Do you think it should be law to RF until two?

So thankful he was rear facing!

This is my cousin's wife's car... her and her 11 month old son were heading home, and daddy was two cars behind. He thought he lost them. He got to the vehicle and tried to keep them calm. Once smoke started coming out of the vehicle he feared it would catch fire so he removed the entire seat with Alex still inside until the paramedics got there. He has some seat belt/harness burn but is okay. Mom suffered a broken wrist etc.. and had to have surgery.
Alex is safe... they both survived.

Thank god for rear facing and seat belt/ car seat laws.

Attachments

• Sams car.jpg
    Sams car.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 0
Wow, glad everyone is ok!

I don't think anyone is questioning the use of seatbelts or carseats themselves, just how strict the laws are getting. I agree, thank God for the seatbelts, and the carseat.

So thankful he was rear facing!

This is my cousin's wife's car... her and her 11 month old son were heading home, and daddy was two cars behind. He thought he lost them. He got to the vehicle and tried to keep them calm. Once smoke started coming out of the vehicle he feared it would catch fire so he removed the entire seat with Alex still inside until the paramedics got there. He has some seat belt/harness burn but is okay. Mom suffered a broken wrist etc.. and had to have surgery.
Alex is safe... they both survived.

Thank god for rear facing and seat belt/ car seat laws.

Glad they are both ok! :flower:

That accident shows why it's so important to rear face your infants/toddlers.

https://oneminute.rationalmind.net/mandatory-seatbelt-laws/

https://socyberty.com/law/buckle-off-argument-against-seatbelt-laws/

Reasons why I myself do not like seat belt laws.

Really?! That second website just pissed me off, what a load of shite.
Im sorry but the benefits long out weigh the risks, just like RF/FF, and the whole 'you can only hurt/kill yourself if not wearing a seatbelt' is bullshit. You turn yourself into a projectile!! If your sat in the back without a seatbelt and you crash you will fly into the person infront and injure/kill them!

Seatbelt LAWS, not seat belts themselves.
I still agree with the law. Nothing will change my mind, its law because its a safety issue. Personally i feel if somebody doesnt want to wear their seatbelt then they can walk.
Nobody who gets in my car will be driven anywhere until they have all belted up, even OH, heck, i even put my belt on if im just pulling out of my parking spot to re-arrange the cars! (Cars come flying down my litttle ally way to the car sales place behind me.)
If somebody doesnt want to wear a belt then in my opinion they are completely selfish. Its not just for their safety but others in the car too.
Its a law i totally whole heartedly agree with.
I know someone who died because they were wearing a seat belt, but in most cases that belt would of saved him.
A child might die in a rearfacing seat that could of been saved if in a forward facing seat but RF would still be safer in most cases.

So bringing it back onto subject - yes it should be law to RF till at least 2. It is safer, its protecting children who are unable to make a decision themselves regarding safety, so why shouldnt it be law?

^^ I agree here with you bathbabe. I make Mark wear one and anyone who is in my vehicle wears one, end of. I explained to Mark that him being stupid could kill his daughter in an accident.. he gives me the *you are seriously crazy* look but puts it on... I would kick him out of he didn't lol and he knows it!

Blackberry, I wonder if the law needs to be stronger?
Here is the thing:
Ideally, people would make the choice to avail themselves of the safest option.
Unfortunately, many people vastly underestimate the real risk of driving/riding in a motor vehicle and violate laws all the time - as you said, a fine for breaking a safety-based law does not seem to be much of a deterrent.
So maybe the deterrent needs to be harsher.
What if speeding or not wearing a seatbelt or another safety violation resulted in license suspension?
Like for a year.

I actually think that punishment fits the crime far more than $100 for speeding, etc does. As your choice to violate safety regulations clearly impacts the choice of others to BE safe, maybe the result is that you don't get to play in the proverbial sandbox for awhile.

:shrug:

I am thinking about the year I lived in Sweden and how the drinking & driving laws there were so strict. One infraction and you lost your license for life. Those are high stakes.

Food for thought? :shrug:

^^ I like that one too! The whole drinking and driving thing pisses me right off! I have told friends once when they decided they were leaving after drinking that I would call the police if they started their car. I told them I could care less if they were pissed at me, I would rather upset them and make them stay or have them arrested than dead. I think if you get caught drinking and driving you should have your license revoked and that be that...

Here the fines are tied to your income so the more you earn the more you pay - so I think it much be more of a deterrent than those little fines that are just pocket cash to high earners - one man was fined over 100,000 euros for speeding!

It is a good idea in theory but when my son was 8 months old, he no longer fits facing backwards because he is such a tall boy (he wears 18-24month clothes!!). He couldnt straiten his legs and he would kick and scream after half an hour in the car. Now he is forward facing and kicks my seat but at least he has more room. If they can design a carseat that is good for taller babies so they can stay facing backwards longer then yeh, i would say fantastic idea! :flower:

My LO is also a tall man 99th percentile and he rearfaces just fine. The reason most babies hate RF when they are in the infant carrier is because they hate lying down, not because they are RF!. So as soon as you sit them up in the next stage car seat people assume it's because they think they are happy FF, when infact it's a myth!.

My son wasn't lay down. The carseat i have actually has him sat up right and thats part of the problem when he is rear facing. Maybe it's my car seat but i can assure you i know my son and that is the reason he is unhappy. Now he is forward facing and alot happier. I tried various toys, mirrors ect as i liked having him in the front seat rear facing but at least he is happy in the back seat facing forward

my 2 year old has plenty of room in her RF carseat. There are car seats out there that do upto 4 without them being squashed, you just have to look for them.

https://www.familjeliv.se/hem/finesse/gallery/phpwbldyi.jpghttps://www.carseat.se/images/annikahiway.jpg

going shopping on Sunday to get a new one. I been looking into rear facing and im sold

I think theyre way more securely fitted than your average combi seat too. They tether in under the seat infront as well as the seatbelt being 'trapped' in the seat.

Amelies doesnt budge at all when you try and shake it.

I wish mine could secure on the front or whatever... but it doesn't. I have the tether and even have a spot behind my seat for the forward facing tether, and it could go under the seat and clip in but where it doesn't have it in the manual, obviously it wouldn't be a good idea.

We attached ours to the metal bits that the front seat can 'slide' on IYKWIM?

I wish mine could secure on the front or whatever... but it doesn't. I have the tether and even have a spot behind my seat for the forward facing tether, and it could go under the seat and clip in but where it doesn't have it in the manual, obviously it wouldn't be a good idea.

What do you mean? What seat do you have?
I have the britax hi way 2 and if i put the seat in the front i can pull the tethers under the front seat to secure them, it shows it in the manual.
Or am i totally on the wrong track here? Lol x

I have a First Years True Fit and I don't think it's meant to use the tether on the back while rear-facing, but I would feel better if it did.

Blackberry, I wonder if the law needs to be stronger?
Here is the thing:
Ideally, people would make the choice to avail themselves of the safest option.
Unfortunately, many people vastly underestimate the real risk of driving/riding in a motor vehicle and violate laws all the time - as you said, a fine for breaking a safety-based law does not seem to be much of a deterrent.
So maybe the deterrent needs to be harsher.
What if speeding or not wearing a seatbelt or another safety violation resulted in license suspension?
Like for a year.

I actually think that punishment fits the crime far more than $100 for speeding, etc does. As your choice to violate safety regulations clearly impacts the choice of others to BE safe, maybe the result is that you don't get to play in the proverbial sandbox for awhile.

:shrug:

I am thinking about the year I lived in Sweden and how the drinking & driving laws there were so strict. One infraction and you lost your license for life. Those are high stakes.

Food for thought? :shrug:

^^WSS

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"