Do i have mastitis/infection? Or is this normal in beginning?

marycotter567

Reaction score
My baby is 10 days old; i'm breastfeeding only. The 2nd or 3rd day i noticed tat the nipple on my right breast was a bit rough/bruised up. I was putting lanolin on my nipples after feedings since then. However, I noticed that breast got a large lump on the right side by my armpit and a bit hot.. that went away after i continued to breastfeed and massage plus warm showers. I dont have a fever and no more lump/breast looks normal just a slight spot where fles is exposed on the nipple (like a tiny piece was bit off?) but that breast now has a dull ache almost nonstop and during breastfeeding it hurts so much the entire time... much different from the left one.

I am trying to make an appt to see my doctor because i'm worried. My mom had mastitis after breastfeeding me and had to have her breast cut and drained - ouch!.

Does it sound like this is what I have or is this normal during the beginnings of breastfeeding?

My baby is 10 days old; i'm breastfeeding only. The 2nd or 3rd day i noticed tat the nipple on my right breast was a bit rough/bruised up. I was putting lanolin on my nipples after feedings since then. However, I noticed that breast got a large lump on the right side by my armpit and a bit hot.. that went away after i continued to breastfeed and massage plus warm showers. I dont have a fever and no more lump/breast looks normal just a slight spot where fles is exposed on the nipple (like a tiny piece was bit off?) but that breast now has a dull ache almost nonstop and during breastfeeding it hurts so much the entire time... much different from the left one.

I am trying to make an appt to see my doctor because i'm worried. My mom had mastitis after breastfeeding me and had to have her breast cut and drained - ouch!.

Does it sound like this is what I have or is this normal during the beginnings of breastfeeding?

It is normal for your nipples to look abit bruised - this will pass in time. :thumbup: Is there any nipple pain when LO latches or during the feed?

It sounds like you had a blocked milk duct - is there still a lump you can feel in the breast? You may not have got it totally unblocked. Check your latch is good and keep feeding. Even once the blockage is cleared it can still ache for a day or two until the tissue in the breast returns to normal.

Do try to get the appointment with your doctor, even if just for peace of mind. :thumbup:

It sounds like your mum had a breast absess. This is different to, but can be caused by, mastitis. From what you say about having no fever it sounds like you don't have mastitis but be alert for red areas on the breast and flu like symptoms. :hugs:

Well I saw my doctor today and she said my breast is not infected but is still a bit lumpy. She suggested I press down massaging towards the nipple and apply warm compresses. She said the nipple has some exposed flesh which is most likely due to baby biting a tiny piece off! I didnt know that was possible as baby doesnt have teeth yet...
She also said that if it hurts too much to feed him on that breast to pump instead. I will try to tough it out and continue to feed from both breasts now that I know it's not an infection and that it will get better.

Glad theres no sign of infection :happydance:

Oh yes - they can really clamp down - it's surprising when they have no teeth but doesn't half hurt!!! :hugs:

I think your doctor will be able to clarify things for you. But in the meantime, I would still massage the area slightly during feeding and continue with the lanolin. Your nipples are taking a slight beating during the first days of breastfeeding, but they should toughen up soon enough.

clogged milk ducts are very painful!! And nursing wont help it get softer if it is truly clogged until it unclogs.
Early on it bf can feel painful. I know I could hardly stand the early stages of bf'ing because my nipples killed and my entire boob area was so sore and swollen. For me it took 3 weeks to finally feel more normal.
Mastitis feels like a clogged duct- part of your breast will be hard and painful but you will also feel very ill and feverish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->