Disappointed but happy at the same time...

Jade_Grenade

Reaction score
So went to the doctor yesterday to hear the heartbeat via doppler, was sooo excited and nervous...
Doctor heard it right off the bat, but by the time he called the hubby over to listen the doctor lost it and I'm afraid it all happened so fast I don't even know what I heard. He kept looking for about 5 mins afterwards but was unable to locate it again. Doctor said he was happy enough with what he heard and we wouldn't need to schedule an ultrasound till 19 weeks, which I'm happy about because he thinks everything is going along well....

However, I'm a little sad we didn't hear it, and now a little sadder that I won't get to see my babe for another 9 weeks.

I'm also worried that he couldn't find it again, but he said with my own blood flow to the uterus it can be really hard to hear at 10 weeks cause it's such a small heartbeat. Should I be worried??? I can't help but be....
:shrug:

Struggling to hear the heartbeat at 10 weeks is quite normal. Midwives in the UK dont listen in till the 16 week appointment so they dont cause unneccessary stress because the hb cant be found. So dont worry! x

Thank you for the reply, just a little concerned.
This is my first time around so I'm pretty clueless. Thought it was odd too that I won't have a ultrasound till 19 weeks, seems sooooo far away, especially when I read about everyone here getting them done as early as 9 weeks and some even sooner! :S

Oh well I guess no news is good news right! :)

with dd we heard the hb at 12 weeks but ds we couldn't hear anything at the 12 week appt so we had to wait till 16 weeks

I heard my baby's heartbeat for the first time yesterday and the dr had a hard time finding it....and then the baby moved and she had to look for it again.

i havent even heard it yet whenever i ask they (drs) just say its normal i wanna freaken hear it

When I was 20 weeks pregnant with my son, I was in a bad car crash. I was taken to the hospital in an ambulance, and since I was experience uterine contractions, they went to check for a heart beat. They tried for very long time. They never did find it. They even sent someone down from the maternity floor. They ended up giving me an u/s. I guess sometimes they just hide. Also, my daughter was always hard to find...it always took the DR several minutes to find it. My DR used to joke that she would get stage fright.

Our baby moves away from the doppler, sometimes to the 'back' of my womb - usually at bedtime!!! :lol: Now the heartbeat is amazingly more strong than it was before (first heard HB at 11+4) and we can hear Bean so clearly, and it's much more evident when he/she moves away from the doppler (they can hear the ultrasounds apparently, so they move away from it)... Don't worry! It's still pretty early and our Babe's heartbeat has just got so much stronger over the past couple of weeks. :) Have you considered getting a doppler for use at home, or do you think it would worry you too much if you couldn't find the hb?

xx

i think most doctors dont usaully listen so early because it is that much harder to find and keep track of to do the bmp. i didnt hear until 16 weeks.

Thank you for the reply, just a little concerned.
This is my first time around so I'm pretty clueless. Thought it was odd too that I won't have a ultrasound till 19 weeks, seems sooooo far away, especially when I read about everyone here getting them done as early as 9 weeks and some even sooner! :S

Oh well I guess no news is good news right! :)

Did you decide you didn't want the nuchal scan at 12weeks where they test for down syndrome and stuff? If so, that's why you aren't having a scan. Most people don't get early scans (before 10 weeks) unless they need it for dating because they aren't sure how far along they are, they have bleeding or have had previous issues. My first scan is at 11w6d for my nuchal scan and the next one will be at 20 weeks approx.

Thanks for all the replies!
I feel better knowing they move away from the sound. That seems very likely since the doctor heard it then we couldn't afterwards.
I haven't considered buying a doppler, because I'd prob drive myself crazy.
As for nuchal scan, no idea what it is, doctor didn't mentioned anything about it. :/

Nuchal scans aren't routinely offered by many doctors (that I'm aware of at least ) in Alberta... I'm going to be asking about them this week though

Wow. I wouldn't think the services offered would be so different across the country. I think they offer the nuchal scan to all pregnant women here in Ontario regardless of age, though it's more strongly encouraged when in your mid-30's and older.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->