Doctor appointments (HELP PLEASE!)

Lirpa11

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am in a but of predicament! I don't know when I should schedule in my next doctor appointments and where!

We have completed ivf and we are now 7.5 weeks pregnant. I have the final appointment with the RE (providing all is going well) on Tuesday and he releases us to normal obgyn of our choice...

Now here's the catch! We are currently in Australia and I have been here nearly ten years. I am moving back to the United States (north georgia), and will arrive 2 days before I am 12 weeks! I'm guessing I will have an appointment around then? Or do I have one earlier?

Am I best to phone up a doctors office in georgia and schedule an appointment after I arrive or just wait? I am worried if I wait and book when I arrive, that I will need to wait another 2-3 weeks after I get there to be seen?

Do I schedule a scan or a doctor appointment and then a scan, or the other way around? :shrug:

Sorry for all the questions but I have no idea about what to do from here!

Hi everyone, I am in a but of predicament! I don't know when I should schedule in my next doctor appointments and where!

We have completed ivf and we are now 7.5 weeks pregnant. I have the final appointment with the RE (providing all is going well) on Tuesday and he releases us to normal obgyn of our choice...

Now here's the catch! We are currently in Australia and I have been here nearly ten years. I am moving back to the United States (north georgia), and will arrive 2 days before I am 12 weeks! I'm guessing I will have an appointment around then? Or do I have one earlier?

Am I best to phone up a doctors office in georgia and schedule an appointment after I arrive or just wait? I am worried if I wait and book when I arrive, that I will need to wait another 2-3 weeks after I get there to be seen?

Do I schedule a scan or a doctor appointment and then a scan, or the other way around? :shrug:

Sorry for all the questions but I have no idea about what to do from here!
If you can schedule the appointment before you arrive in Georgia, I'd probably do that. Just schedule your appointment for prenatal care and they'll more than likely do a scan at that point. Just let them know how far along you'll be. They'll probably ask when you schedule the appointment anyway. Most US doctors want to do a scan either during your first visit (to confirm pregnancy) anywhere from 6-9 weeks and if they don't do that, then they definitely want to do a 12 week scan. Then they typically plan a second one during your 20 week appointment.
If you can be seen before you get here, you might want to do that since they like to see you at least once a month during the early stages. That part is ultimately up to you. Just start researching doctors in the area (GA) and call them up and ask their opinion!

Most of the nurses you speak to over the phone will be really helpful and willing to give you all the info you need. They know the doctors best, so they know when your doc would prefer to see you. If they're not nice on the phone, then it's the wrong doctor's office and you don't want to spend the next 9 months dealing with them. ;)

I would ask the doctor in the US if they want you to see someone in Australia before coming to the US. Maybe they will be able to forward your records over when you move.

Thanks ladies I haven't thought about forwarding our records. We went through ivf so have been having blood tests twice a weeks for 4 weeks now, and we had our first scan 2 days ago. It's all looking good so I know the fertility clinic will release us, it's just figuring out where to go from here and in which country! I'll call the clinic in georgia after seeing our doctor on Tuesday and organise an appointment for after I arrive.

I would find someone in Australia for the next four weeks as well as get lined up with someone in Georgia too asap, but I'm a little neurotic. Make sure your health care is all set for the usa so you can be sure your OB is in your network. Good luck!

MamaLC has some great advice. I'm with Sass though. I'm completely neurotic. A new level or neurotic. I know my doctor plans to see me between 8-10 weeks and then I assume again at 12-13. I know you have had blood tests and a scan, but it might be worth having an appointment with your obgyn of choice that is focused on prenatal care. I would also start calling around to schedule your check in the US. Appointments can book up pretty fast, and if you're landing right around 12 weeks I would want mine right away haha.

I'd definitely call in advance from Australia to schedule an appointment before you get to the U.S.

Your OB in the US is probably also going to want a record of your IVF treatment/cycle. I'd talk to your RE as well as to whether they think you will require OB care between them releasing you and you getting to the U.S. Chances are that any bloodwork and screening tests done in Australia will end up being repeated by the OB in Georgia so think about whether you want to go through all that twice over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->