Do you need to prepare down there for labour??

K

Kellya009

So just wondering, is there something that you're supposed to do in the weeks before labour to get yourself ready to be stretched down there?

You could do perineal massage, it is thought to have decrease your risk of tearing by about 10% in 1st time mothers (although recent research suggests it might not have any effect). There are kegal/pelvic floor exercises you can do to help tone your muscles. But really nothing is like childbirth- stretching a bit with your fingers is a world away from a baby coming out of you! But your body knows what to do :)

Make sure you do pelvic floor excercises now and as soon after the birth as you can x

I asked my midwife the question & she said 'not a lot' perineal massage is fast becoming a thing of the past due to research.

There's just nothing like pushing the baby out!

TMI but me and my OH enjoy vaginal fisting as part of our fore play and we done a lot of this during my first pregnancy and I definately put it down to me not tearing or needing the cut during my birth, we have done it this time again...I definately think it has prepared me as Im quite stretchy down there :)

Ok good to know! I just didn't want to be unprepared and look like an idiot lol.

Yeah just pelvic floor exercises are best hun.... I've been slacking on these abit oops xx

Its not something you can do ahead of time, persay, but there are things during labor that you can do. like hot compresses, perinal massage, oils, lubricants, not power pushing, letting the skin stretch, and water birth. Seriously, waterbirth has been the best for me! Also, avoiding the lithamoy (sp?) position,avoiding an assisted delivery, and having an active birth where you pick the position will help loads.

As PPs have mention you can do various things like massage before hand, i did that with DS1 starting about 6 weeks before EDD. TBH though, im not very confident it helped much...the girls are right, pushing a watermelon out your foof is lite-years away from stretching the vaginal area with your fingers and oil :lol:
After having two water births, i can honestly say the best effects come from the things that you do during labor, moreso than what you do prior to labor...but it never hurts to try i suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->