• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

do u believe in god?

I'm confused. What does the Bible say about dinosaurs? There is scientific evidence that plants existed before dinosaurs, which existed before humans or our human ancestors. I guess this where I find it hard to grasp organized religion.

Dinosaurs were mentioned in the bible wasn't they? Just not in the terms we know of now.

Not in anyway that someone could point to and say, "Aha! Dinosaurs!". The bible uses words like "creature" and "behemoth" - things that suggest large animals, but it could be referencing woolly mammoths for all anybody knows.

Just Lol'd at the 'aha !dinosaur' bit!!!

My kids great x 8 grandfather was a well known religious martyr. Fun fact lol

I'm confused. What does the Bible say about dinosaurs? There is scientific evidence that plants existed before dinosaurs, which existed before humans or our human ancestors. I guess this where I find it hard to grasp organized religion.

Could you direct me to this evidence please?

Dinosaurs are mentioned in the Bible and there is plenty of evidence to suggest that dinosaurs and humans co-existed.

Genesis details the order of creation. It allows for possibly thousands of millions of years for the creation of the earth and many millenniums in six creative eras, or “days,” to prepare the earth for human habitation.

This can be reasonably concluded from what the Bible says about the seventh “day.” Approx 4,000 years later in the first century CE, the Bible referred to the seventh rest “day” as still continuing. (Hebrews 4:4-6) So if the seventh “day” was a period covering thousands of years, we could logically say the same thing about the first six "days"

Some dinosaurs (and pterosaurs) may have been created in the fifth era listed in Genesis, when the Bible says that God made “flying creatures” and “great sea monsters.” If the Hebrew expression translated “great sea monsters” [Hebrew, tan‧ni‧nim′] includes dinosaurs, which often inhabited swampy areas, this would mean that dinosaurs were created on the fifth “day.” (Gen. 1:21)

The dinosaurs with their huge appetites would have been well fed considering the vegetation that existed at the time (Genesis 1:20-24.)

There obviously came a time that dinosaurs had fulfilled their purpose(even if we do not fully understand what that was -perhaps it was to keep vegetation down - who knows?) But the Bible doesnt say anything more about them.

I agree with shanandboc about days being as long as millennia. It's a choice of words the bible uses and does not need to be taken as literal, especially as God tells us in the bible that a day could be a year to him (and vice versa).

There are time gaps in the bible, too - I take that as God giving us the important things, what he wants us to know, and not filling up pages with fluff. The bible is about faith, the creation of the Jewish and Christian faith, and how he wants us to live our lives. Including dinosaurs in the bible would be interesting, but not necessary for the building of faith. Off topic, if you will.

Also, I think its pretty cool to have things that will forever remain a mystery; we don't have to know everything!! :)

I agree with shanandboc about days being as long as millennia. It's a choice of words the bible uses and does not need to be taken as literal, especially as God tells us in the bible that a day could be a year to him (and vice versa).

Its actually a day is as a thousand years to him :flower:

The hebrew word for day "yom" is used in other scriptures and translated as "time, "year" and "age"

So can clearly reperesent varying periods of time, but we dont know for sure how long a period it is referred to in Genesis but evidence suggests a substantial period of time :thumbup:

Just wanted to point out that the Genesis account and other passages of the Bible describe a literal 6 day creation. Some people choose to interpret that as thousands/millions of years or progressive creation, but there are also many Christians who believe in a literal 6 day creation and a young earth.

Every time the Hebrew word "yom" for day is used with a number or the words evening or morning it refers to a 24 hour day, and it is widely accepted amongst the best Hebrew professors that the word day in Genesis 1 refers to ordinary 24 hour days.

Just wanted to point out that the Genesis account and other passages of the Bible describe a literal 6 day creation. Some people choose to interpret that as thousands/millions of years or progressive creation, but there are also many Christians who believe in a literal 6 day creation and a young earth.

Every time the Hebrew word "yom" for day is used with a number or the words evening or morning it refers to a 24 hour day, and it is widely accepted amongst the best Hebrew professors that the word day in Genesis 1 refers to ordinary 24 hour days.

I think we have debated this before in another thread :haha:

As the word can be translated as so many varying amounts of time no one can say for sure, But i believe there is much evidence both biblical and scientific that they arent 24 hour days. Some of which i have already mentioned

Do you mind clarifying what other bible passages describe 6 x 24 hour days?

Yep, I could go either way on this one. We're all here, the Earth and everything in it has been created, so whether it happened in 6 days or 6 million years isn't something I concern myself with. :thumbup:

As the word can be translated as so many varying amounts of time no one can say for sure, But i believe there is much evidence both biblical and scientific that they arent 24 hour days. Some of which i have already mentioned

Just with my rusty knowledge of the Bible, believe it or not went to a Catholic school! :haha: Isnt there a clear descrition of Day/night/days/years?

Also did Adam, then, die at 930 years old literally or figuratively? (Thats not a loaded question by the way, just curiosity?)

It is human nature to be curious and want to explain things. I don't believe there is anything we're not meant to know.

I still think we're some experiment of an alien race.

Just with my rusty knowledge of the Bible, believe it or not went to a Catholic school! :haha: Isnt there a clear descrition of Day/night/days/years?

Also did Adam, then, die at 930 years old literally or figuratively? (Thats not a loaded question by the way, just curiosity?)

With the people of the Old Testament, I believe that they did live as long as the bible says, in years we recognize, because they had to populate the Earth

I still think we're some experiment of an alien race.

Isn't there a scene at the end of men in black or something like that with aliens playing marbles with all the planets or something.

Mentioning morning and night still doesnt indicate it was 24 hours but rather signifying the beginning and end of each creative period.

Also the bible opens with "in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" as separate to the actual account of creative days suggesting that the earth and universe had been around for a vast period of time beforehand.

Back to the morning / night question if you see what Genesis 1:3 says it says "let there be light" but the account shows that this light didnt reach the earth as night and day until day 4. Genesis 1:14 - 19 says - " And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness And God saw that it was good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day".

Once again the 7th rest "day" from his works was still continuing at least 4000 years later according to the bible in Hebrews. Here "yom" is used with a number before it, and part of the creation account in Genesis, yet doesnt represent a 24 hour day.

Also moses at Genesis 2:4 it says - "This is a history of the heavens and the earth in the time of their being created, in the day that God made earth and heaven."

If the days were 24 hours long why would Moses have referred to the entire creation period as the "day" that God made the heavens and the earth? Doesnt make sense imo, its using the word day in the same context it is used as in Genesis chapter 1 :)

We even use the term in a similar sense in the english language when someone says "back in the day, or back in my day"

The evidence in our earth it self strongly suggests the earth is much older than 6000 or so years.

In regards to Adam, years are calculated by the seasons passing as they are now. God clearly indicated that Adam would live forever if he was obedient. (Gen. 2:9, 17; 3:22)
God warned disobedience would result in Adam and Eve eventually dying and passing on that imperfection to the whole human family. So as they were close to their perfect state they still lived a long period of time.

Adam’s early descendants no doubt learned about man’s fall from perfection, which was confirmed by visible evidence. People grew old and died. (Gen. 3:23,24) With the passing of time, the human life span declined. Adam lived for 930 years. The Flood survivor Shem lived for only 600 years, and his son Arpachshad for 438 years. Abraham’s father, Terah, lived for 205 years. The life span of Abraham was 175 years, that of his son Isaac was 180 years, and that of Jacob was 147 years

We know the specific ages for the deaths of many in bible times and even Jesus' age when he accomplished certain things for example was 29 years old when he was baptised. As humankind has moved further away from perfection our life span has shortened. Even with advances in medicine today you are very lucky to reach 100 years!

I guess I'm agnostic. I used to be a Christian (a rather zealous one!) but got fed up with all the hypocrisy and judgement of other Christians around me and stopped going to church. I guess my faith just disappeared over time. Now I reckon that there is possibly a higher power but if there is then I don't think its personally involved with us.

Of course my lack of belief still doesn't stop me praying to God every night that Maria will sleep!

I guess I'm agnostic. I used to be a Christian (a rather zealous one!) but got fed up with all the hypocrisy and judgement of other Christians around me and stopped going to church. I guess my faith just disappeared over time. Now I reckon that there is possibly a higher power but if there is then I don't think its personally involved with us.

Of course my lack of belief still doesn't stop me praying to God every night that Maria will sleep!

LOL...at the last bit!:hugs:

Why does the Virgin Mary only ever appear on toilets and bog fields in Ireland? She lived in the loos in my primary school, as you would do if you where the mother of God himself in Ireland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->