do or will any of you give a multivitamin drops to your lo?

In theory yes, in practice he won't take it so I think he's only had them twice!

hmmm not quite sure on this subject as part of me thinks dont mess but when my boy has a fussy day,it does cross my mind...sorry not much help,id be interested on opinions on here x

I give my 3 yr old chewable ones. There's no way i could get either of them to have the drops. I don't believe my youngests diet needs supplementing anyway, plus she is still bf

I used abidec for my dd2 who was a 32 weeker, it was given to me by the hospital when she was discharged from nicu and I had to put it in her milk once a day I think. I've never bothered with any of the others who have been full term babies, thier diet seemed to be enough :)

I give LO abidec every morning with her breakfast. Its easy to pop in as its in a little syringe that i put towards the back of her mouth and she takes no problem. My HV told me to give them regardless but im not totally sure it was the right advice as im sure shes getting everything she needs from a very varied diet. Im going to ask another HV and see what her opinion is.

I give LO abidec every morning with her breakfast. Its easy to pop in as its in a little syringe that i put towards the back of her mouth and she takes no problem. My HV told me to give them regardless but im not totally sure it was the right advice as im sure shes getting everything she needs from a very varied diet. Im going to ask another HV and see what her opinion is.

this it it.... prob be the wrong think to do in future years! im not sure either :nope: i dont think i really trust supplementing with vits but then my LO is being qite fussy with food so??? x

I give multivitamin to my DD when I remember. I asked the HV last week why they recommend it now and it's recommended by the Dept of Health due to the increase in rickets. This is probably due to uk's rubbish weather, kids staying indoors more and increased use in factor 50. Our kid's bodies aren't making so much vit D. :flower:

I give multivitamin to my DD when I remember. I asked the HV last week why they recommend it now and it's recommended by the Dept of Health due to the increase in rickets. This is probably due to uk's rubbish weather, kids staying indoors more and increased use in factor 50. Our kid's bodies aren't making so much vit D. :flower:

Actually i have heard this too. Thinking about it thats what the HV said to me when she told me to give them anyway.

Bear in mind though that virtually all baby multivitamin drops contain d2 which is a form of vitamin D that is not natural to the human body thus it is more poorly absorbed and it can take much longer for levels to increase. Vitamin d3 is the form that the body can access easily, it's not vegan and may not be suitable for those with lanolin allergy as that is where it is derived from. D2 at the 400iu level that is in most baby multivitamin drops may not be adequate. I know adult d2 supplements tend to contain 2-2.5 times the level you'd get in a d3 containing supplement, to compensate for this. Infant formulas contain the same level as vitamin drops but it is d3 xx

Bear in mind though that virtually all baby multivitamin drops contain d2 which is a form of vitamin D that is not natural to the human body thus it is more poorly absorbed and it can take much longer for levels to increase. Vitamin d3 is the form that the body can access easily, it's not vegan and may not be suitable for those with lanolin allergy as that is where it is derived from. D2 at the 400iu level that is in most baby multivitamin drops may not be adequate. I know adult d2 supplements tend to contain 2-2.5 times the level you'd get in a d3 containing supplement, to compensate for this. Infant formulas contain the same level as vitamin drops but it is d3 xx

So its already in a lot of formulas,so no need to take multivits?

isnt vit d in eggs and other foods like nuts?

It's in all formulas at that level as it is legally required in the UK, the farley's formulas used to contain vitamin d2 but they were all discontinued a few years ago. All infant and follow on formulas now contain the RDA of d3. If your baby or toddler is having 500ml of formula a day they don't need vitamin drops. I'm not sure about nuts but I believe that eggs do contain some vitamin D, as do some types of oily fish, fortified cereals and most dairy substitutes. Evaporated milk and powdered milk has to have it added by law, a throwback from when these things were used as homemade infant formula, but there is no requirement for fresh or uht animal milks to have it added and naturally animal milks are a poor source of vitamin D :) xx

It's in all formulas at that level as it is legally required in the UK, the farley's formulas used to contain vitamin d2 but they were all discontinued a few years ago. All infant and follow on formulas now contain the RDA of d3. If your baby or toddler is having 500ml of formula a day they don't need vitamin drops. I'm not sure about nuts but I believe that eggs do contain some vitamin D, as do some types of oily fish, fortified cereals and most dairy substitutes. Evaporated milk and powdered milk has to have it added by law, a throwback from when these things were used as homemade infant formula, but there is no requirement for fresh or uht animal milks to have it added and naturally animal milks are a poor source of vitamin D :) xx

thank you summer rain

hmmm dont think my LO is getting 500ml now :wacko: and we are poor fish eaters as they dont seem to like it :wacko: gonna keep trying though...they have lots of milled seeds and nuts but may have to cut that right back as they have both been having sore bums.

was shying away from vits but maybe i should start giving them...

DS got them everyday (starting at 6 months) and disgusting as those drops are, he never minded, I just squirted in his mouth everyday before his breakfast and that was it. The ones I used though were prescribed by his pead and also had flouride in them. His first trip to the dentist the dentist asked me if he had been on flouride from his pead and was pleased when I said yes. He told me it's for the adult teeth. I know there's flouride in tap water, but how much? Idk, I take a vitamin daily and now I give ds a liquid one that has added magnesium (he's ADHD and this helps) and is also a whole food suppliment so it's less synthetic and instead derived from actual food sources.

Lo was sent home from the NICU with Poly Vi Sol (Enfamil's infant vitamin drops) and I used to put them in her bottle once a day, but she's too smart for that now lol and won't drink the bottle and cries (I don't blame her, they are nasty) and no way no how could I get it in her mouth straight, so she doesn't get them for now. She drinks plenty of formula and is on fortified cereal to help with GERD, so I'm not worried about it for now. Once she needs the flouride (I think it's 6 months?) I'll switch the water I make her formula with to the kind with added flouride.

You can buy Vegan D3 now. It's in spray form, you spray it on your tongue. It's called Vitashine, just Google it. My brother and husband are Vegan and my brother gets it off the internet. The kids and I are veggie so we have the lanolin based D3.

I start vitamin syrup once they are of formula.

You can buy Vegan D3 now. It's in spray form, you spray it on your tongue. It's called Vitashine, just Google it. My brother and husband are Vegan and my brother gets it off the internet. The kids and I are veggie so we have the lanolin based D3.

I start vitamin syrup once they are of formula.

Thanks for that I knew there were other supposedly vegan d3 supplements out there but upon looking into them I found while they had found a way to reproduce them not using lanolin their origin was lanolin based. Thought this was the same but seems it is approved by the vegan society and comes from lichen. They do capsules as well think I will go for those rather than a spray :) xx

ETA: I mean the capsules for myself, though the spray looks useful for kids

I use the ones that the NHS sell through your HV (or at our baby weigh in clinic). They're £1.80 a jar and have lasted me about 4 months so far. They taste alright too, he loves them!

I asked my HV about this as my LO is nearly 8 months and only just manages 3x 6oz bottles in a 24 hour period (sometimes she doesn't finish the bottle and I just cannot get her to take any more) - the HV said they are mainly worried about vitamin D intake and that if she was having a serving of full fat dairy at every meal then not to worry with the supplements

Seems the advice we all get is different, it's too confusing :wacko:

I asked my HV about this as my LO is nearly 8 months and only just manages 3x 6oz bottles in a 24 hour period (sometimes she doesn't finish the bottle and I just cannot get her to take any more) - the HV said they are mainly worried about vitamin D intake and that if she was having a serving of full fat dairy at every meal then not to worry with the supplements

Seems the advice we all get is different, it's too confusing :wacko:

The problem is that in the UK dairy products generally don't contain vitamin D xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->