Do you boil water for formula?

Don't feel bad, my kitchen at least is a nice size :D

We are so spoiled :( I watch some UK house shows (ie. The Unsellables UK) and my kitchen is bigger, even though it is a "tiny" kitchen by Canada standards.

Yeah, actual floor space in my kitchen is about 1 metre by about 3 metres. That's with a fridge, freezer, washer and dryer in there too! The house I grew up in was less than 1metre squared. You could stand in the middle, put your arms out to yours sides, and touch each side of the kitchen :haha:

They use low sodium bottled water for baby's bottles in France too, no boiling or much sterilising either, it's just their way of doing things, they were shocked when I said I sterilised and used water from kettle after 30 mins :haha: We've got a dishwasher but I wouldn't use it for Louis' bottles, for me it's just easier to bung it all in the steriliser after washing in hot soap and water x

I've got a dishwasher but I still use a steriliser. I'm paranoid that its not clean enough

BnB recently got me boiling water. If you need some convincing read this :wacko: https://www.foodborneillness.com/enterobacter_sakazakii_food_poisoning/

It's actually quite scary and i think i read somewhere that the bacteria can lay dormant for a long time before you start noticing symptoms of infection. There needs to be more awareness in North America!!

Thanks for this; at last someone in the US who realises the water needs to be hot to kill the food poisoning bugs; nothing to do with if the water is sterile or clean or not at room temperature. I have also read the article you linked to, scary stuff-it does point out as well that the US CDC does recommend using 70c water to make up formula as well so it isn't just the WHO xx

Im shocked that the US doesn't boil water!! I was also made aware the other day that the US dont sterilise there bottles either. Which shocked me too.

I always thought it was dangerous to not boil water, or sterilise your bottles??

I do both anyway :) xx

Most people here have dishwashers and tend to put it in there on the hot cycle

here to our dish washer has a steralize button to!

Hi Ladies! I am new to the baby club! Not new to the pregnancy forem. I live in the US and I had my son on 10/15/2011. This is my 4th child. I BF and FF. I have always boiled my water for FF but now the US sells water in a gallon premade for newborns. One says nursery and the other brand is Gerber. If I didn't buy that, I would go back to boiling water.

CONGRATS!!!!!:flower:

Boiling then waiting 30 mins means the formula is made at approx 70 degrees. Much hotter and you destroy the nutrients (hence why pre-making and rapid cooling isn't ideal but not too bad as I understand). Much cooler and you don't kill the bacteria.

I remember someone on here posted a while ago that the formula companies have said the waiting 30 minutes isn't because of killing nutrients, but to reduce the risk of scalding?? I do mine straight from boiling, and Pud's thriving so don't think she's lacking nutrients!

I boil the water but I think it would be ok after age 1 to use tap water for toddler formula.

Im shocked that the US doesn't boil water!! I was also made aware the other day that the US dont sterilise there bottles either. Which shocked me too.

I always thought it was dangerous to not boil water, or sterilise your bottles??

I do both anyway :) xx

EEK sounds very dangerous to me but I suppose if that's how things are over there... I must admit I couldn't imagine not sterilising it's part of my daily routine now :lol:

I doubt its as dangerous as you think it is. There's not a major outbreak of bacterial infections here or anything so obviously it's quite rare. Like i said in my last post i do agree with you guys though...if boiling water will protect my baby even a little than that's what i'll do.

Just saying that if it was something to be extremely concerned about i'm sure there would be more awareness.

Boiling then waiting 30 mins means the formula is made at approx 70 degrees. Much hotter and you destroy the nutrients (hence why pre-making and rapid cooling isn't ideal but not too bad as I understand). Much cooler and you don't kill the bacteria.

I remember someone on here posted a while ago that the formula companies have said the waiting 30 minutes isn't because of killing nutrients, but to reduce the risk of scalding?? I do mine straight from boiling, and Pud's thriving so don't think she's lacking nutrients!

The WHO say its for both reasons; certain vitamins would be destroyed by boiling water xx

I dont, we use Gerber purified water and nobody ever told me to boil it. Shes 12 weeks and fine.. .so I dont plan on starting now!

The WHO say its for both reasons; certain vitamins would be destroyed by boiling water xx

Boiling formula destroys the nutrients, not the 30 minute wait. The temperature of the water itself.

They say using 100 degree water may destroy certain vitamins in the WHO paper on this topic and 70 degrees is enough to kill the bacteria so that is the temperature they settled on xx

We are so spoiled :( I watch some UK house shows (ie. The Unsellables UK) and my kitchen is bigger, even though it is a "tiny" kitchen by Canada standards.

We are a tiny island compared to canada and the number of people per square mile is far greater so we are farmed in like sardines and our houses are smaller. But we do have free health care so it's not all bad ;o)

We are a tiny island compared to canada and the number of people per square mile is far greater so we are farmed in like sardines and our houses are smaller. But we do have free health care so it's not all bad ;o)

Not sure I'd put it like that! Looking out of our bedroom window, there's the houses infront of us, the loads of hills and fields!

I'm shocked at the different advice between the us and uk! In the uk we are told we should always boil water to make up formula and we have perfectly safe drinking water and we are also told never to give babies bottled water as the mineral (and in particular) sodium content is too high for them.

How very strange!

There is a simple reason for the conflicting advice ... World Health Organisation covers the world, which includes many countries where the water supplies aren't safe, bottle sterilisation/washing facilities may be poor, formula powder may be exposed to all sorts of bugs and refrigeration of made up formula may be inadequate or non existent...and so they advise boiling the water and making up feeds as and when needed.

Strictly speaking it isn't necessary to boil water in a developed country where water supplies are of a high quality (and our water is just as safe as in the US), and most western Gov'ts recognise this and advise mothers accordingly. Ours just takes a blanket approach to WHO guidelines and advises Mothers to follow WHO guidelines to the letter :thumbup:

It's perfectly safe to do as they do in the US, Canada and Australia and make bottles with tap water, we are just conditioned not to do so over here :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->