Difference between BH and movement?

Suze

Mummy to Ava & Oscar
Reaction score
I just wondered what the difference between Braxton Hicks and general baby movement/rolling were.

I'm pretty sure what I have been feeling is baby having a good old roll when my tummy goes very hard at the front but when I saw my mw she said this was Braxton Hicks?

I've been getting this for ages, from about 20 weeks and just thought it was movement. Does anyone know if it's a very similar feeling?

Thanks! :hugs:

I was wondering the same thing...Sometimes I know it's my baby, but at times it feels a lil different so I was wondering if it's some BH too...They supppose to be painless so could be it!!! I hope so, it will mean that my body is gearing up to give birth!! I guess we'll only know when we'll be having our 2nd baby LOL!! xx

was just wondering the same last night!!!

I had a few Braxton Hicks 'thinking' is was baby moving! I thought he was pushing his way to the front, but I'm 100% sure they were BH! To me, it seems like my ENTIRE belly goes rock hard when it's BH, and it's only certain spots that may seem hard when it's baby moving.

That's just my opinion, and what I think is happening though! lol.....

xx

I'm the same as Dukechick, when it's BH the entire of the front of my belly goes hard and when it's baby shoving his/her bum out, there's hard spots and soft spots and the bump also looks really uneven!

i thought i'd never had braxton hicks! but when i spoke to a midwife she said i'd confused them with baby movements!!! goodness it's all so confusing!! xx

Yeah it really is confusing isn't it - and what's the advantage or disadvantage of having them?!

There's me thinking I didn't think I'd had any BH yet but going by those descriptions maybe I have!

Oh it's all a big learning curve eh!! I feel like I'll have just figured out what is going on with my pregnancy and then the baby will be here and I'll be totally clueless again :rofl:

Oh it's all a big learning curve eh!! I feel like I'll have just figured out what is going on with my pregnancy and then the baby will be here and I'll be totally clueless again :rofl:

had the same thought as you. it's like a Choose Your Own Adventure book where you don't get to choose! :rofl:

What you described I have put down to being the babies back rising up...?
Then I thought maybe it was the placenta..

LoL who knows now!

My hubby has been stroking her''back'' - now I think it might just be a BH - awww I'll not tell him :)

There's me thinking I didn't think I'd had any BH yet but going by those descriptions maybe I have!

:rofl: :rofl: Same feeling lol..... It's like when you bought 12 books on pregnancy but not one on the new life with your baby lol!!!

And for the BH/ baby movement..... I'm thinking like 80% of the whole pregnancy, we don't know what is going on in our body!! But that's the beauty of the thing isn't it??!! My sister calls me "the Kinder Egg" you know with the surprise inside!!! If it was meant for us to see and understand everything our bump would be transparent lol!!!

so i had no idea what a bh was... heard of it, but never really thought much about it... but now that you guys are describing the rock hard bump feeling... then i think thats what i have been feeling! it happens a few times a day, i think... but whatever.

im a first timer with all this pregnancy thing! and i just dont understand half of whats going on! i dont know when i am supposed to start the birthing classes... i have hardly even thought about it...
i live 3400 miles away from my mom and family and friends and my midwife hasnt been as helpful as i thought she was going to be... ugggh... i feel like i am running around like a chicken with its head cut off... like someone else said, when i feel like when i finally come to terms with becoming a blimp and getting used to being pregnant and having people ask me every two minutes how im feeling, the little man will be here! then ill have to get used to everyone asking me questions about him and how old he is and all that... it scares the daylights out of me! of course i am excited for him to come... but goodness gracious... its just soooooo much to take in and 9 months honestly isnt long enough to get used to the idea of being a parent and having you entire life turned upside down and totally changed!! (for the better of course) of course, we all have the built in maternal love for our little baby and such, but no one can really tell you how its going to be in real life...

sorry... i should have started a new thread to write all this! it just came to me as i was responding... haha

What you described I have put down to being the babies back rising up...?
Then I thought maybe it was the placenta..

LoL who knows now!

My hubby has been stroking her''back'' - now I think it might just be a BH - awww I'll not tell him :)

Yeah that's what I thought the hardening was...who knows!

I've been having the same thing but thought it was the baby moving position too. Well you learn something new all the time!!:rofl:

I've been getting loads of BH which I cant even feel, only realise I was getting them when I was in hospital over the weekend and the monitor kept picking them up, I was having them all the time, the MW couldnt believe I didnt realise I was having them, especially as many of them were off the chart :rofl:

Most of the time I thought it was the babies bum pushing against my belly which made my belly hard :rofl:

I had tightening and my mw said that its BH. Its so confusing.

If I'm getting BH then it feels like my belly is getting very tight - especially all the way down the middle.. The feeling will be mild at first and increase to a 'peak' where it feels very tight and then it starts to gradually decrease.

If it's baby pushing against me, it feels like she's trying to escape and although it can hurt a little, it doesn't feel 'tight' and there are only spots of my stomach that are hard.

HTH? x

I checked this out with my friend who is a student midwife and she checked it out too. Apparently if the WHOLE area hardens then it IS Braxton Hicks but if it is an isolated area then it is probably the baby moving/sticking it's bum or back out!
As long as there is no pain or bleeding with them then all is well!

Well what a revelation, lots more of us are having BH than we thought!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->