Do you eat tacos in the UK?

Aimee4311

Reaction score
Random, I know! OH was playing COD online and was talking to a British kid who didn't know what tacos were. He talked to another a couple of days later who knew what they were but had only had them maybe 5 times!

We live in Texas, and eat tacos of some sort at least twice a week!

Also, do y'all put salsa on them? How about breakfast tacos? Do you have those? Bacon, egg, and cheese tacos, sausage and egg tacos, bean and egg, bacon, potato, and cheese tacos...so many yummy combinations!

Just curious! :flower:

I have had tacos, and I make them at home on occasion but I wouldn't say they were a big thing over here (at least where I am from, North East England).

I usually do the bog standard chilli con carnie type mix & some lettuce, salsa & cheese.

^ wss!

Not big here, we've had them a few times at home - usually have them with chilli :)

I've only ever eaten hard-shell tacos at Mexican restaurants. Fillings are usually beef chilli, crispy pork, refried beans or peppers, with guacamole, salsa and sour cream for toppings. I sometimes make quesadillas and burritos at home though.

Ive eaten one once which was hard shell buy in a packet make your own. They were new in shop so thought i would try. Never tried one before and first one was at 28 lol. Dh had tried them before but grew up neer london so more varied food. I grew up in countryside where available resteraunts were chineese, indian and fish and chips. The neerest pizza place was an hour drive away lol oh and lots of tea rooms though i know there was excitement over a star bucks opening fairly neer lol. I try to do varied stuff cooking as we had very bland stuff growing up. I had never been to nandoes until started university haha, i didnt have wide travelled taste buds. I dont think the shops neer us sell ingridients for it

Sometimes we but the old El Paso kits for tacos.. My oh would have them more but I don't like the spices so having just the mince is boring! We don't have the breakfast ones that I'm aware of..

Ive never heard of breakfast one and as pp said ours were el passo when i tried

I think soft tortilla wraps or rice are more popular here. I have had tacos but could count the number of times on my fingers and certainly never for breakfast!

I was born and raised in London, just moved to Texas 6 months ago. I used to eat tacos and obviously knew what they were, everyone I know knows what they are too. But they aren't NEARLY as popular as they are in Texas! For example I didn't know tacos could be soft or hard, I thought tacos were the hard ones, fajitas were the soft ones. I've learnt so much more of the Mexican cuisine since being here, the Mexican places in the UK don't have even a quarter of the variety of different choices they have here. Actually, it's not common to come across a Mexican restaurant in the UK too often, you generally have to go into central London and seek one out. Whereas here there's a Mexican restaurant everywhere you turn! I mean it's obviously because Mexico is right there, and I'm so glad, such authentic great Mexican food here :)

I like soft taco more. I love Taco Bell fastfood resturant (like McDonald but serve mexican food instead...in case you never heard of it in uk) I like their burrito as well

This is my FAVORITE taco dinner kit. The only kind that my kids will eat since they don't like hot spicy taco at all but will eat this (and no other brands) : https://www.gardenofeatin.com/product/?product=1449&category=696

I use ground turkey meat instead of ground beef (I can not eat greasy food. It makes me extreme sick)

I've still never tried Taco Bell, seems like it would be really greasy? Not sure why I think that, maybe because it's large chain, fast food tacos. I prefer the smaller taco places, but I should probably try Taco Bell at some point to compare!

It is greasy , which is why I started making it at home. I didn't always have this problem. I guess it comes with age.

Is a soft Taco the same filling as you would put in the hard shells, just wrapped in a flour/corn tortilla?

I was born and raised in London, just moved to Texas 6 months ago. I used to eat tacos and obviously knew what they were, everyone I know knows what they are too. But they aren't NEARLY as popular as they are in Texas! For example I didn't know tacos could be soft or hard, I thought tacos were the hard ones, fajitas were the soft ones. I've learnt so much more of the Mexican cuisine since being here, the Mexican places in the UK don't have even a quarter of the variety of different choices they have here. Actually, it's not common to come across a Mexican restaurant in the UK too often, you generally have to go into central London and seek one out. Whereas here there's a Mexican restaurant everywhere you turn! I mean it's obviously because Mexico is right there, and I'm so glad, such authentic great Mexican food here :)

So what exactly is the difference between a soft-shell taco and a quesadilla or fajita?

Is a soft Taco the same filling as you would put in the hard shells, just wrapped in a flour/corn tortilla?
Yes. The only difference is that the shell is soft..the filling and everything is the same.

Never in my life! They just look too messy, I find chicken fajitas hard enough to eat :haha:

We had tacos for tea last night :)

I made them with mixed beans in a chilli sauce, grated cheese, lettuce, guacamole, salsa and sour cream.

So (from what I've been told) fajitas contain actual pieces of meat along with peppers, onions etc. Tacos contain ground/minced meat (beef). But nowadays, people kinda put whatever in them! Soft tacos and fajitas end up containing mostly the same stuff tbh. But the hard tacos tend to always be ground/minced beef. Quesadilla is a filled flour wrap then folded over (not rolled) and toasted, like a sandwich I suppose. It's flat.

I love tacos, and Mexican food in general. There are no Mexican restaurants locally though so I make them myself, nowhere near as nice though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->