DIY Salt Dough Ornaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
Salt dough ornaments are a simple DIY that kids of any age can make, and they are incredibly easy to clean up.

Click HERE!

I plan to make some with my daughter this year! 😀

I want to make some with DS this week x

What kind of paint do you need to use?

Probably I silly question but does it matter on which flour? I only have self raising in :haha:

Plain flour only as they need to go in the oven, but I guess as there's no egg they won't rise with self raising.

I shall be making these with DD. Going to do the Santa handprints too (upside down hand).

I've used all kinds of flour without a problem but we let them air dry for a few days :flower: and we use regular crayola washable paint.

We've made handprint ones which can be hung for all the grandparents and will be having a go at some other things when I can decide what. We love salt dough in this house!

Youd be better off with air drying clay. Salt dough will eventually go off.

Ebay, amazon or any crafty shop. Yeah it'll take a few years to go off, depending on how damp the storage is. If you want it to last a year its fine but i wanted the ornaments to last forever so using clay

Looks like I'm off to buy clay before we get making then! I wanted to make the santa upside down handprint ornaments to keep too

Thanks. I wanted them to last too... Will be buying supplies next week to make over the holidays :)

Mix PVA and water (decoupage) and paint it over the salt dough to seal it!

Got mine in the oven now. Dough was a bit sticky and I ran out of flour so next best thing I could find was... talcum powder :dohh: taking longer to bake but they smell a lot better!

UPDATE! - Hardened on tops and sides but still doughy on some parts on bottom.

This is the second yr of trying to make then, and they have not worked out, i think its too humid here. might try finding the air dry clay though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"