did anyone else decline the triple test?

hellotasha

Loves Her Baby Girl. X
Reaction score
i did & now im feeling guilty i dont know why, my midwife said they have a good chance of spotting downs ect at scans did anyone else get told that?
now im just startin 2 worry as usual x

i did, I wouldn't want an abortion or invasive testing so I couldn't see the point. I did have a friend who's baby had chromosome abnormalities that were spotted in a scan, but it was way worse than downs, she said it was obvious because the brain was enlarged and there were other problems. I think that alot of the time they find so called 'soft markers' that might indicate a chromosome problem- or might be absolutely normal.

But either way, I'm sure your scan will be perfectly normal :D

I declined it as I could never, ever terminate....that's just my opinion though. My consultant said to me if you would never go as far as an amnio or terminate anyway there really is no point doing the test as the results can be misleading and upsetting. Eg; a high risk is 1 in 250....high risk sounds scary but you have more chance of having a miscarriage than having a baby with Downs Syndrome with those odds IYKWIM.

I know someone who got in such a state over her daughters 1 in 250 results that she spent the rest of her daughters pregnancy on sick leave with stress:hissy:. Obviously the baby was fine and all that hysterical stress was for nothing so nope....I declined mine.

I will love my baby, "perfect" or not:cloud9:

same here my midwife said to me would i terminate if the spotted anything &i said no i wouldn't so she said theres no point in having the scan then xxx

I turned it down as i wouldn't of taken it any further in respect to tests such as the amnio if we had been high risk and we wouldn't of had an abortion either, i did wonder if we'd done the right thing but for us it would of been pointless. I to have heard that things can be picked up on the scan.

We declined - same as everyone else, wouldn't abort and wouldn't have the amnio so thought there would be no point. I'm a real worrier anyway so I didn't want to throw anything else in the mix.

I don't even think they offer the blood test part here; they go right to asking you if you want an amnio. We declined. I'm worried, as we all are, but hoping that the odds are with us...
:hugs:

I took it b/c I wanted to be prepared. I think I would have done amnio if I was high risk although I wouldn't have terminated.

We declined as wouldn't terminate so didn't see the point. The consultant said to me just prepare yourself for looking after a baby 24/7 no matter if it has any issues or not!

I declined and then I regretted it for about 2 weeks, now I'm glad I didn't do it. It was pointless because I wasn't going to terminate either way. But there were no markers in my scans and every time my obgyn has given me an ultrasound he points out that her neck is good and spine is good and skull is good, etc etc. So I guess if there was any indication that anything wasn't right, they'd have told me.

Ive declined it everytime and had the softmarkers done at the scan instead.
Im againsts most of the odds anyway, being young and having no major health problems, plus, ill love my child no matter what it comes out like.

I wasn't classed as high risk and I didn't really see what difference it would make, so I declined it.

i didnt turn it down, but then i really didnt care for the results...they never even told me the results LOL and i never asked about them. a couple vials of blood, eh, i dont care lol.

a friend of mine though, asked me this weekend if i had taken the test and i told her yes and she told me her test with her daughter came back positive for downs and they were asking her to get an abortion! of course she did NOT...her daughter is now 7 years old and never had a sign of having downs! the test is not always right!!! it scares me to think people who possibly got a positive test, aborting their little babies when in fact they may be perfectly healthy!

I have already told midwife at my booking appointment that I don't want the test.
I wouldn't terminate anyway,so why go through it all?

a friend of mine though, asked me this weekend if i had taken the test and i told her yes and she told me her test with her daughter came back positive for downs and they were asking her to get an abortion! of course she did NOT...her daughter is now 7 years old and never had a sign of having downs! the test is not always right!!! it scares me to think people who possibly got a positive test, aborting their little babies when in fact they may be perfectly healthy!

I have a friend with a similar story (not about downs), she has a scan and was told she'd miscarried her babies twin and that the one she was carrying would be born a "vegetable". They told her she should abort, which she refused. He was born nice and healthy. Not all stories are like this but it does make you think sometimes.

We didn't do it - the result wouldn't have made any difference to me and OH anyway. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->