Do you think it should be law to RF until two?

This may be dating me a little, but I remember when the seatbelt laws got passed here in Canada (i was in grade 1, so around 1982 or so.) And I remember my mum telling me when I was a bit older that there were all sorts of people grumbling about another law telling them what to do. It's a safety no-brainer, but there was still all sorts of moaning and groaning.
Now, most of us feel physically naked without a seat belt on in a car, you know?

^^ oh definitely, probably just that video of the crash test dummies would be enough I'd have thought? I can just imagine it being a pretty foreign concept at first and people rejecting it. For example, I told my mum and auntie about it and got the 'well we didn't used to have all this and you were all fine..' :dohh:

That video alone is what did it for me! Had me in tears, the thought of how long I drove around in cars with my older 3 FF as soon as they out grew their infant carriers! I really couldn't afford my ERF seat, but after that video, there was no way I was letting a bit of money get in the way!

OT, but Tegan's Mama - your ticker says one day married? Huge congrats! :happydance:

I am indeed! Thankyou :D

I second this! big congrats on your wedding :hugs: :flower:

I think it should be made the law too, the price of rear-facing car seats would go down because there would be a massive rise in demand and it would mean babies would be a lot safe, people grumbling and moaning about it shouldn't get in the way of safety :flower:

The only reason ERF seats are more expensive is because they are a specialty item. I bought an ERF seat in the US (that I brought home with me as it was rated for use in NZ) for under $40 (and it fits in my Toyota Vitz). I could have spent $130 and gotten a bit more padding, but that one wasn't sold in NZ. There's nothing inherent in the manufacture of the seats that makes them more expensive. It's all about availability.

Congrats on the wedding hun! x

Yeah, they also need to have more educated people working in the sales departments. When I went in to buy my new seat for an awesome price, the guy was trying to tell me it was law to turn her forward at 1yr.. and he worked in Babies R us! :dohh: I was shocked and explained all about rear-facing to him and a few other customers, luckily a lady who was buying a real nice peg perego double stroller backed me up on it :) She also complimented me for my baby wearing :D

Yeah, they also need to have more educated people working in the sales departments. When I went in to buy my new seat for an awesome price, the guy was trying to tell me it was law to turn her forward at 1yr.. and he worked in Babies R us! :dohh: I was shocked and explained all about rear-facing to him and a few other customers, luckily a lady who was buying a real nice peg perego double stroller backed me up on it :) She also complimented me for my baby wearing :D

:shock: :dohh: :nope:

Yeah, I was not impressed... and the girls working there said he was the one who knew it all about car seats... he seemed to look a little pissed when I explained about the AAP and the recommendations and all.

Absolutely shocking! :dohh::nope:

It is a good idea in theory but when my son was 8 months old, he no longer fits facing backwards because he is such a tall boy (he wears 18-24month clothes!!). He couldnt straiten his legs and he would kick and scream after half an hour in the car. Now he is forward facing and kicks my seat but at least he has more room. If they can design a carseat that is good for taller babies so they can stay facing backwards longer then yeh, i would say fantastic idea! :flower:

My LO is also a tall man 99th percentile and he rearfaces just fine. The reason most babies hate RF when they are in the infant carrier is because they hate lying down, not because they are RF!. So as soon as you sit them up in the next stage car seat people assume it's because they think they are happy FF, when infact it's a myth!.

I never knew about ERF until I came on here so I wont pretend that I know a hell of a lot about it. Chloe and Jaycee have been in FF for a while and their seats are combination seats so can be RF or FF

I would like to see this, yes. If it were law, they'd be forced to bring the prices down and /or develop more seats that fit in every car.

I don't really understand the thing about taller babies as my toddler is 92cm and RF in my small car just fine...loads of room.

I would like to see this, yes. If it were law, they'd be forced to bring the prices down and /or develop more seats that fit in every car.

I don't really understand the thing about taller babies as my toddler is 92cm and RF in my small car just fine...loads of room.

I've been wondering about the height thing too! My ERF lasts til something like 4 yeras old based on 'average' weight, I find it very hard to believe that a baby/toddler woudln't fit in one!

My friend just has a basic convertible seat, I think it's a cosco alpha omega seat. Anyways, her son is really tall and big.. he is almost as big as the 3 yr old she babysits etc... and he was just turned FF as he just outgrew the height and weight limits of the basic standard convertible seats available in Canada. Their height doesn't matter much when rear facing. We in fact may think they are uncomfortable, when it fact they are perfectly fine :)

Seen this on a rear-facing facebook page.

I liked it a lot :)

FF and RF views. Picture not including their view of side windows.

Attachments

• FF view plus side windows.jpg
    FF view plus side windows.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2
  • rear facing view plus side windows.jpg
    rear facing view plus side windows.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 3
Only if as said before the prices came down and they where made to fit all cars..

I found one in Kiddicare(discontinued now due to lack of buying) £150 reduced would not fit our car what so ever! So then without paying about £300-£400 on a import and hoping it fiited we had to FF..

Add on the fact alot of people have only 3 door cars I cant see it working to well?

What car do you have?

I have a 3door car and and ERF carseat in the back. Its not a huge problem at all, even with a dodgy back.
I also paid £199.95, from a shop in the UK.

:shrug:

Yes I do think it should be made law. Give people 2 or 3 years to change over and give the manufacturers time to lower their prices. There is already an exemption in existing law for when two car seats prevent the fitting of a third, so it would be easy enough to make an similar exemption for rear facing. We're so far behind in car seat safety in this country and I honestly don't see any real reasons to prevent it becoming law.

Has anyone got a two door car and erf, and is it actually possible to get your LO in and out, at the moment I put my LO in the back, she's still in her maxi cosi pebble, and it's soooo tricky, I'm dreading the next size up seat but really want to ERF x

Has anyone got a two door car and erf, and is it actually possible to get your LO in and out, at the moment I put my LO in the back, she's still in her maxi cosi pebble, and it's soooo tricky, I'm dreading the next size up seat but really want to ERF x

Bathbabe!!

I used to have a 2 car with 3 car seats in it... THAT was tricky LOL!! Tho they weren't ERF, Id never heard of it back then!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->