Ditching the dummy at 4/5/6 months latest

CLH_X3

Love my two babies!
Reaction score
Has anyone done this ?
Iv noticed recently my lo needs it for all naps and to settle properly at 7-8pm
She seems to be waking a lot for her dummy during the night and I'm thinking of taking it away, will this help her not wake up ... And let her sleep better
I know I'm going to get a few rough days/weeks til she learns to live without it but...

Anyone done this as 4/5/6 months ?

I'm at the same stage as you.. frequent wakings for the dummy/pacifier. I think trying to get rid of it now will just make it worse though. I actually assume that as he gets older he will learn to put it back in himself. Many kids give it up on their own eventually and we only use it at naps/bedtime or when he's sick etc.
I don't want to have a fight over it if it may be given up all on his own, you know?

Oh, and I keep wishing they had an invention that would strap the thing to their mouths with a strap around the back of the head :haha: I know that would be totally unsafe, but boy would it be nice too.

We got rid of abi's at about 9/10 months and just went cold turkey, it was hard to begin with as she couldn't self settle without it but after about 36hrs she seemed to have forgotten about it.
Good luck x

I took my LOs dummy away at about 5 months, but he was showing signs that he didnt want it. He kept taking it out as soon as it was in his mouth and playing with it. In all honestly I dont think he was that bothered I took it away. It did make him sleep better at night, as he wasnt waking up crying wanting his dummy back.

I've been told several times it takes 3 days to break the habbit and for me this was true. If you decided to do it, I would suggest going cold turkey straight away and actually throwing the dummies out so there is no temptation.

I've been thinking about getting rid of our LOs as she's now only got 1 dummy left (she always looses them) But she's currently teething :(

I think it's best to do it at an early age if your wanting to do it? x

I think il get rid of them Around Xmas do my oh got time off work so he can help

My son is nearly 7 months and only had his dummy for naps and at night but on Friday I decided to just ditch the dummy as he was showing signs that he could sleep without it. I posted about it here and was told not to bother, to let him keep it, but we'd already had a couple of naps without it so I just went cold turkey.

It has been a LOT easier than I thought, thanks to the ssshhh/pat method (look it up). He generally needs me a bit more to fall asleep and I don't think he's sleeping as long as he was with his dummy, but it's all baby steps (literally) at the moment. We have had a lot of tears at some naptimes or if he wakes up earlier than he'd like, but i've just comforted him through them and have never had to leave him to cry or anything.

I think the key is to have a really good wind down with your baby. Before I used to just put his dummy in and leave the room whereas now I have to cuddle him for a while and try to chill him out but I'm not bothered by that, it's nice having the cuddles! Last night I read him his book, sang a song to him in the dark, gave him his little lovey, told him I loved him and left the room. He moaned (not crying) for a few mins then fell fast asleep by himself! Amazing stuff.

I found this really difficult. I tried to take away the dummy at around 4 months and it didn't go well and then i felt bad because I was doing it for my benefit (not getting up in the night to put it back in) rather than his. So I gave in but he is now showing signs of not wanting it at 5 and a half months, when i put it in he pushes it straight back out with his tongue and at the moment has a horrible cold so can't use the dummy anyway as he is having to breathe through his mouth so this may be the time to get rid of it anyway.

You have to do what is best for you but I think the best way is to go cold turkey if you are going to do it, but be prepared it is hard!

I took Imogens away at 7 months old! I agree, the earlier the better!! If you are planning on ditching the dummy then do it before LO can pick it up and put back into his/her mouth.
Imogen had hers for nap times and to go to sleep with and again would wake in the night for it!! Once she was put in her own bedroom at 6 months, having to go in at night just to put her dummy back in wasnt fun!! I just went cold turkey! First night was difficult as she was quite addicted to it for sleep time, second night was hard but come the third night it got easier. I must admit it probably took at least a week for her to completely forget about it. But I am glad I done it.
Good luck :)

How did u all resettle ur lo during the night without the dummy?

Our LO kicked his at right before 6 months. We didn't have to do anything fortunately he just didn't want it anymore.

See Charlie does all that it drives me mad, I'm forever getting up in the night to put it back in and he used to sttn, every night I think god damn dummy I've had enough of them. But then I think well that's his comfort and it's me that gave it to him in the first place so who am I to now take away something he needs so much. I'm hoping he'll grow out if it a little more then I will go for it. Love the ideas of strapping it on if only!

I did my eldest about 5 months. I have a passionate hate for them that i can't explain and both of mine have needed them lol!

Start once asleep taking it out, remove it and hold under there chin to stop them feeling the "pull" out and looking for it. This will stop them relying on it during sleep as much, and just try distraction when they'd need it before trying the dummy. Think this is what we did, just trying to rely on it less and less

Yh that's what I have done today .. I literally only used it twice during the day and sen she went down for sleep I pulled it out ..

She's going through sleep regression ATM to which makes it harder

How did u all resettle ur lo during the night without the dummy?

We ditched at 5 mths. To resettle in the night I'd start with shush-pat, then try PUPD & as a last resort offered water from a bottle. I also introduced a lovey so she had something else to soothe her. We went cold turkey & like other posters say - it's just 3 days to break a habit. It wasn't even remembered by day 3 :thumbup:

My LO doesn't need it for bedtime, but she does need it for daytime naps. Occasionally I use it in the night (like at the moment she has cold so needs re-settling sometimes), but most nights she's normally ok without it.

Should I take it out once she has fallen asleep in day?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->