• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

do u believe in god?

Actually the Christian Easter is based on the Jewish Passover, because it remembers the time of year when Jesus was crucified and resurrected. It is the only celebration that has any basis in the Bible. I would agree that other holidays such as Christmas aren't Christian at all, and they aren't recognised by many Christians.

while a lot of christain cermonies were taken from pagan religions of the day, i dont think that devalues the significance of them. it was a real ingenious way for the people of the time to spread the word, and many new religions today use similar techniques. (not saying that is what u were suggesting...as like u i am reaslly interested in the spread of religion and spent alot of time studying the conversion of europe n acient and neo paganism)

over the past 200 years these cermonies/events have been taken over by consumerisum but to those who believe the act of putting up a tree, buy presents is not the key thing it the story of Christ.

no one knows when Christ was born/died - they assume it was actually October and closer to Halloween - but again i dont think the facts are what matters it that some one 2000 years later has the belief that he exisited and the faith in what he taught.

i think anyone who has a faith/belief - be it in Allah, Christ, Budda, Nature or even themselves is someone to admire - i wish i had never lost my faith as it certainly was a comfort.

it just a shame that 'religion' the institution of it all had to get involved, as it is the man made religion that has polluted this world causing people of all faiths who are taught to love one another to create unrealistic laws and thus tension and war. rather then simply listening to their hearts.

I'm all for people having beliefs, but the world is lying in the power of the wicked one? That's a little far, no?

This is why I don't believe in heaven or hell. It's all so forboding. I love the old Celtic beliefs :)
Well i dont think so, makes perfect sense to me when u look around at the world we live in and the types of crimes that are being commited and the level of evil we are seeing. It mimics the very personality of the one the bible says is influencing earthly affairs

And actually, the bible holds out a hope for a wonderful future here on the earth :) The current system of rulership and suffering is only for "a short period of time"

I agree about hell and dont believe the bible teaches that hell is a 'literal' place, but just the grave and that the fire is a fitting symbol as it depicts everlasting destruction well. For instance, Revelation 20:14 says that 'death and hell (grave) are thrown into the lake of fire" These cant be literally burned but rather depicting they will be destroyed forever

Wont go into it more than that at this stage, is going a bit OT!!

I agree with mummy bean and ozzi hunni, thats why As a christian i dont celebrate christmas or easter as they are pagan customs, using pagan symbols and traditions and the nativity story isnt even true to the account in the bible.

I celebrate only the memorial of christs death on Nisan 14 on the jewish calendar, just as Jesus taught us to commemorate it, a simple and dignified ceremony :) It was his death and ressurection that was important.

I hate to be the one to point it out, but a lot of Jewish customs and beliefs are from the Sumerians. Religion is a creation of man, and changes over time. Just because we're looking at what it's called now 7k year later, doesn't make it any less valid, or important.

Well for me, the bible is Gods inspired word so i follow what it says. There are alot of man made beliefs and philosophies.

Actually the Christian Easter is based on the Jewish Passover, because it remembers the time of year when Jesus was crucified and resurrected. It is the only celebration that has any basis in the Bible. I would agree that other holidays such as Christmas aren't Christian at all, and they aren't recognised by many Christians.

Easter is also based on a Pagan fertility festival

Nope, my personal view is we'd have a much nicer existence without religion and the conflict it constantly provokes.
I always find it strange when religious people think atheists don't have a purpose/morals - surely it's better to the right thing because you believe it's right than because someone else says you should or you're frightened of earning your deity's displeasure.

This and various other personal reasons, so no, I don't believe.

Well for me, the bible is Gods inspired word so i follow what it says. There are alot of man made beliefs and philosophies.

That's my point, actually. A lot of what is in the Bible is taken from myths that predate it having been written. The Bible is a book, written by men, adapted from the religion that came before it.

Easter is also based on a Pagan fertility festival

Yes, but the two have nothing to do with each other. They have completely different roots and just happen to take place at similar times of year. It would be inaccurate to say that the Christian Easter is based on pagan festivals as it is totally independent of that.

Personally, nope Im not a believer. I had my mum taken away from me when I was 9 years old, my gran, my other gran, my great grandparents, my baby sister and my grown up sister were also taken from me. I was dragged up with a step mum that gave us nightly beatings as kids and my alcoholic father didnt believe it was happening, My fathers friend was abusing me also.

After all that, I cannot find it anywhere in me to believe in an entity that is supposed to love their followers, maybe im a bitter being, but how can an all loving, all caring god allow that to happen to an innocent child?

Not looking for the sympathy vote here, im over all that, I moved in with my amazing foster mum at 14 and all has been fantastic since, but just sharing my views and why im a non believer.

exactly...religion evolves with the times...just as in this age there are debates about women, homosexuality, class there were very similar debates way back when, and it will continue to over time.

it just a shame mankind has to start war over these things.

sorry that post was related to the previous one not yours Sarahcake :flower:

That's my point, actually. A lot of what is in the Bible is taken from myths that predate it having been written. The Bible is a book, written by men, adapted from the religion that came before it.
I very much disagree but respect your views :)

I just don't understand why people feel that they have to be punished by religion. To me, it feels like an excuse to blame something beyond yourself. Why do bad things happen? Because "God" is punishing us for something we did.
Do you know that Chrisitian mythology is based on Celtic ceremonies? Christmas, Easter, etc. These were all things celebrated by the Celts and morphed to gain conversion. It's fascinating to me.

I agree that's a lame excuse. I take responsibility for my own actions and don't blame God for something I chose to do..... I would hope others do the same! Just because we can't explain something away doesn't mean, oh -we must be being punished! :dohh:

My brother & SIL refused to have a Christmas tree for the first decade of their marriage; thinking it was anti-Christian and pro-Pagan, but they changed their minds eventually. If something isn't originally in the Bible, I don't think it makes it automatically bad or anti-Christian - we all need to decide for ourselves how we want to celebrate things and live our lives.

I don't think anyone is denying that the Bible is written by men, inspired by God.

But to say it's taken from myths, well, we'll just disagree on that!

I do wonder why people are so quick to bash Christianity but leave other religions alone......?

I do believe in a supreme being, and if you want to call it 'God' - fine. I did Classics at university, so read alot of Plato (prefer the Romans/Latin, tho), and found his ideas very interesting. I like to think that there is something beyond us, and hope that there is an afterlife, but if there isn't -- obviously, won't know until it's too late!

Incidentially, I was confirmed as an adult at university in the Church of England, which at Oxford is more academic, more debate oriented and found that it was much more relevant to me than perhaps a stricter doctrinal approach. I am aware that protestanism has many different churches, I just felt comfortable in the ritual of high church CofE (and our college vicar was a woman). However, I will always respect other cultures and religions and beliefs....but love a good debate!

best wishes

ps. robinator - probably scared to bash muslims at the moment!

I don't think anyone is denying that the Bible is written by men, inspired by God.

But to say it's taken from myths, well, we'll just disagree on that!

I do wonder why people are so quick to bash Christianity but leave other religions alone......?

I'm not sure I understand why it's so hard to accept? :shrug: It's got nothing to do with bashing. Sumerian culture had a lot of influence over the cultures that crushed it out of existence. But, the fact that the myths have been adapted for 7,000+ years is rather impressive.

I agree i dont think that the bible was written from myth, but no one who studies religion can deny the similarities between the bible as we know it and that of ancient religions. now i am not saying that this mean that the bible is flaud...not at all...but that those men who wrote the bible in years of 20-100AD were inspired but also influenced by those religions that surrounded them.

Also i have to question the cannon in which the bible was pulled together...why were other gospels not included...what gave constantine the authority to disregard the gospels of say thomas? also how do we know what is written in the bible you hold has any relevance to the bible written in 100AD? my parents collect them and i have read large sections of many and i know the bible is not to be taken literally but even still there are huge differences from one version to the next.yes they all tell the same teaching of love, but the laws/rules/guideline differ dramtacially...so how can one build a 'religion' on this?

You will most likely find that people discuss (not bash) christianity more then others as it all they know. it the most taught and largest religon in the UK and most likey the same in the US.

I have the same feeling towards towards Isalm, Hinduism, Sikhism, ect that all have brilliant, spiritual, truthful teaching but unfortunatly the only thing man kind seems to be able to focus on is the differences.

such as Isalm and Christianity - after reading both the Quran (addmitted in english transalation) and the bible they are both hugly similar - and yet look at the last two thousand years they ahve been fighting each other to prove who is right, rather then celebrating the Love that there leaders taught.

I can only reiterate my point that faith/belief is a magical and wonderful thing yet religion has destroyed that.

Jesus main teaching corinthians 13 (sorry prob most well known bible verse) teaches of love and respect and yet the chrisitians shown in the media seem to be the most judgemental people...instead of loving those who have been divorced, are Gay, struggling with life challenges they judge.

now by no means do i apply the above statement to all chrisitians as they would be naieve but it is what is portrayed to those who dont study religion and this is why relgion seem so unapproachable.

alsa im sorry i have rambled about my own feelings, and im sure you can see where in a mix i lost my faith, and i apologies if any thing i say offends any one as that is not my intention...but it is very rare that one gets the opportunity to talk to others about religion with out being told to fudge off. (im even baned of talking about in my house hold in case i influence my siblings.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->