Do you open your front door if you're not expecting anyone?

I don't unless I'm expecting someone.

I had someone knock a few times then went away, came back about 15 mind later and pressed the doorbell and knocked on the door THEN started knocking on the window and looking in!

I was so cross as Evie was asleep that I opened the door and asked him why he was rudely knocking on my window and he replied 'cos noone answered the door' so I told him my daughter was asleep and for him to piss off!

I was SOOOO mad!

We never answer the door or house phone either lol. All family/friends phone our mobiles if they need to get intouch and we know if they're coming round before hand. x

I always do because we have alot of delivery's (my excessive shoppping and OHs work stuff)

I have never thought not to open it??! x

yes i answer it but they have to be buzzed in so i know who it is first. if they use the trades button i look thru the spy hole and if its someone i dont know they dont get let in!!

i always have the chain on the door AND its always locked, i have a fear that someone will just burst in if its unlocked! :blush:

I would always answer it during the day, I've never thought not to really? :shrug: Is there some reason you shouldn't, just interested and a little paranoid now. :blush:

If I'm on my own though I won't open it as soon as it gets dark. :)

Not really. If I'm not expecting anyone then I usually don't answer because it's usually charity people or sales people that drive me nuts! I do have a chain on the door too, but that's more to prevent my monkey escaping when my back's turned!

I'm selective about opening my door. The only visitor it could be that I would know would be my MIL. My OH has keys, and we don't get any other people coming round. If it's someone I don't know, the chances are they don't even speak English (official language here is English, but many that work here are Spanish and don't speak English). I don't speak Spanish, so I'm stuck with them shouting at me in Spanish hoping that will help them to be understood :wacko: And I'm the first flat in the block, so a lot of people knock on our door asking if we know Mr Smith or whoever. I've only been living here a year; I don't know anyone :lol: Also we get a lot of religious people knocking and preaching to you; drives me bonkers and I don't want to be rude to them so half the time I can't be bothered to even open

Many people here leave their door on the latch during the day; so if you pop round to your MIL's house for example, you can just walk strqaight in. Being English born and raised I think it's mental and I would never do that. I would be so worried about someone just walking in and brandishing a knife, or LO walking out and getting hit by a car :shock:

I don't answer the door, my neighbour must hate me because she gets about 4 parcels a day delivered to her house :blush: Darren goes mad because if we order a takeaway he ALLLLLLWAYS *in kevin and perry teenager voice* hasd to go to the door. My health visitor hasn';t seen Hallie in years. I hate visitors unless I have invited them and I am fully prepared for them to come. However my mum and nan just open my front door and walk in but I don't mind that.

Thanks for all the replies, guess I'm not just a weirdo then!

I also get nervous when the door goes and wonder if whoever it is will think the house is empty and break in.

As for knocking late at night it's just plain rude!

As for knocking late at night it's just plain rude!
That goes hand in hand with phone calls late at night. My parents taught me to never call someone after 9pm, because you could never guarantee they would be awake, and it wasn't fair to interrupt their evening.

A few people IRL (that shall remain nameless) insist on calling us as late as 11pm. My OH has actually asked them what they think they're doing calling so late, but they still call. I have family in the UK, so if someone calls us late at night I automatically think it's a family emergency, and it gets my heart racing, only to find it's something stupid like "are you watching ITV right now?" - "no, I was actually in bed until you dragged me out of it" :wacko:

My anxiety means unless expected i won't open the door to anyone.

I answer the door......never thought anything of it :shrug:

During the day when I'm home alone, I never answer it. Just annoying salesmen anyway. Thankfully, we never have anyone knocking on the door in the evening.

Our door has glass in it so I can see through it, tbh, no one ever knocks, MIL walks in, so does my family, so any one who does knock its usually a sales person and I usually answer it never crossed my mind NOT to answer it lol

hate unexpected visitors, never open the door during the day unless I am expecting a delivery.

Normally the only people knocking are, salesmen, charity collectors (the ones wanting you to sign up for monthly direct debits) and religious folk wanting to talk to you about the end of time, even if I tell them I am muslim and therefore they would be wasting their time, they just produce one of their leaflets in arabic/urdu - I normally have to fake the phone ringing to get rid of them. Stopped answering the door now, even though I am sure that if they peeked through the windows they could see me sat on the sofa shushing my two year old.

Very few unexpected callers in the evening, let my husband deal with them.

I don't even go to the door unless i'm expecting signed for mail/a delivery or a visitor. Anyone I know can ring me and anything else i'm not interested in. Same with phone calls, I don't answer unless I know the number or am expecting a call from a company - they can leave a message!

Yeah, I answer. I have a window on my front door so I can see who it is, and I have a sign that says "I don't open the door for strangers" up :rofl: (it's sent out by one specific company, if you don't want their reps at your door, you put it up... but it actually stops everyone from coming lol)

I don't answer the door and the phone unless I know who it is, even then only sometimes.
The postman also knows that if there is something he needs me to open the door for, he is to come at a specific time. Lol.

I am so paranoid it's pathetic. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->