• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

do u believe in god?

Actually the Christian Easter is based on the Jewish Passover, because it remembers the time of year when Jesus was crucified and resurrected. It is the only celebration that has any basis in the Bible. I would agree that other holidays such as Christmas aren't Christian at all, and they aren't recognised by many Christians.

Easter is also based on a Pagan fertility festival

Yes, but the two have nothing to do with each other. They have completely different roots and just happen to take place at similar times of year. It would be inaccurate to say that the Christian Easter is based on pagan festivals as it is totally independent of that.

The word 'Easter' comes from 'Eostre' which was an anglo-saxon pagan goddess, who according to some historians had a number of depicted incarnations; one of which was a rabbit or hare. Hence the 'easter bunny'. Also the whole concept of eggs as a symbol for fertility and new life, rebirth and so on were very much a part of the pagan festivities thousands of years ago in the UK. Even the tradition of making Easter bonnets has its origins in Paganism. So some of the 'cultural' aspects of Easter do have pagan origins even if the actual Christian concept as to why Easter is celebrated, do not. In most countries the name of Easter derives from the Hebrew name for passover, pesach, for example in Welsh it is Pasg, but in English the pagan origin name has been retained. xx

Also i have to question the cannon in which the bible was pulled together...why were other gospels not included...what gave constantine the authority to disregard the gospels of say thomas? also how do we know what is written in the bible you hold has any relevance to the bible written in 100AD? my parents collect them and i have read large sections of many and i know the bible is not to be taken literally but even still there are huge differences from one version to the next.yes they all tell the same teaching of love, but the laws/rules/guideline differ dramtacially...so how can one build a 'religion' on this?

Quick reply as im about to go out....

It depends firstly on whether you believe that the bible is inspired of God. If you do then you would have complete confidence that its been preserved up to our day as it intended to be, after all it has great meaning and application for us today, more so than ever before in history.

The so called bible book of Thomas for instance doesnt harmonise like the rest of the bible does, its not even written like a Gospel and quotes Jesus as saying things which are just strange in comparison with other gospels dont even match with how a rabbi at that time would speak. Its quite obvious upon study of books that some say should be included in the bible, that they just dont match with the the rest of the bibles intricate and harmonious nature from its beginning to end.

The Infancy Gospel of Thomas describes young Jesus as a mean-spirited child who deliberately caused another child’s death. The apocryphal Acts of Paul and Acts of Peter emphasize complete abstinence from sexual relations and even depict the apostles as urging women to separate from their husbands. The Gospel of Judas depicts Jesus as laughing at his disciples for praying to God in connection with a meal. Such notions are at odds with what is found in the canonical books.—Mark 14:22; 1 Corinthians 7:3-5; Galatians 3:28; Hebrews 7:26.

There is no question of any one’s having excluded them from the New Testament: they have done that for themselves.

Also the discovery of the dead sea scrolls between 1947 and 1955 and other archeological finds enabled bible translators not only to compare with the translations of the time to prove their accuracy but also to enable even more accurate translations in modern day, for example the restoration of Gods name as it appeared over 7000 times in holy writings but had been removed either completely or other than a few places like at Psalms 83:18

The scrolls are also important because they have enabled scholars to gather an immense amount of information about how the Bible was written and how it was transmitted from generation to generation. These old scrolls include copies of books of the Hebrew Scriptures. They date from 100 to 200 years before Jesus was born. One of the scrolls is a copy of the book of Isaiah. Before this was found the oldest copy of the book of Isaiah available in Hebrew was one that had been made nearly 1,000 years after Jesus was born. When these two copies of Isaiah were compared there were only very small differences in them, most of which were small variations in spelling! This means that in more than 1,000 years of copying there had been no real change!

There are more than 1,700 ancient copies of the various portions of the Hebrew Scriptures available. By carefully comparing these many very old copies, even the few mistakes copyists made can be found and corrected (likewise comparing many translations eliminates disrepencies)Also, there are thousands of very old copies of the Greek Scriptures, some of which copies date back nearly to the time of Jesus and his apostles.

The Bible is also historically accurate and reliable. Its accounts are specific. They include not only the names but also the ancestry of individuals

Much of the bible is to be taken literally. Its an historical record and full of past, present and future prophecies but you are right contains dreams and visions given to faithful servants of God, many of which have fulfillment in our day. Of course the bible book of Revelation is very symbolic but has a message we are yet to see fulfilled.

Jesus main teaching corinthians 13 (sorry prob most well known bible verse) teaches of love and respect and yet the chrisitians shown in the media seem to be the most judgemental people...instead of loving those who have been divorced, are Gay, struggling with life challenges they judge.

Absolutely, and God is the ultimate judge not us, so we need to concentrate on ourselves and make sure we are doing the right thing but Jesus knew that salvation depended on us upholding gods moral standards, he didnt accept all lifestyles.

:flower:

I agree i dont think that the bible was written from myth, but no one who studies religion can deny the similarities between the bible as we know it and that of ancient religions. now i am not saying that this mean that the bible is flaud...not at all...but that those men who wrote the bible in years of 20-100AD were inspired but also influenced by those religions that surrounded them.

Also i have to question the cannon in which the bible was pulled together...why were other gospels not included...what gave constantine the authority to disregard the gospels of say thomas? also how do we know what is written in the bible you hold has any relevance to the bible written in 100AD? my parents collect them and i have read large sections of many and i know the bible is not to be taken literally but even still there are huge differences from one version to the next.yes they all tell the same teaching of love, but the laws/rules/guideline differ dramtacially...so how can one build a 'religion' on this?

You will most likely find that people discuss (not bash) christianity more then others as it all they know. it the most taught and largest religon in the UK and most likey the same in the US.

I have the same feeling towards towards Isalm, Hinduism, Sikhism, ect that all have brilliant, spiritual, truthful teaching but unfortunatly the only thing man kind seems to be able to focus on is the differences.

such as Isalm and Christianity - after reading both the Quran (addmitted in english transalation) and the bible they are both hugly similar - and yet look at the last two thousand years they ahve been fighting each other to prove who is right, rather then celebrating the Love that there leaders taught.

I can only reiterate my point that faith/belief is a magical and wonderful thing yet religion has destroyed that.

Jesus main teaching corinthians 13 (sorry prob most well known bible verse) teaches of love and respect and yet the chrisitians shown in the media seem to be the most judgemental people...instead of loving those who have been divorced, are Gay, struggling with life challenges they judge.

now by no means do i apply the above statement to all chrisitians as they would be naieve but it is what is portrayed to those who dont study religion and this is why relgion seem so unapproachable.

alsa im sorry i have rambled about my own feelings, and im sure you can see where in a mix i lost my faith, and i apologies if any thing i say offends any one as that is not my intention...but it is very rare that one gets the opportunity to talk to others about religion with out being told to fudge off. (im even baned of talking about in my house hold in case i influence my siblings.)

i agree with the bolded. Yes, I believe in God, but, just because people SAY they are religious, or believe in God, or go to church...doesn't mean they are Jesus-like. Some of he most 'Christian' people I know (meaning they go to church, run the church ect) are the most non-Jesus like people. We are NOT here to judge...and this is one of the biggest reasons I do not usually attend a church. I pray and speak to God and pray to Mary, but I will NOT pretend to be God or Jesus and judge others on their personal lives. I have been abused, neglected, starved, and as an adult, lost babies and loved ones. I believe life is a test. God doesnt control what is thrown at us by life, but He is there to guide us, gives us strength, and I m angry at Him sometimes, but I know that is OK. He understands. Life IS hard.

Edited to add, I bolded the wrong part! Stupid iPad...meant the paragraph before

I just wanted to say that I think this is the most interesting discussion! And it's great that it's been very productive and civilized!:) It's quite fascinating to see where everyone stands, as a believer, non-believer or in-betweener, and that it really doesn't matter when we're asking for advice in other areas like parenting etc.

As for me, I'm a non-believer. I'm open to the idea of creation or an afterlife, but I haven't really given it enough thought to explain in what way. I'm actually really satisfied NOT knowing, because I feel that none of us can ever know for sure (we can't, otherwise everyone would believe the same thing, because there would be proof), so I'm very comfortable in my ignorance. But I like hearing about what others believe (as long as there's no preaching), and I love love love it when other people are knowledgeable!! Like Shanandboc, I love reading your posts, because you obviously have faith, but you also have knowledge, so I think it's cool to read your posts because you know a lot of really neat things! And I also love hearing about the connections Christianity has to past belief systems and how it's been shaped. Just very cool.

No, I don't believe in any god or higher power.
I find science stunningly deep, wondrous, and beautiful, and that is what explains the universe to me.
I am not an angry, anti-church athiest, though.
I have no problem with religions unless they are used to oppress others. I also do not think a church has any place in the state or in the science classroom, but otherwise, I am staunchly live and let live with the spiritual beliefs of others.

Thanks for your kind comments Cleo.

I never understand why these threads tend to get disrespectful? We should all be able to share our views without making fun of others beliefs :)

Two years ago I would have said absolutely no and would have considered myself an atheist. But now 2 years on I do have faith and believe in a higher power, but not in a religious sense. I do not see god as a man as portrayed in the bible but I see it as an all encompassing universal energy which links us all.

Personally I feel a lot happier since finding my new found faith and as I'm currently going through a very difficult time in my life (have recently been diagnosed with a chronic pain condition) it brings me a lot of contentment knowing that everything will be OK, that I need to trust and have faith in whatever comes my way, that overcoming adversity makes you stronger and that life is all about lessons and having a positive mental attitude will make every situation easier to deal with.

My beliefs are not religious and I do not go to church but I do thank the universe every day for every blessing in my life :D

xx

Good thread!

Personally I don't believe in 'religion'. Maybe there is a 'higher power' - but I prefer the 'mother nature' version tbh.

Just out of interest, has anyone else read 'the god delusion' by Richard Dawkins?

I never understand why these threads tend to get disrespectful? We should all be able to share our views without making fun of others beliefs :)

I don't see any posts that are disrespectful?

I don't see any posts that are disrespectful?

Oh theres not in this thread hun, i said "threads like these" as in some religious threads in the past have become a little nasty :flower:

I have put no but only because there is no 'unsure' option on the poll. I have been brought up Catholic, I went to Catholic schools both primary and secondary and used to go to Church with my Grandad. No this is were it gets a bit hazy for me. My Grandad who used to take me to Church turned to religion a lot more when his son, my Uncle was murdered. I thought he was the best thing since sliced bread my Grandad, until I grew up and was told many many unpleasant things about the very same man. Now to the outside world he was a lovely, generous, caring Church going man, but behind closed doors he was a monster. I suppose this made me question my faith that was taught to me by my lovely montser of a Grandad.

Sorry this is all a bit rambled and if anybody can make any sense out of this then well done and try and explain it back to me :rofl:

I suppose subconsiously I feel like what I was taught was all a lie as now I know the real man who taught me my religion.

However, my children have been Baptised and we do attend Church sporadically, my eldest goes to a Catholic school, as will the youngest one.

To sum up in a few words; I am confused about my religion.

No, I don't believe in any god or higher power.
I find science stunningly deep, wondrous, and beautiful, and that is what explains the universe to me.
I am not an angry, anti-church athiest, though.
I have no problem with religions unless they are used to oppress others. I also do not think a church has any place in the state or in the science classroom, but otherwise, I am staunchly live and let live with the spiritual beliefs of others.

This describes me to. I do not believe in god, any of them or higher powers. I also love science to, I fall in to atheist but I don't go around all insulting religions. I have religious people around me, a few of my friends are Christian and of course I was brought up catholic till I made up my own mind which I think I done as a child anyway. I don't ever remember believing any of it. My children have no religion either but we will teach them about religions of the world.

I love science too...but believe in God.

No I do not believe in God. I believe that God and religion exists as a form of control and for us as humans to process in our brains that there is 'something' beyond death, which as a concept is hard for us to accept.
That said, I do not have a problem with people who have different beliefs than me, and if they find comfort and solace in a 'higher power' and it fullfils their lives, then thats great, but not for me.

What I 'struggle' with a little is the extremist views that religion 'can' give, and the interpretations that the Qur'an/Bible etc. 'can' create, e.g. terriosm/wars/hate crimes.

That said, whilst I dont believe in God and Religion, I do like the 'Christian' way and the teaching of the 10 commandments such as Love thy neighbour, No murder etc.

You can have morals without religion to. :)

Yes, and actually it irks me ehen people...who are very religious feel that they can do things...and get away with it becuase God forgives....these people have no morals.

Plus the bible makes it clear that God only forgives if u are truly repentant and turn around from your bad course.

With everything in life it can be abused and twisted, same with religion. Some wont use it for good and hide behind it. It does give others a bad name but any normal person will know not everyone would be like them few bad ones. I have met a lot of bad and good ones.

I find this a really tricky question to answer. It is something that I have thought about a lot lately.

Personally, I think organised religion was created as form of control - but essentially the messages of Christianity, Islam, Judaism etc are good and obviously bring a lot of peace and guidance to individual lives so who am I to judge someone for believing? I do find it bizarre that some people take the Bible literally though.

I also don't like the argument that religion creates wars. PEOPLE create war. Not all war is based on religion and if there were no religion, there would just be another excuse as I think that people inherently fear those who are different to them.

I definitely am not atheist though. I don't understand how anyone can completely dismiss the idea of a higher power - I completely am a believer of science but there is still no explanation of existence in the first place. Even some scientists are beginning to explore the idea of some kind of higher power. I attend Quaker meetings sometimes because you don't have to be a follower of organised religion to join, and I find it very peaceful and humbling. Just seriously - how do pure atheists explain why everything is here in the first place?!

Very rambling and nonsensical post, sorry! I find it really hard to articulate my feelings on this subject.

No, I dont think there is a god or greater power, simply on the basis that there is to much pain and suffering in the world for 'someone' to be watching over us

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->