DIY/ painting question

lau86

Reaction score
Has anyone painted any wood in their house to spruce it up a bit? My kitchen is a sort of dark oak/ pine cupboards and I'm wanting to paint them a cream colour (can't afford a new kitchen and don't have the time anyway). Just wondering whether it was a success and what paint you used? Also thinking the same about my fireplace surround. They're both old and a bit dodgy looking but I don't want to make a mess of them! Thanks x

I would suggest a wood paint. We painted our kitchen when we first moved into our house because we didn't have the funds to get a new kitchen. Because we were just making it look better we didn't bother with getting proper wood paint. After nearly 5 years it doesn't look good lol.

If you go to somewhere like B&Q then you should be able to get wood undercoat paint and proper top coat paint. You'd be as well to also just give the wood a light sanding to make it fairly smooth.

Hi hun, i'd def suggest sanding first to give it a nice finish and then using a proper wood paint, it'll probs look fab, you've tempted me to have a go at my own! good luck! xxx

I've had a google and they recommend sanding first too, but I don't get it. Surely sanding is going to make it rougher, not smoother? I mean the cupboards are covered in a varnish so why wouldn't I just give a coat of primer then paint on?

No sanding makes it smoother hun. Not sure why but I suppose it'll remove the varnish so the colour is more how it should be if that makes sense Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->