• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

"diddy" weaning help!!

RFBump

Reaction score
So!

My little girl is 21 months-ish!

She will quite happily spend her day at nursery with out the horrible dummy!! As soon as she's home/with me all I ever hear is "diddy, diddy, diiiiidddy!" It the most wingey horrible noise ever I regret ever startin her with one!!

She obviously associates being with me as being with being with me and her dummy!

Has anyone any weaning off the dummy tips!! I can't cope with the thing anymore!! Especially when I can't find one!!!

Please before I lose my sanity!!!!

Thomas never took a dummy but I think you need to set new rules and be totally consistent with them. For example, you could make a new rule that she only gets the dummy at sleep time. Explain to her that she is a big girl now and that she only gets a dummy going to bed now (or you could go cold turkey if you feel really brave!). Then collect any dummies that are lying around and put them out of her reach and out of her sight. Then when she asks for it you just tell her "not until sleep time" and don't give in no matter how much she cries and whines for it. I think once she realizes that the rules have changed, then she will stop asking for it. The fact that she happily goes all day without it at nursery shows that she can manage fine without it. I think you just need to be really tough for a couple of days and she will get the message. I have used this approach with Thomas when I need to set limits about other things and it does work quite quickly as long as you don't give in.

ive gone for quite a gentle approach, if she wants it all day, she can have it all day, but she is reminded to take it out every time she wants to speak becase we ""cant understand if your dummy is in sweetie- what did you want?"
she's gradually going longer periods without it x

I was a nasty mum,I just took it away...yeah we had 2 days of being a bit moany,but after that he was fine.In my opinion it was the best way...we tried the softly softly approach and it didn't work for us.xx

We ditched the dummy in two parts, first we did a couple of weeks of just giving it at bedtime, then we went cold turkey and took it away all together. After a couple of days he seemed to forget all about it and didn't ask where his dummy was. I was dreading the whole process before we started but it ended up being easier than I anticipated. I say go for it! :happydance:

We managed to ditch it during the day and left them in her cot. We were firm it was staying there. She sometimes reaches into her cot to get it, but we just tell her to put it back and she throws it back in. We applaud her and she gets all proud :haha:

I'm currently using my phone but thank you all for your replies!! (Its difficult to thank individually!!)

I'm not brave enough to go cold turkey I think its going to be for bedtimes for now! We have just moved out of my mums house and I've been brave enough to force her into her own bedroom so I think I'll go with the similar ignoring approach!! Its just so easy to give it back, its just driving me crazy!!!

I'll be back with progress :D thanks guys! X

I always think, what would Supernanny do lol, and I remember one of her programmes where she told the child that the Dummy Fairy needed to take her dummy and give it to new babies who needed a dummy. She made a special envelope and the child put the dummy in it one day and was told the fairy would leave a special present to say thanks the next day! I don't know if your child is too young to understand that, if so I would suggest to be firm in only allowing the dummy for half a day (on days when there is no nursery) and then just at bedtime and then not at all over a period of just 3 days. If you drag it out it will just be torture for all of you, maybe again a reward for giving up the dummy like a new teddy or doll?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->