Do/did you have a 'routine' with your newborn

No way! I was and still am baby lead! A new born is too young to start any kind of routine IMO!!

Lol it's not like I'm going to have him regimented from the minitue he's born. I was just wondering if others have a little bit of structure.
I'm baby led also and our. 2.5 year old has only just gotten herself into a bedtime routine that she's happy with.

Im Just a curious, laid back mummy wondering what others did.

I still keep dd2 downstairs with me in the evening and take her up to bed when I go about 10pm, sometimes she's awake, sometimes she sleeps. Sometimes she's just stuck to my boob through the evening. When I go upstairs I change her nappy and sometimes feed her in bed again if she needs it. If not I lie her down and she sleeps, she does anywhere between a 4-8 hour stretch first, then wakes for a feed and does another 3-4 hour stretch.

I plan on introducing a bath in a few weeks once oh is back from work abroad to give me a hand juggling the two of them.

i kind of do i started bed time routine a couple weeks ago - not by choice though. my pre-schooler is having bath/pj/book/milk so I do the same with DS. It seems to calm him down but at the same time it's a nightmare with two of them.

It does say new born! I just thought you were referring to a bran new bubu! My routine didn't start till he was a few months old! Didn't mean to come across like I was ramming the last post down your throat sorry x

Nope, no real routines here. We didn't really intentionally start a bedtime routine of any sort until 4 months and not in earnest really until about 5 months. She fed when she needed to and then I'd go to bed, like you did, after the early evening feed (sometime between 7-9pm). My husband would wear her in the wrap until she needed to eat again (usually around 10-11pm) and then again until about 1am. I'd get as much sleep as I could in between, then he'd bring her up to bed around 1am and I'd feed her again and do whatever I had to do the rest of the night. We co-slept (still do!) so if she'd sleep next to me, which is did much more easily after about 8 weeks, then we'd do that. Sometimes I'd just end up holding her while she slept or fed most of the night in the early weeks. I guess you could call that a strategy more than a routine. It wasn't for her benefit, just so we could trade off on getting sleep. I would get quality sleep the first half of the night and my husband would get some sleep the second half. It worked for us. We'd do that next time. Personally, I don't think there's any point in trying to force a routine that you don't settle into naturally. If you find things fall into a routine early on, great. But the early weeks are hard. I think do whatever works to get yourself through them feeling healthy and happy and as well rested as possible. There's plenty of time for routines later on. But really what worked for us was just doing everything 50-50 as much as possible (as much as you can with BF) and taking sleeping in turns when needed. Sometimes my husband would just sit up most of the night holding her when I was really exhausted and needed sleep.

Yes and I don't think it's ever too early to start a routine.

At 2 weeks, we would do bath, bottle and bed around 8-9pm. He still slept downstairs with us at that point, but we turned the lights off and just had the TV on with all lights off. From 7 weeks, he was going upstairs on his own to our room and then 9 weeks into his own room. Obviously, bath was a lot earlier after a few weeks. I have had an easy baby and I know I'm just lucky, but my LO thrives on a routine and we have never had any problems getting him to sleep and I'm 10 months in.

Hope you don't mind me forum hopping (preparing for a newborn!).
I have no idea what to do at bed time, but I like a routine myself and find myself a bit lost without one - not too regimented but I have an order to things lol, so I imagine we'll fall into some sort of routine fairly quickly...not timed so to speak, but doing the same things in the same order each night. It just makes sense to me, so I'm glad to read that other people do it too!

No routine here.. but the mast 2 nights and also tonight, Ella has fallen asleep at 9/9.30pm (she falls asleep in mine or ohs arms). Once we know she is sound asleep, we put her in her moses basket in our bedroom. I usually go to bed before 10pm so shes not there herself for long!
The last 2 nights, she hasnt woken until 4.45am then had a bottle and went straiht back down until 8.30ish. Im hoping its the same tonight but who knows! Maybe it was just coincidence!

I think rather than go for a set routine so early the best way to differentiate between night and day is the environment. Once I deem it is bedtime (usually 10.30-11pm) ALL feeds are in bed, with a dim light on rather than full light (I need a light otherwise I'd have no nipple!) and I never more than whisper to him and stroke his head whilst he's feeding. During the day we feed downstairs in daylight or with full light on and chat away to him whilst he's feeding in a more excited manner. I've noticed in the last 3/4 days he's been calmer during his night feeds (even the one just before being put to bed) as though he recognises he's winding down for the night. Since doing this his day time feeds have been a little more frequent, his alert time in the day extended and the spacing between night feeds extended though length of the feeds are a little longer like he's stocking up.

Nope, no real routines here. We didn't really intentionally start a bedtime routine of any sort until 4 months and not in earnest really until about 5 months. She fed when she needed to and then I'd go to bed, like you did, after the early evening feed (sometime between 7-9pm). My husband would wear her in the wrap until she needed to eat again (usually around 10-11pm) and then again until about 1am. I'd get as much sleep as I could in between, then he'd bring her up to bed around 1am and I'd feed her again and do whatever I had to do the rest of the night. We co-slept (still do!) so if she'd sleep next to me, which is did much more easily after about 8 weeks, then we'd do that. Sometimes I'd just end up holding her while she slept or fed most of the night in the early weeks. I guess you could call that a strategy more than a routine. It wasn't for her benefit, just so we could trade off on getting sleep. I would get quality sleep the first half of the night and my husband would get some sleep the second half. It worked for us. We'd do that next time. Personally, I don't think there's any point in trying to force a routine that you don't settle into naturally. If you find things fall into a routine early on, great. But the early weeks are hard. I think do whatever works to get yourself through them feeling healthy and happy and as well rested as possible. There's plenty of time for routines later on. But really what worked for us was just doing everything 50-50 as much as possible (as much as you can with BF) and taking sleeping in turns when needed. Sometimes my husband would just sit up most of the night holding her when I was really exhausted and needed sleep.

Sounds like our early days. Worked for us :thumbup:

From three weeks we bathed him or top
Abd tailed him around eight... Just took him to bathroom so he got used to
It. Then he dozed on
Our bed til ten then bottle then his crib. Sometimes he wouldn't sleep til
11 but from ten weeks he started sleeping after his bath Abd I left him upstairs in his crib with monitor. Don't worry about a day routine .... They'll work that out

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->