• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

do u believe in god?

Ahhhh..Catholic here (no Catholic calls themselves Christian). LOL

Ah yes, i think i remember u mentioning you were a catholic :)

Although i see where u are coming from, nearly all the things u mentioned are in fact man made. Not necessarily individuals fault but humans in general. For example floods, monsoons you could say is attributed to how much human activity has affected the earths natural weather cycles,

I'm sorry but I don't see that .... floods, ice ages etc all existed on this planet before people were around to affect the Earth's natural weather cycles :shrug:

And what about disease? People didn't invent viruses or bacteria ... so what does that have to do with 'free will'? There are plenty of other examples of horrible stuff that happens spontaneously as well and that have been happening since long before people were numerous enough or technologically advanced enough to impact on the environment.

In my job I'm around all kinds of different belief systems all the time - it's not part of my role to question those but rather just to mirror back whatever each particular client believes. If it gives them comfort then who am I to say otherwise? :shrug:

But on a personal level I just can't believe in any higher power - for me life is random and cruel. What makes it worth living is love and kindness to others, not a unprovable promise of something nebulous after I'm dead :nope:

I have to agree with tattiesmum in regards to natural disasters!!

I'm a bit vacillant... I'm just thinking everyone's right!!!

I think this kind of debate is difficult because people can have such a different interpretation of what a 'higher power' is. When I say that I believe in a higher power, I don't mean anything necessarily loving or human. I definitely don't believe in the afterlife in the traditional sense. I actually feel really bad for people who are raised to fear hell,I mean could you imagine growing up with that kind of fear? For me, it is just a very abstract idea that is way beyond anything we can ever comprehend.

I don't believe in the supernatural nor do I believe in sanctioned supernaturals like gods ;)

Yes I totally believe in my creator! Jesus christ who died for my sins and saved me! I am forever gratefull!

i do respect everyone's beliefs though :thumbup:

To me, the whole creationism story is a bit farfetched. I think there is enough proof that we evolved from single celled organisms and adapted to survive.

To me, the whole creationism story is a bit farfetched. I think there is enough proof that we evolved from single celled organisms and adapted to survive.

See as a scientist, I completely disagree. There is plenty of evidence for microevolution, but the theory of macroevolution is full of flaws. There is evidence supporting intelligent design and the Biblical version of history, but it is discounted simply because it doesn't fit in with the preferred theory.

There may be evidence to support the theory of evolution, but nothing has been proven.

I doubt anyone can agree on this topic. I'm speaking about the Adam and Eve creationist story. I cannot believe that.

Although i see where u are coming from, nearly all the things u mentioned are in fact man made. Not necessarily individuals fault but humans in general. For example floods, monsoons you could say is attributed to how much human activity has affected the earths natural weather cycles,

I'm sorry but I don't see that .... floods, ice ages etc all existed on this planet before people were around to affect the Earth's natural weather cycles :shrug:

And what about disease? People didn't invent viruses or bacteria ... so what does that have to do with 'free will'? There are plenty of other examples of horrible stuff that happens spontaneously as well and that have been happening since long before people were numerous enough or technologically advanced enough to impact on the environment.

In my job I'm around all kinds of different belief systems all the time - it's not part of my role to question those but rather just to mirror back whatever each particular client believes. If it gives them comfort then who am I to say otherwise? :shrug:

But on a personal level I just can't believe in any higher power - for me life is random and cruel. What makes it worth living is love and kindness to others, not a unprovable promise of something nebulous after I'm dead :nope:

Thanks so much for sharing ur views and to a certain extent i agree with you :)

But as an atheist i dont expect you to view things at all in the way someone who believes in God would and i dont believe the bible teaches that the earth was created at the same time humans were so no doubt all sorts of natural events were occuring on the earth for whatever reason they were needed to after God created it prior to God getting it ready for human habitation. The term day can refer to varying amounts of time too, In fact moses referred to the six creative days all together as the 'creative day'. I believe Genesis suggests the earth was around for sometime before the plant, animal and human life were created. Of course i wouldnt begin to suggest how long this was as we simply dont know.

But i do think u have missed my point as i was discussing how human activity has affected these things more recently (esp the last 100 years or so) as we are seeing things worsen. We have been told to continue to expect more floods, fires, storms etc due to our activity on the earth which of course contributes to our suffering.

It was suggested these things were Gods fault and thats why some dont believe. Of course he has the power to control these things and will in due time.

I never said that these didnt occur prior. I said of human activity - ' you could say its attributed' to the level of suffering these things are causing in recent times

With disease which was another thing we were warned in the bible would become a huge problem how much can be attributed to chemicals in our foods, water, pollution etc. Problem is we just know what we are doing or what the consequences may be. And bible believers would agree its also a symptom of our now imperfect bodies. A result of our inherited imperfection and a consequence of the state of our planet.

If u dont believe in God then i guess you will just view it differently and we will never agree, and i certainly dont think that i have an answer for everything or that i know it all :)

I'm confused. What does the Bible say about dinosaurs? There is scientific evidence that plants existed before dinosaurs, which existed before humans or our human ancestors. I guess this where I find it hard to grasp organized religion.

I'm confused. What does the Bible say about dinosaurs? There is scientific evidence that plants existed before dinosaurs, which existed before humans or our human ancestors. I guess this where I find it hard to grasp organized religion.

Dinosaurs were mentioned in the bible wasn't they? Just not in the terms we know of now.

Dinosaurs were mentioned in the bible wasn't they? Just not in the terms we know of now.

Not in anyway that someone could point to and say, "Aha! Dinosaurs!". The bible uses words like "creature" and "behemoth" - things that suggest large animals, but it could be referencing woolly mammoths for all anybody knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->