Do you consider Gollywog dolls to be racist?

Ok, I have had a long old read about Gollys…I still disagree and say that they are now not racist….they WERE probably intended to be racist but it seems that is has backfired and this is no longer true…to not sell them now in my opinion was probably a bit silly as its clear times have changed, and now they are just a little rag doll…as opposed to a black doll.

Would you say these were offensive?

https://i55.tinypic.com/a9ldag.jpg

:rofl: They look funny but no I dont think they are just like I dont think a gollywog is.

No Georgie :rofl:

And no I don't think they're racist. It's like, "bah bah black sheep." It's about a sheep!!! :growlmad:

what about eenie meenie minie mo? catch a n***** by the toe? (not trying to be argumentative, just wondered how u feel about that one? i dont think theres nething wrong with baa baa black sheep!)

And no I don't think they're racist. It's like, "bah bah black sheep." It's about a sheep!!! :growlmad:

what about eenie meenie minie mo? catch a n***** by the toe? (not trying to be argumentative, just wondered how u feel about that one? i dont think theres nething wrong with baa baa black sheep!)

Well when I do eenie meenie minie mo I say catch little Chloe or little Jaycee by her toe and thats not how the song was started with catch a n****r by the toe, so I dont see the comparison.. Bah Bah Black Sheep has always been Bah Bah Black Sheep. Not rainbow sheep! so just another where someone gets on their high horse and demands that its racist and should be changed. :shrug:

i didnt know that! i thought it had always been nigger!

omg id like to point out i think being able to say the n word on here is pretty shocking! ******* gets starred out? :shrug:

someone did a good job of explaining that on here, cant find it!

omg id like to point out i think being able to say the n word on here is pretty shocking! ******* gets starred out? :shrug:

I blank mine out myself because I dont like the word and I dont use it, my BIL is black and I do not refer to him as anything but his name. My niece is mixed race..

i hate it too. typed it by accident back there. ive only ever heard it used once in my presence by a white person, and he knew how I felt afterwards!!! i think its disgusting that in this day and age some ppl are so totally stupid. stupid is the best word i can think of to describe him.

i hate it too. typed it by accident back there. ive only ever heard it used once in my presence by a white person, and he knew how I felt afterwards!!! i think its disgusting that in this day and age some ppl are so totally stupid. stupid is the best word i can think of to describe him.

I dont think there is a word like that to refer to a white person but I also dont agree that black people should say it either because they are just basically saying that cos your white you cant say the word.. Its not really fair but you cant ban a word :rofl:

this is true. im caught between my hatred for racism and the right to free speech.

I just googled them and why would i find them racist? Because they are black ??
Why would someone feel offended?

I dont think there is a word like that to refer to a white person but I also dont agree that black people should say it either because they are just basically saying that cos your white you cant say the word.. Its not really fair but you cant ban a word :rofl:

Arn't white people labelled as Honkeys?

I heard the 'eenie meenie minie mo' rhyme on the childrens channel yesterday funny enough and they said 'catch a tiger by his toe'! :)

I've always known it as piggy, so no I don't find that racist :lol:

I heard the 'eenie meenie minie mo' rhyme on the childrens channel yesterday funny enough and they said 'catch a tiger by his toe'! :)

never heard of a honkey!! i dont think thats the same tho.

never heard of a honkey!! i dont think thats the same tho.

Honkey is a racial insult or it is intended to be anyway. I don't know though, I just don't find it offensive :shrug: It's just a word and can't hurt me i suppose...

I just asked my OH (who is part caribbean) if he found them racist, he said yes but when asked why couldn't come up with a reason, he doesn't know the history of them!

I only thought they were dolls and I LOVED the Gollys in Noddy when I was a kid, but having read this whole thread and the history of them I do see they were intended to be racist, but personally I don't see them as racist today.

I also hate the 'N' word, but I hear it everyday in either my OHs music or him/his brother/friend in conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->