Do you/Would you let your child play with toy guns?

We never had guns growing up and I have older brothers too. We had a few water guns but empty washing up liquid bottles were mostly our weapon of choice haha :)

I don't think I'll ban them but I won't actively encourage them in our home. I know kids pick up these things anyway.

yeah why not? not the realistic ones of course, but nerf and water guns and 'cowboys' sets etc. i played with them as a kid and loved the squidgy darts that my brother had that shot out

none of us think ''oh well i played with toy guns now i must go and buy a real one because it will be fun!'' :haha:

i dont think toys promote violence in any sense... you see cartoons with giant monsters and ray guns used which is no different really :) xxx

No.

We have real guns so we have strict standards about how they are viewed in this home. He will be allowed, when much older, to practice at a range and learn safety from his father with the real ones.

If he wants to do the finger gesture then meh but we don't keep imitations around.

Sams 3 now and has no toy guns of any sort and no army type figures mind hes totally into trains and hasnt shown any interest but if he did i would probably discourage it he wouldnt even know what a gun was to be honest as he hasnt seen any of the kids programmes that have fighting or shotting type stuff in them.

I remember visiting my Aunt in Germany when i was 8 so 25 years ago and we took toy guns over for my male cousin as that sort of toy just wasnt sold in Germany at all then even though he lived on a british army base.

I say no, her dad says yes.

I'm not anti-gun, but I don't think they should be viewed as toys. If she asked for a Nerf gun or water gun we'd probably get it though.. a bit different IMO

Meh, I have 2 brothers who were waving realistic toy guns around since they were babies. They're now happy, caring, loving doctors... Done them no harm at all. :coffee:

In my house no. Daniel has water pistols and a thing that shoots out balls but i have drawn the line at replica guns.

Unfortunately my in-laws totally disregarded our wishes and have bought Daniel several guns. I have to say that his behaviour while at my in-laws is always a lot more violent and aggressive when he's been playing with his guns. As he's nearly 5 i have spoken to him about what happens when someone dies etc and i do believe he understands it. It does disturb me to hear him saying things like 'bang bang you're dead' and 'i'm going to kill you' Thankfully he doesn't play with them very often.

Yes...BUT I would have conditions on them. Same as I had with the boys I've cared for in the past. First of all, would never buy for them when they are very young and would never outright buy if they never asked. I wouldn't buy any that looked too realistic, only obviously play ones--water guns, nerf guns, maybe a plastic dress-up sword. Any given to us as gifts would be exchanged if I didn't find it appropriate. And I would never allow any of the 'I'm going to kill you' games. It would be redirected to a water fight maybe pretending to be a knight rescuing the princess from the dragon, etc. I had a little boy who I nannied for who loved his guns, swords and role play and only because he learned it from the older children in the neighborhood. But I always made sure we played superhereos or knights with them instead. I told him I'd put them away if he spoke like that.

I think regardless of how well you try to eliminate this kind of play, it's natural for children. They will create guns out of anything, even if they have very little contact with it. Whether it be from school, tv commercials or older children in the neighbourhood. I think sheltering them from everything is unrealistic. I think it should be more about supervised & redirected play. Correcting when things become too out of hand.

Yeah William has guns, nerf ones he likes shooting and ones that makes noises. All the kids here he plays with go target shooting and play army. Just boys stuff.

I said yes, although the kids dont have any yet.

Its a toy, nothing more x

no way!! guns are totally evil!! letting them play with a toy gun sends mixed messages to a child, why is it ok to 'play' at killing people when it is totally wrong to do it in 'real life' ??Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->