Do you consider Gollywog dolls to be racist?

Had no idea what these things were until I googled them. There is no way you would find those things over here on this side of the pond they would create a massive outrage... sorry if it's already been said the thread is long lol xoxox

I already know this is going to sound wrong but i'll try anyway...

I think ANYTHING can be racist, depending on how it is said or used. I think it is an individual's intention that brings prejudice into it. I had a mixed race girl in my class at school, and she asked for us to call her by her nickname - mrs gollywogwog! There were no racial connotations whatsoever, therefore it wasn't racist. However; if I walked up to a stranger in the street and called them that then i would expect a slap.

I know people who have the dolls and are racist and think they're funny, and I know people who have them and see it as just another doll. Many, many dolls have exaggerated features in order to be attractive to children.

Personally i don't think they are racist, but then I wouldn't ever expect them to be used for racist purposes in our current time (although there are a few i know of, but i wouldn't have guessed their meaning of having one if they hadn't told me :shrug:). I feel the racism card does get thrown around too much - I have been accused of being racist in the past but that is so far from the truth! I would have no problem with A having a gollywog and he is a quarter black caribbean.

I already know this is going to sound wrong but i'll try anyway...

I think ANYTHING can be racist, depending on how it is said or used. I think it is an individual's intention that brings prejudice into it. I had a mixed race girl in my class at school, and she asked for us to call her by her nickname - mrs gollywogwog! There were no racial connotations whatsoever, therefore it wasn't racist. However; if I walked up to a stranger in the street and called them that then i would expect a slap.

I know people who have the dolls and are racist and think they're funny, and I know people who have them and see it as just another doll. Many, many dolls have exaggerated features in order to be attractive to children.

Personally i don't think they are racist, but then I wouldn't ever expect them to be used for racist purposes in our current time (although there are a few i know of, but i wouldn't have guessed their meaning of having one if they hadn't told me :shrug:). I feel the racism card does get thrown around too much - I have been accused of being racist in the past but that is so far from the truth! I would have no problem with A having a gollywog and he is a quarter black caribbean.

Yep I agree xx

I don't know how to vote because i think they can be but they kind of aren't. I had a whole golliwog brooch collection from the jam jars when I was a kid. I don't think I even realised the character was black or meant to be black or anything.

But the name and the minstrel connotations and being born of an inherently racist culture mean that it can't be considered totally clean.

No Georgie :rofl:

And no I don't think they're racist. It's like, "bah bah black sheep." It's about a sheep!!! :growlmad:

But does anyone REALLY think baa baa black sheep is racist?

Or is it white liberal guilt gone mad like banning santa claus and cancelling christmas? :shrug:

And no I don't think they're racist. It's like, "bah bah black sheep." It's about a sheep!!! :growlmad:

Or is it white liberal guilt gone mad like banning santa claus and cancelling christmas? :shrug:

I cant think how anyone would see bah bah black sheep as racist. Its about a black sheep? Its the same with blackboard - its now to be called chalkboard - but the board is black? :shrug: Since when did the colour black actually become racist.

Its PC gone mad.. x

I cant think how anyone would see bah bah black sheep as racist. Its about a black sheep? Its the same with blackboard - its now to be called chalkboard - but the board is black? :shrug: Since when did the colour black actually become racist.

Its PC gone mad.. x

But it's never black people making these claims. It's stupid, non-black hypersensitive PC gone mad people.

Its PC gone mad.. x

But it's never black people making these claims. It's stupid, non-black hypersensitive PC gone mad people.

Thats true :)

Its PC gone mad.. x

This riles me! It would racist if it said 'baa baa black sheep have you any wool? No sir, as, being a black sheep, my wool is far inferior to white wool' but it doesn't (obviously) so i don't see how anyone can think it's racist!

Its PC gone mad.. x

This riles me! It would racist if it said 'baa baa black sheep have you any wool? No sir, as, being a black sheep, my wool is far inferior to white wool' but it doesn't (obviously) so i don't see how anyone can think it's racist!

:rofl:

Found this on the net: History of Golliwog Dolls

https://www.golliwogg.co.uk/history.htm

This has nothing to do with gollywogs,

but since when was the FAT controller from Thomas the Tank Engine, the THIN controller?!?!

Political correctness gone mad!

but since when was the FAT controller from Thomas the Tank Engine, the THIN controller?!?!

maybe as part of the plot-line he went on a diet? :shrug:

I don't find them offensive either.

I think now days objects are taken way too seriously. these toys are made for people to play with not to cause offence!

its only the same with gingerbread men! its now gingerbread person as apparently its sexist! come on its a bloody biscuit! who cares what its called

I'm pretty sure there's a fat and a thin controller.

The thing is, it was from a racist time, and was based on a racist doll. It's not a "nowadays" type thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->