Dilema regarding BF and FF for my LO (not a debate please)

elephant29

Daddy, mummy, LO and bean
Reaction score
So my lovlies, here's my dilema;

Aria is EBF and has been since birth. She, on occassion, will take about 1/2 oz of expressed milk from a bottle but this is often a fight!

My worry is I am now due back at work in May fulltime (no other option as all flexitime was denied). What will I do if she needs feeding? I will be on nightshift but this is no comfort. I know she can go through the night without a feed but she choses not to at the minute. Also I am going to need sleep the next day. I will be able to give her the morning feed as I'll be home at 8.30am and the night feed as I wont leave till 8.30pm but what about in between and when I'm asleep the next day! I'm sooo scared!

I was going to try her on formula today but I have no clue what to do! She's had a BF this morning so on her next feed should I try it? What do I do? I've boiled a kettle and left it to cool (been over an hour now) and have hungry baby SMA (bought in the early days just in case).

Please someone offer suggestions as I'm getting myself into a panic that she's going to strave or I'll need to quit my job! I've tried a doidy cup but she preferred to chew it and I dont think its going to change anytime soon.

I've started weaning slightly. She's had banana for 3 days and I'm onto the 3rd day of porridge. It's BLW so she isnt eating much. Will it be too much for her wee tummy changing to formula?

xxx

I would say speak to your HV and see what they have to say.
You need to 'persuade' her that the bottle and formula is good (unless you are expressing to offer in the bottle). Which is all about perservance!
You have to be careful about stopping feeds cold turkey for you own health, so you may want to do half a BF and then top up with Formula or the other way round.
She may take a while to accept the bottle as it is very different.

However, she will not starve. If at the very end of it and you are back at work and she is not taking the bottle, she will once she realises you are not offering the boobie. I know that sounds harsh, but it is true. They will not starve themselves!

Don't know if that was much help or not. xx

Hey hun-my lo got mostly EBM for the first 4 months but allways had a few bottles of formula. It never did her anyharm, didnt pset her tummy and she took to it with no problem.

It might be that you will need to try a few different bottles-preferably one with a breast like teat such as TT Closer to nature and Nuby.

My friend has done the same thing over the last few weeks as she is going back to work next week. Introduced one bottle of formula a day and she is now just on BF morning and night and bottles of formula inbetween. Her lo was fine and her boobs were helped by not going cold turkey:thumbup:

You may need to work on getting her used to a bottle so might be worth trying EBM in a bottle first? Try her with 1 bottle and see how she gets on? Can she hold things? If she won't take a bottle, maybe a sippy cup?

To make the transition, you could try a few oz of FF then BF until she is satisifed. That might help her get used to the different taste of FF. Is she particularly hungry? The hungry baby F is quite thick, so not sure if a regular one might be better to try at first?

I dunno if any of this helps as I don't have any expereince, but will be in a similar situation soon myself and have started thinking how to work it!

yeah i would also use a level 1 milk.mix some ff with ebm, then gradually increase it so there is more formula.
im sorry that you couldnt get more flexible hrs

One thing I would say is that I don't know if she'll need "hungry baby" milk? That's designed to try and stave off weaning for babies who are draining massive amounts of milk and still wanting more. I don't know the exact differences, I think it may be slightly bulkier.

I just think you may find that hungry baby would be a bit much for her tummy, going straight from BM. You could try getting a few cartons of a stage 1 milk (Aptimil, C&G and SMA all do small cartons). That way you could also try a different one if the first one doesn't react well with her.

I hope you find a solution which works for you :hugs:

Thanks guys,

I've basically tried every bottle available, Dr Brown, Nuby, Avent, TT closer to naure. She has recently not fought so much with the TT ones so I've been sticking with these.

I've tried her with EBM and she wil take 1/2oz on a good day. I thought trying formula might be sensible as I wont have the chance to always express and just now I am not expressing a great deal as she is feeding alot (she's teething so more for comfort I think).

I forgot I have 2 cartons of Aptimal 1st milk so I tried this. She just sat and chewed the teet and then cried when I took it off her but chewed it again!

I've tried a sippy cup, doidy cup, all different bottles and am now at a complete loss.

I will obviously persevere with the expressing as I used to get 4oz in 10 mins.

I just panic now that work is getting ever closer.

I keep telling OH he NEEDS to try feeding her with the bottle as she may just be refusing me as she smells my milk. He keeps saying he will but with work and stiff he doesnt get a chance! He will be looking after her when I'm at work and last night he tried settling her and couldnt and I had to eventually feed her. This is what scares me as if i'm at work and this happens I dont know what we'll do as my work is 30 mins away and I dont drive! Argh!

xxx

You probably need to start a few trial runs, so you go out of the house as you would for work & let hubby deal with it. This way when it does really start in May you know it will be ok. Agree with a previous poster that your lo won't starve, they will take what is offered when hungry.

Im confused what u mean about why ur want to use formula, it would be easier for her to switch to a bottle if u used expressed milk, it took a long time (about two months with Avent Bottles which i then moved onto the closer to nature vary flow as she found it easier to drink in larger quantities. Avent teats are soft and show that they are for feeding as it pours out with out much sucking, use a number 3 teat. Once she can have two ounces from it try the vary flow closer to nature bottles and eventually more can be drank. Its a looooong slow process. Robyn would only feed from a bottle if i did it because she associated me with food. If u want to switch to formula which i've done now it really is best to leave it till you can bottle feed with expressed milk first. good luck, its hard work :p

Im confused what u mean about why ur want to use formula, it would be easier for her to switch to a bottle if u used expressed milk, it took a long time (about two months with Avent Bottles which i then moved onto the closer to nature vary flow as she found it easier to drink in larger quantities. Avent teats are soft and show that they are for feeding as it pours out with out much sucking, use a number 3 teat. Once she can have two ounces from it try the vary flow closer to nature bottles and eventually more can be drank. Its a looooong slow process. Robyn would only feed from a bottle if i did it because she associated me with food. If u want to switch to formula which i've done now it really is best to leave it till you can bottle feed with expressed milk first. good luck, its hard work :p

Thank you!

I was meaning it's been difficult for me to express lately because she is going through regression/growth spurt/teething and feeding quite a lot so I am not getting the chance to express. I did make time today and got 2 oz but she has completely refused it again and is just chewing on the teet. I will def try the leaving the house though as I need to get this nailed before work.

I didnt mind if I had to switch to formula which is why I thought I would try it, either ebm or formula is fine but I see what you mean about it being easier to switch to bottle with expressed milk first.

I'm so annoyed as I really want to BF till 12 mths but work is causing issues with doing this.

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->