Difference between Pitbull and Staff terrier?

T

thedog

Does anybody know if there are any visual differences between the two?
I saw a dog today tied up outside the shop, and it didn't look like a Staffie, i've seen quite a few and this looked MEAN, it was staring at me and LO (we were on other side of road) so i didn't look at it in the eye incase it somehow got loose and attacked us.
Are there any differences (visual) between the 2? It was a staffie type but looked meaner? Am i just paranoid?

(pitbulls banned in UK) x

pitbull

staffy I think staffs are not as strong i used to have one he was lovely he got old and died though.

And just because they are banned dosent mean people dont have them...i knew someone who had one when she had a baby and she told me it was a pit bull i reported it to the rspca. The dog was taken off her i dont know what they did though.

Staffys are smaller even the long legged staffs are smaller then pitbulls, pitbulls generally have a sleeker head, for me I think they look like an athletic version of a staffy lol

I dont think pitbulls look meaner infact the one or two I have seen look quite cute really, it could of been any kind of crossbreed that you saw x

Well for a start I have a bulldog, she looks mean but just cos she has a look like that doesnt mean she is vicious! In fact she is by far more placid than my old dog and she was a golden retriver, she is lively but not at all vicious.

As for the difference there are some differences. Pitbulls are illegal because of their heritage, because they were born to fight but so were bulldogs and staffs.

My dog would back down from any dog, she always has. Ive met a pomeranian with more bite than my Twix!

The Staffordshire Terrier and the Pitbull Terrier are arguably the same breed. Back when Pitbulls were (and they once were!) the "all American Dog" (remember little Rascals? The dog was a Pitbull) there was no difference.

I can't remember exactly what happened, but I remember reading that some Kennel Club allowed owners to register their dogs as American Staffordshire Terriers. They only opened registration for 2 days, and they allowed only the smaller, and "gentler" pitbulls to be registered.

Basically after that, they deemed all the others as Pitbull Terriers.

It sounds dumb that I can't reference what happened word for word. I read it in a book about the History of Pitbulls.

And this was waaay back in the 1930's. But it was something like that. So some argue there is no difference in the breed, other's argue that the Staffordshire has been bred out of fighting, and into a gentler, family type dog.

I find that if someone asks the breed of my dogs, and seem like they'd be disraught knowing they're pitbulls, we say they are Staffies (most people have no idea that they are a very similar breed)

If someone looks knowledgeable on the breed, I admit they're pitbulls. I'm not ashamed of owning pitbulls, I would just rather have people get over the stereotype and get to know my dogs before they make judgements.

You'll notice that (if you live where the breed is NOT illegal), that advertisements and even the SPCA will list them as Staffordshire Terriers because of the buzz around the term "Pitbull".

The world tends to NEED a dog breed to hate. First it was the Doberman, then the Rotweiller, now the Pitbull. They're just dogs. People need to realize that. My mom's 7lbs Pomeranian attacks my 50lbs pitbull and she rolls onto her back and submits to him.

I'm not saying they don't bite, they don't attack. But have you seen how many irresponsible punk druggies buy pitbulls to help their ego?

If all American families were the number 1 owner of pitbulls, the dog would be splendid.

I have two pitbulls.

When I had just Lola, I was allowed to bring the toddler I nanny over to my house and hang out and her and Lola loved eachother. When we got Samson, the mother said she was uncomfortable with it.

I was fine with that. I would not let my 2 yr old go to someone elses house if they had two pitbulls.
But I would let my own toddler around my own pitbulls.

You know your dog, others don't.

And just because they are banned dosent mean people dont have them...i knew someone who had one when she had a baby and she told me it was a pit bull i reported it to the rspca. The dog was taken off her i dont know what they did though.

They would of put it to sleep x

Which breaks my heart....

I'm so glad that pitbulls and the like are completely legal here in BC.

I would die if someone took my dogs from me. My doggies have done nothing but loved everyone they've ever met.

Are you talking about American staffs inyour post Mindgames77? American staffs and pit bulls are much heavier and taller than english staffordshire bull terriers. I have a 15 year old staffordshire bull terrier, the sweetest dog ever :).

They look VERY different if they are bred properly. Probably a mix breed. If it didnt hassle you I wouldnt worry about it, just because it looked mean does not mean it is.

Which breaks my heart....

I'm so glad that pitbulls and the like are completely legal here in BC.

I would die if someone took my dogs from me. My doggies have done nothing but loved everyone they've ever met.

that's really sad :( I wouldn't report someone for owning one even though they're illegal, I'd feel to guilty for knowing I was responsible for the dogs death

Are you talking about American staffs inyour post Mindgames77? American staffs and pit bulls are much heavier and taller than english staffordshire bull terriers. I have a 15 year old staffordshire bull terrier, the sweetest dog ever :).

Yeah, American Staffies! They are basically the same thing as a Pitbull.

The bull terriers seem to take after the bull dog more, short and stalky.

Isabella SchMuffin:

“The media is flooded with stories of ‘evil pitbulls’. The news is only interested in terrifying tales of malicious dogs. Nobody talks about the thousands of good Samaritan pitbulls.”

Pitbulls score 83.4% passing rate with the American temperament test society. They rank 4th out of 122 breeds. There’s about 7 different kinds of pitbulls; blue nose, red nose, American terrier, Staffordshire, British Staffordshire, American Staffordshire, and Staffordshire bull terrier. In the 19th century, England, Ireland, and Scotland experimented cross breeding bulldogs and terriers. They chose terriers for their gameness and bulldogs for their strength and athleticism. The pitbull was used to bait bears, bulls, lions, and monkeys.
They were also cattle dogs and catch dogs for pigs. Pitbulls were to pin and control bigger animals. In roman times they worshipped them as a form of Mithras the warrior god. The Irish version of pitbull was known as ‘old family dog’ because they were considered perfect family pet, especially with children. They earned their keep as hunters, herders, guardians, and friends. In some places their even considered nanny dogs because their easily trained and predisposition to interact well with humans.
In 1835 people recognized they had feelings and took a stand to make the British government take notice. The British government banned bull-baiting. Pitbulls are eager to please, enthusiastic, willing to work, quick learners, obedient, smart, and need lots of exercise. They need positive exposure to people, children, and other animals at a very young age.
Mark twain featured a pitbull in a short book called “The celebrated jumping frog of Calaveras County.” Also a pitbull named nipper was in ‘The little rascals.’

They make excellent companions for humans. The government employed pitbulls for WWI and WWII, Sgt. Stubby was 26th in the Yankee division in France. He helped apprehend a German spy and was credited with saving lives of several soldiers in 1917. Pitbulls were extremely valuable on the battle field, carrying messages back and forth.
They are also used for search and rescue work. Government employed Popsicle, named #1 customs dog after many high profile drug busts. After WWII people started breeding irresponsibly. They were used to guard places of ill repute where drug deals were going on. This breed has experienced discrimination and misconceptions, myths of lock jaw, being vicious killers, and turning on people.
Pitbulls are commonly used as therapy and service dogs. Many famous people own pitbulls; Theodore Roosevelt, Helen Keller, Thomas Edison, Michael J. Fox, David Spade, Jon Stewart, Drew Barrymore, and Ken Howard.
Ken Howards pitbull; Shadow, saved his life once. Some other amazing pitbulls are; Weela she saved 29 dogs, 30 people, 13 horses, and 1 cat during a flood in California. Weezie saved his family from an armed intruder. Maya saved her owner from attack during a home invasion; she helped catch the perpetrator by retaining DNA on her fur. And Chief died after sustaining multiple bites while saving 2 women from a cobra.
My pitbulls are very friendly, loyal, and loving. My step-mom and I volunteer with ‘Hugabull’, they are a very helpful organization that saves mistreated, abandoned pitbulls.

“It is true that pitbulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm.” –Vicki Hearne.

When I was a vet tech, the worst bite I ever got was from a dachshund. The worst bite in the clinic was from a chow/akita mix the owner had gotten from a rescue. None of us were ever afraid to see a pitbull come through the door, because even the saddest old pitbulls--the ones kept chained in yards and owned by rednecks--were never aggressive to people. The breeds I found most prone to biting: Akitas, Cocker Spaniels, Australian shepherds, Rottweilers, Australian Cattle Dogs, Chihuahuas, Yorkshire Terriers, and MUTTS. And I can tell you that in 99% of those cases, the dogs wouldn't have been as bad as they were if the owners had bothered to train them.

It makes me sad when people show such breed bias. I have a German shepherd, and one of my husband's coworkers asked if we were going to make him live outside once the baby comes. No one asked that about the two labs we own. :growlmad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->