Do you boil water for formula?

wiggy

Reaction score
Obviously I wouldn't give LO boiling water, but I have heard of people boiling it and letting it cool to make formula. Is this necessary? Just curious to hear opinions. We have a filtered water cooler that we use for drinking water, by the way.

Health visitor told me today that formula should be made up with boiling water as the powder isn't sterile and then the bottle of made up formula should be cooled in a jug of cold water.
HTH

I did not boil water nor did I use bottled water. I always used water right out of the tap.

I would imagine it depends on where you live and the quality of your tap water, though.

Our water is deemed safe. I had no issues using tap water form formula with either of my kids.

Where are you from? Here in North America, a lot of women skip water boiling.

same as above always used cooled boiled water for anything
i dont think the USAs as into sterilizing and boiling water as the UK

I pre-make and always use boiling water from the kettle, rapid cool in the washing up bowl and then pop them in the back of the fridge. Then I reheat in a jug of hot water x

As others have said.. basically in the US it's okay not to boil. In the UK, itshouldalways be boiled.

I'm in the uk and always boil the water first!

Im in canada and I was told by my pediatrician not to worry about boiling but if i did it only had to be done until 6 months. I use bottled water until 6 months from our water cooler.

I breastfeed but when i do give little one water i give bottled water i live in USA water is safe but i use bottled water or filtered for my drinking so i do for my LO to i dont boil it i pefer it over tap

I always boil the water. There seemed to be so much conflicting information I decided to follow the world health organisation guidelines.

https://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/PIF_Bottle_en.pdf

From my understanding it has less to do with the quality of the water and more the temperature. Water over 70c kills off bacteria in the powdered formula, cooler water doesn't.
It says it's always safest to use boiled water but if you need to you can use tap water but These feeds should not be stored for later use, I suppose because they aren't as safe as you are kind of taking double risks, using cooler non-sterilised water and storing it.

I FF my first two and you ALWAYS boil the water....well, here you do anyway. There might be all kinds of bugs :wacko:

Here we dont boil water... I use a water filter though put very hot water in it from the tap and put it in there. :) Maybe water is better in the US? Not sure

I'm shocked at the different advice between the us and uk! In the uk we are told we should always boil water to make up formula and we have perfectly safe drinking water and we are also told never to give babies bottled water as the mineral (and in particular) sodium content is too high for them.

How very strange!

Its amazing how things are so different in different counties, you'd think it would all be the same!!

I boil the water :)

I'm shocked at the different advice between the us and uk! In the uk we are told we should always boil water to make up formula and we have perfectly safe drinking water and we are also told never to give babies bottled water as the mineral (and in particular) sodium content is too high for them.

How very strange!

I thought that. Bottled water is a no no.

I still boil the water and sterlise the bottles and LO is a year old now!

How very strange!

There is bottled water especially for babies no minerals and such

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"