Do you think it should be law to RF until two?

https://oneminute.rationalmind.net/mandatory-seatbelt-laws/

https://socyberty.com/law/buckle-off-argument-against-seatbelt-laws/

Reasons why I myself do not like seat belt laws.

Just curious - is this is a topic that is more widely known in the UK area (or other areas where some of you ladies are from :flower: ) Just wondering because here they released the information I believe earlier this year or last year, but other than that it's just not a huge topic or anything that is talked about. I think I have received one brochure on the recommended guidelines since they have changed but that is all. I'm just curious :flower:

I wouldn't say so! I didn't even know ERF existed until I saw it on this forum!

This is definately the most I have heard of it, is on this forum as well. Most of the people I talk to are just like oh they are always changing things, so nobody really pays a whole lot of attention to it. I'm not sure if I will ERF or not, not really sure how it will work in my little car as I've seen a few of the seats sold here and they are HUGE. Also I know DD1 was NOT pleasant to take on car rides when RF (We left her for a lil while after 1), and once we turned her around she loved them. I have a while to decide though! :)

It is a good idea in theory but when my son was 8 months old, he no longer fits facing backwards because he is such a tall boy (he wears 18-24month clothes!!). He couldnt straiten his legs and he would kick and scream after half an hour in the car. Now he is forward facing and kicks my seat but at least he has more room. If they can design a carseat that is good for taller babies so they can stay facing backwards longer then yeh, i would say fantastic idea! :flower:

My LO is also a tall man 99th percentile and he rearfaces just fine. The reason most babies hate RF when they are in the infant carrier is because they hate lying down, not because they are RF!. So as soon as you sit them up in the next stage car seat people assume it's because they think they are happy FF, when infact it's a myth!.

My son wasn't lay down. The carseat i have actually has him sat up right and thats part of the problem when he is rear facing. Maybe it's my car seat but i can assure you i know my son and that is the reason he is unhappy. Now he is forward facing and alot happier. I tried various toys, mirrors ect as i liked having him in the front seat rear facing but at least he is happy in the back seat facing forward

Pool noodles work great for seat positioning. I had to use one with my cosco, but the true fit, fits great! :)

Pool noodles work great for seat positioning. I had to use one with my cosco, but the true fit, fits great! :)

I will look into that! Since reading this thread, i have been looking for a new carseat. Any one know good ones that fit in a mazda 6? It has the isofix points but my current car seat isnt an isofix carseat as we bought the seat before getting the car x

I'm in Canada so our seats are totally different here for the most part but I think there is a thread in natural parentong with seats/cars etc... but I could be wrong here.

Really?! That second website just pissed me off, what a load of shite.
Im sorry but the benefits long out weigh the risks, just like RF/FF, and the whole 'you can only hurt/kill yourself if not wearing a seatbelt' is bullshit. You turn yourself into a projectile!! If your sat in the back without a seatbelt and you crash you will fly into the person infront and injure/kill them!

Im sorry but the benefits long out weigh the risks, just like RF/FF, and the whole 'you can only hurt/kill yourself if not wearing a seatbelt' is bullshit. You turn yourself into a projectile!! If your sat in the back without a seatbelt and you crash you will fly into the person infront and injure/kill them!

^^ WSS :thumbup:

Both of those websites annoyed me to be honest, you can hurt others by not wearing a seatbelt. I used to be a nurse and I can wholeheartly tell you people have been killed by other passengers not wearing a seatbelt.

You would not be allowed to ride a rollercoster without a seatbelt.

When you drive a car you should act responsibly, its not a right to be able to drive, its a privillage, as for adult passengers, i wouldnt be happy about having an adult in my car not wearing a seatbelt, even though its their responibilty.

As for children, to be honest whenever i see a child no in a seat belt its outraged. Yes seatbelts can cause injury, not wearing one def will.

I would encourage any parent who doenst make their child wear a seatbelt to spend and evening in A&E, see the MAJOR injuries and DEATHS caused by not wearing one, esp to children. Look up news reports of peoples deaths from not wearing one.

It seems crazy to even have a sub-debate on this on a thread about ERF, which is so the other end of the spectrum. I fully support and promote ERF, although my son has just switched to a FF seat, although one with a bar instead of the belt as the theory is the same, although i will admit that ERF is much safer still the bar seat i have also protects the neck. The only reason ive done so is im expecting twins and cant get my infant seats in with the ERF seat i have and I am really struggling getting my son into his ERF seat, whereas he will climb in and sit in the other seat for me to "bar" him in.

Anyway, whatever anyone does with regards their child's saftety i wish you all safe and happy journeys. :hugs:

Actually, the only people I know that have died in car accidents have died from wearing seatbelts.

I am not against seatbelts or car seats. I am against ridiculous money grabbing laws. I think most people would choose to wear a seat belt.

Along the same lines as wearing a bike helmet. I don't think someone should be able to try and force me to wear a bike helmet.

Like I said, I don't know where I stand with the car seat thing, because obv children are a dif story, but a grown woman or man should be able to decide.

No one, adult or child, would travel in my car without wearing a seat belt - law or not! If they refused.. they'd be walking!

Seatbelt LAWS, not seat belts themselves.

People who decide to not wear a seatbelt, or text and drive, or speed, or jaywalk, or litter, or smoke near a public building, etc. DONT CARE about a ticket. What does a ticket do to someone? People will continue to do these things if they want, a useless law does nothing, IMO. Everyone I know has had a speeding ticket, and everyone has paid it and continued to speed.

I get what you're saying - seat belt tickets have gone up to over $100 here. I always wear my seatbelt, and as you said you agree wth seatbelts, just the laws. They are getting a bit out of control, IMO.

I hate to be picky.. but Ive never had a speeding ticket!! Tho, that is only becasue I live in cornwall, where we have about 2 speed cameras in the whole county, and 3 police officers who are always busy with accidents on backroads! :haha:

Actually, the only people I know that have died in car accidents have died from wearing seatbelts.

Caused by wearing a seatbelt?

Ive seen injuries causes by wearing a seat belt, nothing very serious, ive seen a lot of injuries causes by airbags, which can cause nasty burns, ive even heard of people dying from airbags, although ive never had a victum in A&E who did. As for deaths CAUSED by seatbelts, ive never seen or heard of one in the hospital i worked at or any other hospital. Not saying its not possible, im sure it is, but im very shocked at "the only people i know that have died in car accidents have died from wearing seatbelts". maybe in canada seatbelts are different?

Obviously the point of ERF is that the resistraint or seatbelt can cause internal decapatation, so yes i know it does happen, however i expect if a child died in an accident from that cause, without the seatbelt the outcome would have been the same.

Yes, atleast 2. Amelie will be RF until shes atleast 4, hopefully a bit longer as shes on the small side. I think the carseat laws and information in the UK is horrendously out of date.

& as for the whole 'as adults we should make a choice', like someone else said, in a crash a person without a seatbelt becomes a projectile and can kill someone else quite easily. Plus, the driver who collided with the car whether they were at fault or not will have the guilt of having 'killed' someone.

It is a good idea in theory but when my son was 8 months old, he no longer fits facing backwards because he is such a tall boy (he wears 18-24month clothes!!). He couldnt straiten his legs and he would kick and scream after half an hour in the car. Now he is forward facing and kicks my seat but at least he has more room. If they can design a carseat that is good for taller babies so they can stay facing backwards longer then yeh, i would say fantastic idea! :flower:

My LO is also a tall man 99th percentile and he rearfaces just fine. The reason most babies hate RF when they are in the infant carrier is because they hate lying down, not because they are RF!. So as soon as you sit them up in the next stage car seat people assume it's because they think they are happy FF, when infact it's a myth!.

My son wasn't lay down. The carseat i have actually has him sat up right and thats part of the problem when he is rear facing. Maybe it's my car seat but i can assure you i know my son and that is the reason he is unhappy. Now he is forward facing and alot happier. I tried various toys, mirrors ect as i liked having him in the front seat rear facing but at least he is happy in the back seat facing forward

my 2 year old has plenty of room in her RF carseat. There are car seats out there that do upto 4 without them being squashed, you just have to look for them.

https://www.familjeliv.se/hem/finesse/gallery/phpwbldyi.jpghttps://www.carseat.se/images/annikahiway.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->