Do you 'believe' in ADD and ADHD

https://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2011/03/adhd-an-interesting-development.html#comments

interesting read

Thanks for posting that. :thumbup:

What was his point though? He's very rude and he seemed to be saying "I don't believe in this condition but someone else has written a better article to say why than I can be bothered to so I'm just going to quote it a bit and try to offend people."

I'm off to google the Libby Purves one to see if she what she really had to say.

I kind of feel his argument falls apart on the weak, lazy parenting part :wacko: If that were the case then surely my other 2 children would behave the same. Which they don't :dohh:. I can also differenciate between a typical boisterous little boy, and one who's behaviour puts himself and others in danger :nope: *Sighs* xxxxx

Please ignore this comment :dohh: wasnt even him that said those bits they were comments from other people :haha:

https://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2011/03/adhd-an-interesting-development.html#comments

interesting read

What was his point though? He's very rude and he seemed to be saying "I don't believe in this condition but someone else has written a better article to say why than I can be bothered to so I'm just going to quote it a bit and try to offend people."

I'm off to google the Libby Purves one to see if she what she really had to say.

I kind of feel his argument falls apart on the weak, lazy parenting part :wacko: If that were the case then surely my other 2 children would behave the same. Which they don't :dohh:. I can also differenciate between a typical boisterous little boy, and one who's behaviour puts himself and others in danger :nope: *Sighs* xxxxx

I wouldn't pay any attention to his argument really. It's not based on anything except his own opinion, which is obviously not only the right one but the only one that matters, him being a man who writes for the Daily Mail and all :rolleyes:

And he won't be thinking of you when he writes it, he will be thinking of all those benefit-scrounging-asylum-seeking-terrorist-supporting teenage mums who only get pregnant with their 17 children (all to different fathers) to get a council house and enough child benefit to feed their drugs, alcohol and tabacco habit but who then drug those children with ritalin because they can't be bothered to care for them until they get old enough to go out and steal for a living. Daily Mail Land is overrun with families like that don't you know :wacko:

lesley - my friend works at murrayburn primary and there is literally an entire class (like 10-15 kids) who have ADD or autism :shrug: Surely it cant be THAT common.

Murrayburn have a support base so there are support classes there. Other schools feed children into their base who would not manage in mainstream but who do not need to be in one of the special schools. Most of these bases in the city work by having some times when the kids are in their own small class and other times they can feed into mainstream classes. I have known quite a few kids to go there.

Oh well that makes more sense! I thought it was just regular catchment kids :blush:

interesting read

As much as I love my son and feel I was gifted with him for a reason, I wouldnt wish the daily stress's and not to mention struggles with schools upon anyone, yet sometimes I cant help wish anyone that thinks I make it OTT or exaggerate that they get a child the same one day! Then see what they say!!

Then I change my mind because only special people get special children :)

interesting read

I wouldn't pay any attention to his argument really. It's not based on anything except his own opinion, which is obviously not only the right one but the only one that matters, him being a man who writes for the Daily Mail and all :rolleyes:

And he won't be thinking of you when he writes it, he will be thinking of all those benefit-scrounging-asylum-seeking-terrorist-supporting teenage mums who only get pregnant with their 17 children (all to different fathers) to get a council house and enough child benefit to feed their drugs, alcohol and tabacco habit but who then drug those children with ritalin because they can't be bothered to care for them until they get old enough to go out and steal for a living. Daily Mail Land is overrun with families like that don't you know :wacko:

Peter Hitchens is a pretty unpleasant man. Spend a week with the family of a child with ADHD and then turn round and say it is a myth.

interesting read

As much as I love my son and feel I was gifted with him for a reason, I wouldnt wish the daily stress's and not to mention struggles with schools upon anyone, yet sometimes I cant help wish anyone that thinks I make it OTT or exaggerate that they get a child the same one day! Then see what they say!!

Then I change my mind because only special people get special children :)

Sometimes I feel the same way when people are being horrible about baby loss. I wouldn't actually wish for anyone to lose a baby but I would like some people to spend just one day feeling the worst of how I have felt so they would understand just what they are making nasty comments or stupid comments or even worse, so called jokes, about.

I all ready said what i thought .. but i was thinking on it last night .. and i thought how can you REALLY 100 and 50 percent say ... my kid has ADHD .. instead of my kid is REALLY badly behaved.. ive noticed the only argument for parents saying it is that their child isn't being naughty because they have other children who are little darlings ... but every child has a different personality don't they? i know i was HORRID compared to my sisters ..

i'm not saying i don't believe or that i think that this is the case.. its just something to think about.... for someone who has never spent a huge amount of time around anyone with ADHD i think it is a perfectly reasonable queary tbh. I just mean how do they tell the difference?!

Like i said i believe it exists.. i just want to know how we diagnose something like this ?

I all ready said what i thought .. but i was thinking on it last night .. and i thought how can you REALLY 100 and 50 percent say ... my kid has ADHD .. instead of my kid is REALLY badly behaved.. ive noticed the only argument for parents saying it is that their child isn't being naughty because they have other children who are little darlings ... but every child has a different personality don't they? i know i was HORRID compared to my sisters ..

i'm not saying i don't believe or that i think that this is the case.. its just something to think about.... for someone who has never spent a huge amount of time around anyone with ADHD i think it is a perfectly reasonable queary tbh. I just mean how do they tell the difference?!

Like i said i believe it exists.. i just want to know how we diagnose something like this ?

I don't for one minute think my other children are 'little darlings'....My eldest was a little horror as a young child, she was stubborn, bad tempered, naughty. Of course each child has a different personality. ADHD is not a 'personality' though. This is why the assessments are so lenghty, as far as I am aware (at least in the case of Ollie) for him to be diagnosed he had to have a certain 'level' of different behaviours in more than one settine (eg, at both home and school) In the questionnares I think 50 was around average, 60 was a concern and over 70 was thought to be a serious problem. In almost all area's Ollie was over 70, in others 60.
ADHD isnt just about being a 'naughty' child, no 2 children are the same. With Ollie it effects his concentration and attention most at school, rather than the Hyperactive part (or maybe this is just more obvious in a school setting) It effects him socially and mentally. We had to go right through all our family history of Mental Health. On my partners side there is a strong link- his own Mum was Schitzophrenic and Bi-Polar, his brother Commited suicide last year and was also Bi-Polar. The Consultant said that very often ADHD is inherited from one parent and I have no doubt in my mind, and nor does DP that he is definately that parent.
I dont really get the thing about passing a naughty child off as ADHD though, how is that going to benefit the child? :shrug: I know people do it, maybe as an excuse for their parenting skills, or the childs beaviour, I dont know??
All the time Ollie was being assessed, I was quite aware that DP and I were being assessed too. I'm pretty sure they wouldnt have diagnosed him with ADHD if they thought our parenting skills werent up to scratch. The finally Summary said that 'Ollies parents talk about Ollie with warmth and love and I have no concerns about their ability to cope with Ollie' :shrug:

My 2 children are very different! Sometimes R is MUCH harder than M (who is diagnosed) I know she does not have ADHD or autism, thats just her personality.

M's problems and difficulty's are different. He actually can not stop moving at all. Its not his diet, I cook 100% from scratch and he has no crap! Its something he can not control. He is impulsive and will not think before he does things. Alot of the issues are ASD and its hard to define the 2. Like I said, the ADHD diagnosis made no odds to us as he does not have meds and we already got higher rate but there is more to it than first appears.

My 2 children are very different! Sometimes R is MUCH harder than M (who is diagnosed) I know she does not have ADHD or autism, thats just her personality.

M's problems and difficulty's are different. He actually can not stop moving at all. Its not his diet, I cook 100% from scratch and he has no crap! Its something he can not control. He is impulsive and will not think before he does things. Alot of the issues are ASD and its hard to define the 2. Like I said, the ADHD diagnosis made no odds to us as he does not have meds and we already got higher rate but there is more to it than first appears.

What is ASD? Does your Son have both? Sorry if that sounds silly!

I'm the same I cook everything from scratch. Did you consider medication? Me and OH had a big difference of opinions, I wanted to give it a go, as I thought it might benefit him at school with his concentration and attention. I didnt want him falling even further behind. OH was really worried about the side effects though, but eventually gave in and agreed to 'give it a go' The only side effect I've found is that instead of lashing out, he will get a bit more emotional. I've had to drop his meds off at school as he was refusing to take them at home :nope: I hate to feel like I'm forcing them down him, but I'm doing it for his own benefit, I just hope I dont regret the decision months/years down the line xxxxxxx

Hiya, he has never had meds yet and not been offered them but he is off to juniors in September so probably will need them at some point. Its a hard line isnt it :( Not easy like some think.

ASD is autism spectrum disorder x

Hiya, he has never had meds yet and not been offered them but he is off to juniors in September so probably will need them at some point. Its a hard line isnt it :( Not easy like some think.

ASD is autism spectrum disorder x

Ah bless him, yes it is hard, Ollie moves up to Juniours in Sept too, he is the youngest in the class and I think that makes the difference more apparant too.

I have often thought Ollie is on the Autism Spectrum....not that I've had anything looked into/diagnosed, just gut feeling and been reading up on it recently. Could be, and hope I am, wrong! xxxx

Aw is he an august baby too? M is :( So youngest and also with ADHD/autism, its hard but he scored above average on most his mock tests. Just hope he gets the help he needs in year 3. xxx

Aw is he an august baby too? M is :( So youngest and also with ADHD/autism, its hard but he scored above average on most his mock tests. Just hope he gets the help he needs in year 3. xxx

Yes he is 30th August! I'm hoping Ollie gets quite a stern teacher in Year 3 as I find he does respond better, new head teacher in Sept too...Thank God! xxx

Yeah same for us, half nervous but also thinking new school could be a better thing if you get me. I know they have more male teachers in the Jrs too which could be a good thing for him xx

It is very real...I have ADD and my mother has ADHD...I was on medication til I was a young teen, same as my mom, and she at almost 50 had to start her medication again. I dont have the hyperactivity...but I struggle to focus on almost everything.

ETA- And I was diagnosed on a points system... not sure how they scored, except that 70 and up is Adult ADD...I scored 82, and that was about 3 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->