Do you leave your baby to cry?

No , I wouldn't leave my baby cry.. I always pick her up immediately.

I don't like my babe to cry but I will leave him to cry if I'm going to the bathroom or doing something I just can't get to him the moment he starts to cry!! I would say 2 min tops is the longest I have let him cry before I could get to him! Well if I'm in the car that's a different story!

I won't leave Coralie to cry. That may change as she gets older, and learns that Mummy comes if I cry :haha: Tbh even then I probably won't leave her :blush: I just find it so heartbreaking.

I really can't leave Jessica to cry - I'm such a wimp. I'd rather check to see if she needs something (food, nappy change, entertainment) as this usually settles her much quicker than leaving her to cry it out.

Noooo not a one week old!
There has maybe been one or two times where yes, i've left Rory to cry...but it was because I was at the end of my tether and felt like I was going to snap. So I had to leave him for 5 minutes to cry untill I calmed down. But definitely not because I thought it would spoil him or anything, and I felt bad after even though I had to for my sanity.
He was also alot older than a week, he was like a few months. But I still don't agree with it. :flower: Just the better of two evils (ie: losing my mind!)

Its hard when you have other kids though. I mean, i need to make dinner and do other stuff so like cattia said its not always possible too. She will go in her bouncer or swing though and will sit there for a while just looking around so thats something. I cant listen to her cry for any length. It is heart wrenching and she is only just 8 days old so needs plenty of reassurance. Its good to know that most others are the same. Thanks for your replies. x

At a week old-absolutly not.
Everything is new to your LO and they need to adjust to the big bad world. At that age they need loads of comfort and reasurrance still.

mumoffive, i hear you and cattia! isabel was cuddled the second she began crying, but with emily its not possible...i not only have to use her brief content moments to get myself ready, but now i have to factor in getting isabel ready, fed, watered, changed, played with, cuddled and so on...i've tried utilising a wrap with mixed results...ultimately emily has a number of times in the day where she has to be left unheld while i get the above done. she is a VERY attached baby and requires being held almost constantly inc for naps so inevitably many times i put her down to do something and she cries. i try to counteract it by having her laying near me and talk to her and stroke her face where poss but i'm only human and only have one pair of hands for two young, needy children.

Yes its awful hearing emily cry without me being able to cuddle her but this is a parenting dilemma i've had to learn to accept as a mum of more than one and it sounds like you're there too :hugs:

Yes, when you have two it is impossible not to leave one of them crying for a few minutes once in a while, unless you are an octopus! wishingonastar, I have the same issue with George, I think I had my babies the wrong way round, as George needs to be held far more than Abigail ever did, she would sit for ages in her bouncer and just look around wheras once he wakes up he won't stay settled anywhere for very long. I try to put him in a sling as much a possible but it's not always possible to get him in it straight away when he wakes up if I am in the middle of cooking or bathing. I don't think we are deliberatley leaving our kids to cry though, that's just the reality of parenting when you have more than one, you can't possibly respond to the needs of both at the same time, so don't feel guilty about having to leave one or the other of them for a few minutes (even though I always feel guilty about the one that is not getting my attention right away!)

It just doesn't 'feel' right in my heart to leave my baby to cry. It's like going against all my motherly instincts so I won't.

I'm not saying in the future when he's older if he starts sleeping badly that I would not consider CC (def wouldn't do CIO) but when they're so young, I wouldn't leave them to cry, no way.

xxx

i can not listen to my baby cry. It makes me cry. Any time LO cries he is picked up if he is fed, the right temperature and has a clean nappy then he just wants a cuddle and always gets it (unless im driving obviously) . LO is now 3months old and i dont think we have "spoiled" him.

Honestly I think if a child is going to grow up clingy or difficult it's going to happen no matter how much you hold it. I would give your LO all the cuddles she wants, especially being so young she's just scared right now. Wait until she's at least 6 months old to start not responding to every cry.

Hi,
going by your user name like me this isnt your first :) I will admit from a few days old Vinnie was left for a few minutes to cry if i had other things to do, exp go to the toilet, dish up dinner sometimes it just cant be helped & i can honestly say its had no ill effects on any of mine i just cant be in 2-3 places at once & no (i will probably be shot down for this but...) i cant run to every whimper he makes & nor do i feel guilty for not doing so, obviously if it was a full on hysterical scream then things would be different. I will say though out of all of them Vinnie is my hardest yet & if he had his way he would be on me 24/7 although that just isnt possible all the time when i have other children to deal with

I never ever leave LO to cry, never have and never will and she is almost 7 months old....

I would never leave my baby to cry,sometimes whinge but even then its not long. I know its hard,especially if you have more than one child,could you have your baby with you in a sling? x

I dont have a sling. I will just rotate her from swing / bouncer and hopefully that will do the trick. I cant permanently hold her. Its an impossiblity. Atm its fine cause my dh is off until the end of June so hopefully she will have settled into a pattern by then. I havent left her to cry..just wondered what others do especially those that have other children. I have two other tots, one at 4 and the other at 3 so cant always give undivided attention right away but i do my best.

I dont have a sling. I will just rotate her from swing / bouncer and hopefully that will do the trick. I cant permanently hold her. Its an impossiblity. Atm its fine cause my dh is off until the end of June so hopefully she will have settled into a pattern by then. I havent left her to cry..just wondered what others do especially those that have other children. I have two other tots, one at 4 and the other at 3 so cant always give undivided attention right away but i do my best.

Blimmey hun you have got your hands full :flower: I really recommend you buy a sling as babies love being close to their mum. I know they are expensive,i got a second hand one which is fab :thumbup: or could you borrow one first? good luck whatever you do x

I can't leave Kitty, it makes me hurt, I'm up those stairs quicker than a robbers dog.

I think i will look into getting a sling. I had a moby wrap but hardly used it and sold it thinking my ds was my last!!! Thanks for your advice. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->