Do you think it should be law to RF until two?

Eve

Reaction score
The AAP now recommends rear-facing until at least two, but do you feel it should be made law?

My personal opinion is yes. I feel it would be best as it seems many people fail to see minimum requirements are just that, minimum. As long as we have these 9 months, or 12 month guidelines, the majority of babies will be turned forward without further thought, which scares me honestly.

I would love to see Canada make it law for rear-facing until the minimum of two years, and govern the cost of ERF seats, or give vouchers to help cover the added cost (which here isn't that bad, thankfully) but I know many to have troubles with the cost of ERF seats.

It is a good idea in theory but when my son was 8 months old, he no longer fits facing backwards because he is such a tall boy (he wears 18-24month clothes!!). He couldnt straiten his legs and he would kick and scream after half an hour in the car. Now he is forward facing and kicks my seat but at least he has more room. If they can design a carseat that is good for taller babies so they can stay facing backwards longer then yeh, i would say fantastic idea! :flower:

Yes, I think it should be law. There is more than enough evidence to support this as a basic safety precaution. It should be right up there with seatbelts.
It would be nice to see more choice in design and some alternative for taller kids, though.

I have a first years true fit and it's great for tall kids rear-facing. It RF until 35lbs but the height is amazing! I bought it for $101.00 taxes in, down from $199.99 + tax.

If the price was accessible to everyone, yes.

My guess is that the price would adjust fairly quickly as all seats would have to comply with this. That would expand the market pretty quickly and it wouldn't just be a specialty item at a higher price.

if they made them to fit all cars then yes but until they have a wide range to fit all cars and they are affordable to people who are on low incomes that i dont think it should be a law as its one that cant be kept

if they made it the law then i would expect them to bring the prices WAY down to the same level as FF car seats.

yes, if ERF seats had the same price range as FF seats

Im very pro ERF and can be fairly vocal about it at time lol! But im not sure.

At least it would be difficult here, here isnt really frowned upon and being not "normal", we had to import our seat. Also we will be turning our son very soon, we have a new seat, it is FF but safer than normal FF seats as it also acknowledges that a childs neck cant take the stain as therefore has a bar rather than straps. It makes it much much safer, although not as safe as ERF.

Anyway, the reason we are turning my son is that Im having twins (that cant be planned for) and i couldnt fit two infant car seats and my ERF seat in a row and I def wont fit three ERF seats in. I looked at different options, i could possibly have got one that would have worked when the twins were in infant seats but not when they werent.

We have changed to a 7 seater, but still couldnt put any of them in the rear row.

So other than getting a mini bus I couldnt continue to ERF when the twins come along, and then the safety of a mini bus really outweighs the benefits of ERF.

So Im mega ERF, but sometimes its not possible.

Only if as said before the prices came down and they where made to fit all cars..

I found one in Kiddicare(discontinued now due to lack of buying) £150 reduced would not fit our car what so ever! So then without paying about £300-£400 on a import and hoping it fiited we had to FF..

Add on the fact alot of people have only 3 door cars I cant see it working to well?

I don't know about law, but I'd like to see it more widely promoted and the seats come down in price. In the UK there's only about 20 shops in the whole country that actually sell the seats and can fit them. Beyond that you're relying on a very expensive imprort from somewhere like Scandanavia that may or may not fit your car. Not the best options really. Theres a lot of ignorance generally about car seats even at under 9 months. My niece, whose parents are both police officers, was in a FF seat at eight months! They turned her round so she could see out of the window.

In Canada and the US a child can be rear faced until 35lbs easily and very cheaply :) The UK the prices seem a lot more expensive but I have a seat I bought brand new on sale for $50.00, regular $99.00 or something like that. It is a dandy little seat and until we could afford a more expensive one, which is still just as cheap as most standard FF ones, we used it. If something were made law, like ERF and the government helped pay for the extra costs, compared to a decent FF seat, I think it would be great!

I honestly think it depends on the child. For healthy children, yes I think it should, and we will ERF any subsequent children. I think there should be allowances for children with a physical problem which means they physically cannot fit in an ERF seat (such as my own)

Definately. Making it law would also greatly increase availability and lower price!

I honestly think it depends on the child. For healthy children, yes I think it should, and we will ERF any subsequent children. I think there should be allowances for children with a physical problem which means they physically cannot fit in an ERF seat (such as my own)

i wanted to say this too but i didnt know how to :thumbup:

OT, but Tegan's Mama - your ticker says one day married? Huge congrats! :happydance:

Yes, then the likes of Asda would make cheap ones which everyone could afford and I might be able to buy one to fit my car, no RF fit in my car and there are only a few FF ones that do! :growlmad:
Eta.. I had never heard of RF before reading about it on here (amongst many other things!) so I think if it did become law a lot of people would be very confused x

Yes, then the likes of Asda would make cheap ones which everyone could afford and I might be able to buy one to fit my car, no RF fit in my car and there are only a few FF ones that do! :growlmad:
Eta.. I had never heard of RF before reading about it on here (amongst many other things!) so I think if it did become law a lot of people would be very confused x

Nothing some public education couldn't change very quickly, though, don't you think?

^^ oh definitely, probably just that video of the crash test dummies would be enough I'd have thought? I can just imagine it being a pretty foreign concept at first and people rejecting it. For example, I told my mum and auntie about it and got the 'well we didn't used to have all this and you were all fine..' :dohh:
Actually that's just reminded me, I'm sure I've read that RF is widely accepted as the done thing abroad but over here (UK) people don't like the idea of RF and that's why they don't sell the seats??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->