Do you give to charities?

kerrie24

me,him and 3 lo's
Reaction score
I was watching discovery h&h (I didnt know I was pregnant lol) and noticed a lot of charity appeals come on that channel,do you think people with kids are more likely to give to charities and thats why they do this?

Do you give to charities and if so why did you choose those specifically?
Ive added a poll,you can select more than 1.I realise I have probably missed loads in which case select other and write it in your post please as the above ones are all that came into my head.
Thanks

yes.
I give to my local air ambulance because they save a lot of lives, but are VERY expensive to run.
I give to the Samaritans. My brother committed suicide a few years ago, and I believe if he just talked to someone when he was down, he may still be here.

I have chosen cancer charities as it has directly affected several family members and close friends.If I had more money I would donate to them all.I do fill charity bags and donate into collection tins too.

I donate monthly to animal charities through my wages. I donate to comic relief children in need each year.

I also donate to breast cancer through asdas Tickled pink campaign every year.

More sporadically i donate to cancer research and the british heart foundation as OH's father died of heart failure and his mother died from cancer. We donated money to them in lace of favours at our wedding and gave guests little cards explaining we had made a donation in their names.

Honestly tho i cant watch charity adverts as they upset me so much and if i could afford it i would end up donating to each one every time i saw an advert

I sometimes give the odd £5 to Peta, and give £3 a month to WSPCA, both are animal charities, and something I feel strongly about. I gave £5 to unicef the other day as an advert came that broke my heart, and it said if you text their number, they take £5 off your credit/bill so I did that. They keep ringing me now though :neutral:
And we usually give £10-£15 to RND.

I donate to local charities through pay roll :)

I dont give to RSPCA or great ormond street through principle as they dont help scottish children and animals and I try and donate to smaller charities (not cancer research) as the bigger ones get LOADS and i dont agree with them spending huge amounts of donations on admin and advertising.

There's Operation Christmas Child, Annie Armstrong Missions, and we sponsor 2 children through World Vision. Then there are also local charities we contribute to.

Marie curie nurses helped out with my mum towards the end, I give to them when I can. I volunteer at Barnardos. Giving time is just as important as giving money :)

I give what i feel is right at that time. I always give to the local air ambulance. I also give to Cancer research, Alzheimer research and Huntingtons Research.

I don't have a direct debit (I should really I keep meaning to) but I always try to give to collectors on the street. I did collecting for the British Heart Foundation for a week and it's really thrilling when someone comes for a sticker :). I'm also doing Operation Christmas Child this Christmas.

I dont give to RSPCA or great ormond street through principle as they dont help scottish children and animals and I try and donate to smaller charities (not cancer research) as the bigger ones get LOADS and i dont agree with them spending huge amounts of donations on admin and advertising.

GOSH do treat children from Scotland, probably not for 'routine' appointments, but they are there for ALL children....... https://www.gosh.org/gen/fundraise-for-us/fundraising-ideas/in-your-area/scotland/ :thumbup:

I donate to ECHO mainly x

SANDS :)

Also made donations to ladies who have been fundraising on here.

V xxx

I've seen you saying this about GOSH before on another thread. I used to work at GOS and we most certainly did have Scottish children in the hospital when I worked there. RSPCA does not operate in Scotland as you say, they don't have any powers due to differences in Scottish law so Scotland has it's own separate animal protection body.

I agree that you have to be careful about donations. Advertising is important as it brings in more revenue but some charities really don't keep their spending in check. My ex used to do graphics for a large "seniors citizens" charity who shall remain nameless and they used to spend an obscene amount on branding etc.

Back to the OP. I give monthly by direct debit to a charity which helps communities in developing nations, money to support educational and health projects etc. OH gives monthly to a cat charity. We will give larger one off donations when we feel like it. Often when there is a large appeal by the DEC for things like Haiti earthquake etc. I often will donate to smaller charities on an individual basis, and I too don't like to donate to large cancer charities, they have a lot of support already. I wish I could help more in terms of time really as when I was younger I used to volunteer a lot more. Maybe when DD is a bit older and can help too! and if work ever let me work part-time!!!

animal charities for me - animal aid and cats protection x

Okay well the chances of a scottish child going there is really slim. I'd rather donate to yorkhill :shrug:

We give to Save the Children and sponsor a child through World Vision. I would love to give more and to animal charities as well, but I just feel that while human mummies have to watch they're babies starve, I need to do what I can to help them first IYKWIM?

I often give to our neonatal charity

I give my charity money to Stick n Step https://www.sticknstep.org/ and do fundraising as my son attends the centre. It helps children with Cerebral Palsy and gives them free Conductive Education, Evan has attended since he was 1 and is now 7 and they have given him so much independence and they help 70 children at one time I cannot praise them enough. In other areas to receive Conductive Education it is around £50-£60 a session.

I have to say I had a run in with an RSPCA fundraiser the other day when I said I give my charity money to SnS he told me that I should consider giving to RSPCA, I told him I would rather help children than animals, he then told me I was disgusting :shock: this was one of those people in the middle of shopping centres with clipboards :growlmad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->