• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do you buy all new bottles?

tommyg

Mum to Smurf & TTC
Reaction score
I am breastfeeding but have a collection of bottles for expressed milk. However I can't decide if I should throw away my bottles and replace them of if they are ok.

Sorry what I meant is I have old bottles that were used occasionally by my DS.

I'm just getting ready to start expressing for DS2 and thinking will those bottles be ok or should I replace them.

Was half asleep when I wrote my post.

If they weren't used much they should be fine but I'd get new teats.

I'm normally all for keeping things but tbh I would probably get new ones. Eta, only because they must be quite old?

I have reused everything with my theee apart from bottles. I just felt it was something that they should each have their own. X

I did re use some of my bottles from DD1 but only because she used them once and didn't like the teats!. I just boiled washed them and sterilised them a few times.

I also bought new teats.

I have reused everything with my theee apart from bottles. I just felt it was something that they should each have their own. X

Exactly this but for no real reason other than I thought it would be nice for them

I would reuse but buy new teats? Although sometimes its cheaper to just buy a new set of bottles!

Congratulations hun! (Im A bit late, im going to stalk your posts now :) )

I would personally buy new, although I can't really think of a good enough reason why, if they're perfectly fine. Maybe new teats as pp suggested x

I would just give them a good clean & sterilisize and buy new teats if the bottles themselves are in good nick :thumbup:

Also maybe just buy new tears for now in case your new lo doesn't like those bottles. Then if you have to buy new it's not a second new set.

I reuse bottles. I've been using some of the same bottles since my first-born was a baby. I use glass, though, and buy new nipples and throw the old ones away after each baby is done with them. Glass is good forever. When it comes to plastic,.... I'd be way more cautious.

My sister used Similac brand bottles for her baby, which got discontinued REAL fast because they were breaking down after just weeks of use, and these poor babies were being fed a bunch of plastic without their parents even knowing about it. The physical sign was little white spots on or in the bottles. So please, if you're using older bottles, look for tiny (or big) white spots, and don't try to wash them away - throw them away. I only say this because when I was given some Dr Brown's bottles, they had white marks inside, which the person told me to just wash away, but I had experience with bottle breakdown and knew better. :) If your bottles look perfect, they're probably as safe as any plastic bottle will be, but replace the nipples so they don't tear or anything.

Congratulations hun! (Im A bit late, im going to stalk your posts now :) )

I would personally buy new, although I can't really think of a good enough reason why, if they're perfectly fine. Maybe new teats as pp suggested x

Thank you, the last few weeks have gone in a wonderful blurry flash.

I reuse bottles. I've been using some of the same bottles since my first-born was a baby. I use glass, though, and buy new nipples and throw the old ones away after each baby is done with them. Glass is good forever. When it comes to plastic,.... I'd be way more cautious.

My sister used Similac brand bottles for her baby, which got discontinued REAL fast because they were breaking down after just weeks of use, and these poor babies were being fed a bunch of plastic without their parents even knowing about it. The physical sign was little white spots on or in the bottles. So please, if you're using older bottles, look for tiny (or big) white spots, and don't try to wash them away - throw them away. I only say this because when I was given some Dr Brown's bottles, they had white marks inside, which the person told me to just wash away, but I had experience with bottle breakdown and knew better. :) If your bottles look perfect, they're probably as safe as any plastic bottle will be, but replace the nipples so they don't tear or anything.

That is so scary, I've never heard of plastic breakdown.

The bottles I have are in good nick they were hardly used in the first place.
However looks like I will replace them. I though I had nothing better to do than wander in a shop and buy new teats but finding the slow flow ones is easier said than done and new bottles will be cheaper.

Thanks for everybody's thoughts on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"