Disphangia

vixxen

Mom of 4
Reaction score
Has anyone has much expirience with this? improve with time or get worse?.
My daughter can swallow a small amount at the moment,and is topped up via ng tube.As time is going on her oral feeds are declining and is starting to be topped up more and more ,its very disheartening.:nope:

Hi, try not to be disheartened! Our daughter, amongst many other problems, had dysphagia due to her inability to co-ordinate suck, swallow, breathe. Which then got worse due to severe oral aversion. She has been tube fed since birth 100% as she couldn't take anything orally, and when she started to eat (12 months ago, when she was 2 1/2), she had to learn how to swallow from scratch, which has taken a long time. She will now eat some foods, but still hasn't mastered swallowing everything and spits out sometimes. We're tube weaning, and she's now down to 350 calories by tube!

It will get better, but it's a long road. If your daughter ends up being 100% reliant on the tube for a while don't give up. If she is medically able to take food orally the tube won't be forever.

Our daughter had an NG for 15 months, which was then changed to a G-tube, as we realised she needed it for the longer term (she also had operation to stop her being sick at the same time). Once the NG was gone we found her wanting to put more things in her mouth, NG's aren't the best for encouraging swallowing, however G-tubes are a more permanent option. If it is mentioned, I'd seriously consider it, and personally I wished we'd done it sooner - but for us, well more for me, that decision made things more permanent, and I found that difficult.

Every child is different, and the above is just based on my experience, but I do hope it helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->