• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

do u believe in god?

Like others, I find it a difficult question to answer, but essentially no I don't believe in a god and consider my beliefs a form of atheism.

I don't believe in god, I'm all for evolution ! I'm pleasantly surprised at the survey results, I thought I would be in the minority not the majority!

I find it really difficult to understand why religion and science are always considered mutually exclusive. Can't spiritually and belief in evolution co-exist?

I believe they can. I don't believe I evolved from a monkey, but I do believe species evolve over time in order to adapt to changing environments.

Humans didn't evolve from monkeys?! Thats a huuuuuge misconception.

No, that doesn't make it "technically" true. Monkeys and humans just both share a common ape-like ancestor.

I find it really difficult to understand why religion and science are always considered mutually exclusive. Can't spiritually and belief in evolution co-exist?

Yes, they can. I have a BAPhed and Chemistry, and I pray to God, and know there is heaven.

Ozzie and Lou - you are actually both right.
At one point, our ancestral line was in prosimians, then monkeys, then apes.
Super interesting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_human_evolution

Another very common misconception of evolution is that it is somehow linear, when in fact, the best analogy is more of a bush - lots of twiggy little branches sprouting off every which way.

I dont know. I have been very open on this forum and said I wish I had faith, I believe it would help me through the hard days. I would usually write no that I dont, but as I read this thread I thought about how important it felt to get Honey and Riley Rae blessed when they were born, how important it felt that it was a priest type person (sorry) that did their services. I think maybe that is because I want to believe though.

I do believe in something after we die, not sure it is the typical 'heaven' people talk about. I dont think I would of met my girls for such a small time, loved them so intensely but then they were taken before I met them, and never see them again. I do believe one day I will hold them in my arms again. I am sure some people dont agree with that, but it brings me comfort so that is good enough for me.

It does make me sad that I read that bad things happen because of the choices people make. I know it is my free-will to get pregnant though so do understand that it is my choices that bring bad things to my life, just makes me sad to think of it like that. Guess it is about accepting responsiblity :(

Finally (sorry for the novel) really interesting thread to read, thank you.

I dont believe in Heaven as described in the bible (mainly because I dont believe in the bible or it being a place in the sky) I do believe we are spiritual beings, we cant just disappear. I do believe that our energy's stay on long after us. I guess this is my comfort in life and just how I view things. I dont think anyone can ever be proved right or wrong.

Its a hard one but I just dont believe in the bible or god but I do believe in there being "more". Definitely dont believe in hell!

Did anyone (in the UK) watch the program on evolution vs creationism on bbc3?

it was pretty interesing they took 6 christians and 1 muslin from the uk around america to show them various evidence of evolution amd asked them to explain it using creationism.

things like how was the grand canon created if the earth is only 6000 yrs old...and it was to do with noahs flood.

but iv always been of the idea that if God did exisit why could he not have created life with evolution? if you look at the creation story day 1...there was light = big bang? 2. earth/mass = universe being created...then moving on to animals of the sea and sky being created first = same in evolution. then God created animals = again still following the evolutionary trail...and finally man...hmm to me they pretty similar stories just with different time scales!

the most interesting topic the show bought up was if the world was 6-9000 yrs old how did the population of the world go from 2-6bil?

im not sayin either was right but very interesting show.

the most interesting topic the show bought up was if the world was 6-9000 yrs old how did the population of the world go from 2-6bil?

Assuming that the world population doubles every 150 years (a very conservative estimate, as it currently doubles every 40 years), the world population could go from 2 to 8.6 billion in 32 doublings, which is 4800 years. So simple maths shows that it is easily possible.

I cant see how Noahs Ark is a good enough explanation of something like the grand canyon being created (imo).

I responded to this thread ages ago and am interested its still going. I do love a civil theologicak debate! :thumbup:
While we are all talking about God I'd like the believers opinions on a recent situation for me...

My 88 year old granny recently slipped and had a bad fall causing a brain haemorrhage. She died 2 days later. When it happened my sister (who used to taunt me when I was a somewhat over-zealous Christian teen and is now similarly over-zealous herself) starting sending out messages on FB for all her "prayer warriors" to pray for my Granny's recovery.
Now don't get me wrong I wanted her to recover too, more than anything, but I don't understand....when I went to church I was always told God knows our every thought/desire before we have thought it. So surely he would then know I want her to recover before I've even thought it and therefore asking for it is moot??? And wouldn't he then know I wouldn't want any harm to come to her in the first place?
The next confusion is how does it help to get dozens of random strangers to pay for my Granny? Does God work on a petition system? The more and more people ask for something and pray hard enough will he eventually say "oh go on then yeah ok I won't let her die...now I know you're REALLY serious about it".
Some will argue they wouldn't pray for her to live they would pray for "whatever is Gods will" to be. Again what's the sense in that? "Yeah dear God please do XYZ if you want to" ie. "Dear God please do what you were going to do anyway, don't mind me!"

You see my belief is the act of praying reassures people because when things get f*cked up and people realise they are powerless in a situation (and I have done this myself) then it's a great relief to ask a higher power to sort it for you. And I do believe that sending a sick person, for example, positive vibes can certainly help. I just get confused sometimes.

Man I really should go to sleep I'm tired and just rattling now but I would be grateful if anyone has thought on this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->