Do you need to buy "newborn" cloth diapers?

redneckhippy

Reaction score
On most of the cloth diapers it says one size or around 7 lb - whatever, but then I also noticed that there are smaller "newborn" cloth diapers. Do I need to buy special newborn cloth diapers or will the normal cloth diapers work straight from birth? It's hard for me to justify buying a full set of cloth diapers that my little guy is going to grow out of in a month, so I was considering using disposables for the first month if I can't use normal cloth at first, but I would love to start with cloth from from day 1 if I can make it work.

Probably yes. I was sure I would just use one size, after all they say "from birth"...nope. Of course, I had a preemie, but all the other CD moms told me I would need newborn or to use disposables at first, I didn't believe them...some "newborn" go up to 16lbs, which will take you pretty far. DS was still wearing newborn covers up to 12 months old.

Do you think that is just true for the all-in-ones or would the same be true even with the "old" style diapers you have to pin on? I'm wondering because a friend of mine has just offered to give me a stash of those old style ones, so if they would work out I could try those out for the first few weeks? Or maybe someone will actually buy me the cloth diapers I put on my registry so I will have the money to buy some newborn ones. :)

Btw, am I a weirdo that I'm really excited about the diapers? lol, they are just so cute and I can't wait to see them on my baby's little butt!

You mean flats? Flats can be folded down, I think they would be fine for a newborn. I ended up with flats for DS when he was older, I am saving them for the little newborn. You may need smaller covers, but covers fold down a lot smaller.

Yes, I mean the AIO/Pocket styles.

My dd (1) is mainly in bumgenius btp, but they didn't fit her as a newborn (8lb 3oz) I used swaddlebees fitted birth to potty (need a wrap), they were given to me, I don't think they're available now (but may find some 2nd hand)..... they fitted perfectly.

I did consider the totsbots teenyfit, but then was given the others.... I've seen them in the shops and they are tiny!

With ds I used a muslin with a nappy nipper. I struggled to find a wrap to fit properly though.... went for imse vimse in the end. He was 6lb 8oz.

If you want to do cloth from birth, there is a good chance you will need newborn diapers (depending on the size of your LO), but you can still do it pretty cheaply. Consider using prefolds and covers for the newborn stage and/or buying pre loved. They are in them a short time so there tends to be lots in great condition in the used market (eBay or otherwise). When they are outgrown you can sell them again and make back most of what you spent.

I used tots bots aio from 8 days but used disposable before that however I could have used them from birth and Emily was 7lb exactly. I did own newborn ones but didn't like the fit so just used the aio no probs at all. Maybe just get a hand full of preloved new born ones and use a mix of disposible and those x

Where do you usually find the used ones? As I said, a friend is giving me some prefolds, so I think if i can find some covers I could use those.

Sophie didn't fit 'one size fits all' until she was about 9/10 weeks old. She was 7lbs 15oz at birth and was always chubby.

If I ever had another baby I would buy newborn sizes.

You can rent newborn diapers, too! We're going with Itsy Bitsy Bums. We live in the same city, but they ship all over. You pay $195 up front, but then get all but $40-70 back. (There is a $30 "bonus" if you take your refund as store credit.) It ends up being a lot cheaper than buying either newborn-sized cloth diapers or disposables.

You can rent newborn diapers, too! We're going with Itsy Bitsy Bums. We live in the same city, but they ship all over. You pay $195 up front, but then get all but $40-70 back. (There is a $30 "bonus" if you take your refund as store credit.) It ends up being a lot cheaper than buying either newborn-sized cloth diapers or disposables.

I ordered from them last black friday, I really like them. I will check out their rental program!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->