Do you leave your baby to cry?

I think i will look into getting a sling. I had a moby wrap but hardly used it and sold it thinking my ds was my last!!! Thanks for your advice. x

iv got one called Kari me which i love www.kari-me.com but if you want some more advice on slings,pop over to the natural parent section,im sure you will get lots of good advice on slings xxx

Is it a long stretch of material? It looks really good!

yes it is,it was a bit of a faff at the beginning and i nearly gave up on it but i really love it now and am so glad i have got it xxx

The only time I'd leave my LO to cry is if I desperately need to pee. Otherwise, I do respond. I don't always pick her up - if she's crying from tiredness, it'll just wind her up but I do comfort her with a dummy and by patting her and reassuring her. If she's hungry, my first priority is to get a bottle ready so I often do that while talking to her and reassuring her.

And there's one cry that I will always run to her for and would never ever not respond to, no matter what - it's a cry of pure misery which I know means she just needs some comfort. She often does it if she wakes suddenly and gets scared.

I have but not till 4 months and it was CC not CIO :) Wow five kids you're supermum :haha:

I can't leave my l.o to cry and now she will shout to be picked up, so yes I have made a 'rod for my own back' but I totally don't mind. They don't want hugs and carried for that long in their life so you might as well give it to them. & I've read that they get a surge of stress hormones if they are left to cry which is harmful for their development.

Just to clarify as I feel as though my previous post hasn't been read correctly perhaps, or misinterpreted. I didn't mean that anyone was making a "rod for their own back" by picking up their little one, I don't leave my baby to cry - he spends most of the day in my arms. I used that expression as someone told me that I was making a "rod for my own back" by constantly picking him up everytime he cried ... It seems as though a couple of posters have seen the phrase and jumped on it.

Oh I just said that saying because I've been told I'm doing it before, I don't think I saw your post x

No I don't. She needs you. If you have 5 kids then yes, inevitably she will have to wait on occasion (ie. bathing another child) but I would not intentionally leave her as the cries will only get worse - you cannot teach them at that age. I also recommend the sling, I started wearing my cranky fussy angry newborn and it has become such a method of bonding. I also left him to cry at 1 week (for 1 hour) and it was just awful. I cannot recommend it. I stopped letting him cry that night and held him for 4 months straight, he then blossomed into a lovely lively baby. Now THAT, I can recommend :)

There is no way you can NEVER let your baby cry. That is impossible, especially when you have other children. There is nothing wrong with leaving a baby to whine or even cry for a small amount of time while you tend to another child, go to the bathroom, etc.

I let my child fuss or whine a little by herself. However, I go in periodically to comfort her by patting her. My child ONLY fusses when she is overtired. When I pick her up, I MAKE IT WORSE! This stimulates her and winds her up. My child will go to sleep MUCH FASTER if I leave her alone or just pat her occasionally. She has gotten to the point where she likes her space and likes to wiggle in order to get herself to sleep.

Now, I understand my child's cries. If she is crying because she is scared, uncomfortable, needs a diaper change, hungry, I do respond as soon as I possibly can. If her cries are her overtired cries, I may go comfort her, but it really is better for my child to be left alone. She goes to sleep much quicker without my picking her up, comforting her, bouncing her. That just agitates her more.

Nobody knows your child better than YOU do. You are with them the most. You know what they need. You know what their different cries mean. If your baby settles better by being left to fuss or even cry for an amount of time, that is fine. I don't believe there is any harm in that.

There is no way you can NEVER let your baby cry. That is impossible, especially when you have other children. There is nothing wrong with leaving a baby to whine or even cry for a small amount of time while you tend to another child, go to the bathroom, etc.

I let my child fuss or whine a little by herself. However, I go in periodically to comfort her by patting her. My child ONLY fusses when she is overtired. When I pick her up, I MAKE IT WORSE! This stimulates her and winds her up. My child will go to sleep MUCH FASTER if I leave her alone or just pat her occasionally. She has gotten to the point where she likes her space and likes to wiggle in order to get herself to sleep.

Now, I understand my child's cries. If she is crying because she is scared, uncomfortable, needs a diaper change, hungry, I do respond as soon as I possibly can. If her cries are her overtired cries, I may go comfort her, but it really is better for my child to be left alone. She goes to sleep much quicker without my picking her up, comforting her, bouncing her. That just agitates her more.

Nobody knows your child better than YOU do. You are with them the most. You know what they need. You know what their different cries mean. If your baby settles better by being left to fuss or even cry for an amount of time, that is fine. I don't believe there is any harm in that.

I totally agree and you speak total sense to me. I have 5 other childen but 3 are not living at home [ they are grown up now] My older children twins - were often left to cry as having two the same age, there are few options. It did them no harm. I have two little ones at home now. My ds was a nightmare as a baby. He was very colicky and he just never settled [he is 3 now] and cried and cried. When he was a bit older i realised that he was one of these babies that fussed like you said and needed a little cry before going to sleep. Once i learnt his cries it was much better and i could read the signals. My dd who is just a week and 2 days old loves to be held she does loves to be held. She is however, currently having a little sleep in her swing!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->