I'm so excited and scared at the same time.

YOUR RISK IS THE SAME for a VBAC with one C-section as it is for your first vaginal delivery 1%. My recommendation is that if you choose to have a VBAC to do it naturally (no drugs) Drugs can inhibit progress and can compromise your changes for a successful VBAC. I was a doula for a VBAC recently and it was fairly intense but she did it successfully and it was a great triumph. I personally think that if it's possible to do a VBAC that you should. They have proven it's better for baby and better for you in future pregnancies. (Get more and more dangerous every C-section you have.) And a 1 year and a half is ok. (preferably 2 years) But the one I recently was a doula for was only 11 months apart. And since (I'm assuming) you didn't have an emergency C-section you tend to heal faster.

I actually did have an emergency c-section due to fetal stress. Does that increase the risk of uterine rupture? My scar is horizontal and just above my pubic bone. It healed well without any infections and I've never had problems with it during my pregnancy.

No uterine rupture is not increase with a emergency C - section and if the doctor is confident then it means they did a good job on the surgery. And being this far along I wouldn't have much worry. If you feel like you can do it.. Then do it. :) It really does have it's benefits. Recovery is SO much faster. And fetal distress can sometimes be caused just by the position that your in. Baby sometimes doesn't like certain positions. My sister had to labor and birth on her side because everytime she moved the baby's heart rate would go down. Try to get an experience doula who knows these things and she can help and aid in the situations that get sticky. "fetal distress" is the most miss diagnosed reason for C - section except "fail to progress" of course they don't want the baby to get really distressed but the baby's heart rate dropping is common and most times normal. Good luck to you in this journey and I hope you get a successful VBAC.

I am SO determined to have a VBAC with my next LO. :D
Good luck to you, m0mmyCool! :hugs:

hi there, I had an EMCS with dd2 but went on to have a lovely natural VBAC with dd2.
I never really got much detail about rupture etc when pregnant so honestly put it out of my mind.
Did have a presentation scan to ensure dd2 wasn't breech though (as was the case with dd1 being undiagnoised)

This is my first baby but my sister had a vbac with epidural, and friend had a vbac with gas and air. Both of them were roughly 2 years after birth - sister had C due to failure to progress, friend was emergency C first time round (fetal distress i think).
Good luck hope you get yours xo

This is my first baby but my sister had a vbac with epidural, and friend had a vbac with gas and air. Both of them were roughly 2 years after birth - sister had C due to failure to progress, friend was emergency C first time round (fetal distress i think).
Good luck hope you get yours xo

Good example of what I stated before... Women who have VBAC with drugs often end in another C-section. With either fail to progess or fetal distress. But don't let it scare you to change your choice make the best decision for your baby. Good luck again. :)

I had a VBAC (planned HBAC) with babies ending up 17 months apart.

Not a single problem.

Pop into Home and Natural Birthing...there's a thread there all about VBAC info and support, loads to read.

To put it bluntly...VBAC is better for you and baby in many ways that a Planned or EMCS .

The risk of UR is very small, there a re bigger risks in EVERY vaginal birth like cord prolapse.

You are as likely to achive VABC as you are to give birth vaginally as a 1st time mum around 75-80%.

Dont be scared, let what you went through last time make you stronger.

Unfortunately here in Southern Oregon (USA), doctors and hospitals don't "allow" VBACs. My 2nd child was born via planned c-section- my first had shoulder distocia and wasn't breathing after her birth. I was planning a repeat C for my 3rd, but he had other plans. After only 3 hours of labor, my doc encouraged me to push, to get him out faster. He said the reason they don't do VBACs was because of risk of uterine rupture, and obviously my uterus was doing okay:haha:. We discussed a planned C for this time, too, due to policy, but he said, and I quote, "I won't be mad at you if you say you don't want one". But I thought I didn't have a choice? Grrrrr:wacko:. I'm just hoping for another all-natural, drug free, super quick delivery.:shrug:

if you are really concerned about rupture, learn about it. the risks are really really low- but knowing that may not help your mind get over the fear of one.
ruptures tend to happen a certain way- i'd suggest going drug free bc i have heard that the pain of a rupture isn't like ctx. it is contant and doesn't come in waves. also i think your bp will drop. (ETA- that URs aren't immediately catastrophic- if you have adequate care and attention, your cp will be on top of it). knowing these things, and making sure your cp knows them is a step to becoming more comfortable with taking on the minimal risk of UR.

that being said- an elective c-section is just a scheduled uterine rupture. it is more controled and the outcome tends to be better but still, recovery sucks, especially when you have a toddler needing love and a scar needing healing.

educate yourself- and make the choice.

It's worth remembering that the statistics for UR (round 1%) do not differentiate between catastrophic rupture (part of baby entering the abdominal cavity through the uterus - very dangerous for mother and baby) which is incredibly rare and the more usual stretching or slight parting of the scar internally resulting in maternal pain bleeding and some fetal distress.

UR does not always = death/hysterectomy/panic/alien chest burster style happenings.

..as much as you OB may try and tell you it is.

i was told i was all good to go for a vbac at 36 weeks then on sat my baby was too high so i had a c section booked for today.

just before the put the IV drip in i said please i know its only been 3 days but please check and see if i can still go for a natural

they checked and sure enough he has dropped and they gave me a sweep and sent me home. if i havent gone into labour by thursday night i am to met my midwife at the hospital for assessment and to have my waters broken at 730 in the morning

so theres stil hope for me

Why are they pushing you to have your baby early?

You aren't over due till past 42 weeks and even then you're perfectly safe to have expectant management post dates hun. YOu don't have to have AROM as you'll then be on their timetable to go into labour.

Glad you've avoided a repeat CS!

Hi:)

3 weeks ago I have a home birth after having 3 c-sections.

There are risks as with any birth as it's always unpredictable. But c-section carries it's own risks too especially if you've had a previous c-section.

Read as much as you can! If I can help in any way or you would like to know more then please just ask me. You can also pm me if you want.

Good luck with whatever you decide xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->