Do you feed your toddler organic or regular milk?

in the UK it was always regular milk. now we have moved I only use a specific organic milk as most the other milks have all the yuck stuff same as the US milks.

We give him organic milk only which you are right is so expensive - BUT - we don't go through so much of it! Our doctor told us the new guidelines are that toddlers only need 16-20oz of milk per day, and any other fluid intake should be water. He says after that amount they receive no further benefit from it and they are just getting too much sugar. So for his milk he gets 9oz in the morning and 9oz in the evening, totaling 18oz a day, and the rest of the time he just has water from a sippy cup. He only goes through about a gallon per week.

each of mine drinks 20 oz a day so both of them together drinks 40 oz a day. I think there are 96 oz in a gallon that would last them roughly 2.5 days. However, the last gallon was stretched out for 3 days though.

Mine has organic but only because that's what we buy for ourselves. The difference in price didn't used to be noticeable (it was about 4 - 8p more per pint) but since the milk wars driving down the price of regular milk it is certainly a lot more expensive but no less affordable/unaffordable because it hasn't really changed in price (regular milk has just got cheaper).

If organic is important to you maybe you could decide how much milk he needs and when he's still thirsty give him water instead?

We give him organic milk only which you are right is so expensive - BUT - we don't go through so much of it! Our doctor told us the new guidelines are that toddlers only need 16-20oz of milk per day, and any other fluid intake should be water. He says after that amount they receive no further benefit from it and they are just getting too much sugar. So for his milk he gets 9oz in the morning and 9oz in the evening, totaling 18oz a day, and the rest of the time he just has water from a sippy cup. He only goes through about a gallon per week.

each of mine drinks 20 oz a day so both of them together drinks 40 oz a day. I think there are 96 oz in a gallon that would last them roughly 2.5 days. However, the last gallon was stretched out for 3 days though.

Ouch!

My children don't drink cow milk (cow milk is for cow babies, IMO), my toddler drinks human breastmilk or water with the occasional diluted juice.

We do buy milk, for DH (he doesn't feel the same way I do about cow milk for cow babies...), and for my coffee.

I used to always buy Organic milk. But the organic milk in grocery stores is all UHT pasteurized. I prefer standard pasteurization or even better low temp/vat pasteurization. UHT pasteurization actually leaves milk shelf stable, it lasts FOREVER, but it gives it a bit of a burnt taste. So we started buying regular just because of the UHT pasteurization.

If I can get low temperature pasteurized non-homogenized organic, I will buy it, but they only sell that at the specialty store.

All the milk for drinking here says no artificial hormones or what not. It's the milk that is used for prepared foods I am guessing, all the milk and cheese in your macaroni and cheese packages and stuff.

My children don't drink cow milk (cow milk is for cow babies, IMO), my toddler drinks human breastmilk or water with the occasional diluted juice.

We do buy milk, for DH (he doesn't feel the same way I do about cow milk for cow babies...), and for my coffee.

I used to always buy Organic milk. But the organic milk in grocery stores is all UHT pasteurized. I prefer standard pasteurization or even better low temp/vat pasteurization. UHT pasteurization actually leaves milk shelf stable, it lasts FOREVER, but it gives it a bit of a burnt taste. So we started buying regular just because of the UHT pasteurization.

If I can get low temperature pasteurized non-homogenized organic, I will buy it, but they only sell that at the specialty store.

All the milk for drinking here says no artificial hormones or what not. It's the milk that is used for prepared foods I am guessing, all the milk and cheese in your macaroni and cheese packages and stuff.

I would totally give them breast milk if I could, but unfortunately my supply dried up nearly 3 months ago.

I would totally give them breast milk if I could, but unfortunately my supply dried up nearly 3 months ago.

I understand. In the long run though, I don't feel that human children need the milk of another species, especially past 2 years old. I do understand for your 1 year old though, that is a bit young to be off milk.

If and when my milk dries up, my children will drink water. I don't see processed dairy as being necessary for their health. If my toddler decides to wean tomorrow, I'm not replacing the breastmilk with cow milk.

Again though, I might use cow milk if my child were over 1 but under 2, as one of yours is, and in that case I'd go organic - if it is not UHT pasteurized. If the choice is between UHT organic or regular - I'd go regular (unless it's UHT regular, of course).

I'm not sure if OP is in the U.S., but Costco sells organic whole milk. The one by my house sells a 2-pack of one gallon jugs for $10.xx (I don't remember the exact price). I'm sure prices vary by region, but it's a lot cheaper than the grocery store if the local grocery store doesn't have any organic milk on sale.

Thanks for that tip! They just opened a Costco near us. I'll have to look into that!

I'm not sure if OP is in the U.S., but Costco sells organic whole milk. The one by my house sells a 2-pack of one gallon jugs for $10.xx (I don't remember the exact price). I'm sure prices vary by region, but it's a lot cheaper than the grocery store if the local grocery store doesn't have any organic milk on sale.

We have one 5 minutes from us. I was looking for whole organic milk while I was there last time but only found the 1%. Should I be looking in a different section? I was looking in the "cooler" where they keep different types of milk and eggs.

We have one 5 minutes from us. I was looking for whole organic milk while I was there last time but only found the 1%. Should I be looking in a different section? I was looking in the "cooler" where they keep different types of milk and eggs.

I found it near the eggs whites (and maybe cheese) in the refrigerator aisle at my local Costco. For some reason, it was not directly next to the 1% milk or juice but the next aisle over. It's packaged in a cardboard box, but you can see the plastic jugs through the box openings.

I found it near the eggs whites (and maybe cheese) in the refrigerator aisle at my local Costco. For some reason, it was not directly next to the 1% milk or juice but the next aisle over. It's packaged in a cardboard box, but you can see the plastic jugs through the box openings.

thanks! I will look in their refrigerator next time I go there. The place that I looked at didnt even have white eggs, we ended up buying brown eggs. So you found them in a fridge and not one of those cooler rooms right?

thanks! I will look in their refrigerator next time I go there. The place that I looked at didnt even have white eggs, we ended up buying brown eggs. So you found them in a fridge and not one of those cooler rooms right?

Right. It was in a fridge aisle (glass doors) and not in the cold room with the produce. :thumbup:

Right. It was in a fridge aisle (glass doors) and not in the cold room with the produce. :thumbup:

I checked our Costco agin today, and they didn't have the milk today. I've bought it there, so I know they carry it. I wonder if it's an occasional stock item. :shrug: I'm going to check again next time we go as DD is also on organic milk.

I checked our Costco agin today, and they didn't have the milk today. I've bought it there, so I know they carry it. I wonder if it's an occasional stock item. :shrug: I'm going to check again next time we go as DD is also on organic milk.

I'm probably gonna go take a look on Sunday or Monday.

We feed organic whenever we can for all types of food, including milk. We actually organically farm (duck eggs soon...) in the US, so I can shed a little light :)

To be labeled organic, the animals producing food must have access to the outdoors, so they automatically have more humane living conditions,which I choose to support. Being in a less confined space also, in theory, reduces illness among livestock.

The animals must be fed only organic food that has also been checked to follow the organic guidelines. If grazing, the fields must be free of any pesticides for 3 years (grain that is bagged and fed, also labeled organic,must follow this guideline as well). With conventional methods, feed is not regulated, and in fact i have read reports where farmers were feeding their cows things like candy as a way to cut feed costs. Conventional cows may graze, but are allowed to eat grass sprayed with pesticides, or grains that were sprayed, etc. They pass this through milk (and store it in their muscles and especially in fat cells,which is why we also eat organic meat).

The "research" says there is no immediate difference on consuming one over the other, however long term studies have not been done. With the increase in diseases and things like obesity over the years, and kids maturing quicker and girls getting periods sooner....I think the evidence speaks for itself. Our conventional farming methods aren't all that ideal.

THAT SAID, I encourage everyone to do their own research! Many people spend more time researching which TV has the best reviews than what food they're ingesting. Just look into it and go with your gut.

In the end, just do what you feel is best for your kiddo(s).

I agree with this. I am in the US, so can't comment on other countries, but milk/dairy is not something I would go regular on. I even order my formula from UK because it's organic (Hipp) and better htan what we have here. It's not just the hormones and antibiotics, it's the GMO crap they are fed and totally inhumane ways of raising the cattle. Unfortunately organic does not equal humane, but it is a little better than the factory farms. I actually don't even give dd cows milk (there really is not need for it after a year other than taste)...I still give her a sippy cup at night with hipp formula. So if the cost is too much, you could cut down on the amt of milk and that would help a little if you do choose to go organic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->