Doctor made me cry!

andik

Reaction score
Just wanted to get this off my chest as I am so frustrated so hope you don't mind!

Had to take Nathan to the doctors today as he needed his check up with the health visitor, 8 week check with the doctor and his 2nd set of immunisation jabs with the nurse. I have spent the last 5 days with Nathan constantly crying and feeding at the breast at least 4 times every hour. I was getting stressed and Nathan wouldn't settle so spent ages deliberating with OH and finally decided to try formula. We tried yesterday and Nathan was a different baby, very happy and alert, didn't cry and even slept for 3 hours straight without being held! He was still sick at each feed but figured that was the reflux.

When I saw the health visitor I told her I had put him on bottles and said the hospital had told me if I did go onto formula he would need Nutriprem on prescription so she said that obviously breastfeeding is best but if we were happier then ask the doctor when we went in.

Spoke to the doctor and told her he was still struggling with his reflux and bring sick. Said I had stopped using the gaviscon she prescribed as that made him seriously constipated and asked what we could do. She basically made me feel like a liar and told me what I said didn't make sense as the health visitor had told her he had gained weight. She said just to use the gaviscon if he needed it and dismissed the constipation altogether.

I felt frustrated with this as I know there are alternatives she could have suggested but stupidly let it go. Then I told her about the bottle feeding and she basically told me that as he is premature breast milk is best so told me to go back to bresstfeeding and if necessary give the occasional bottle but would not prescribe nutriprem.

I have walked out in tears feeling like I have let Nathan down by pitting him on bottles but he was so much happier and now I don't think I can continue with bottles as I guess the cow and gate is not sufficient. I really feel selfish for wanting him to be on bottles and it wasn't an easy decision to start with but I would rather that than see him cry constantly for another 4 days and stress us both out. I am so upset, frustrated and conflicted in my own mind that I don't know what to do now.

Sorry for going on but just wanted to let it all out and knew people here would understand!

Oh hun - take absolutely no notice of these so called "experts".

You do what is best for you and baby - and a happy, unstressed formula fed bub, is far better than an unhappy, hungry breastfed baby. You have done so well to give him your milk so far - no one with any sensitivity can blame you for switching.

I expressed milk for Evie (a 24weeker) for 6 months, but by the time she came home my milk was depleted. We tried to feed her, and managed for a few weeks, but it was clear that she just wasn't satisfied and screamed at the breast. She was getting distressed, which in turn made her breathing noisy and laboured, and we were at the end of our tether. Not to mention extremely worried about her.

Formula milk was like paradise in comparison. We didn't have prescription milk incidentally, but instead bought Aptamil from Boots, which is can be got on prescription. It is the best around, and Evie is now a happy healthy 5yr old.

I have very little respect for many GPs tbh - their bedside manner leaves much to be desired, and being insensitive to you at what is a difficult time is unforgivable hun. You carry on with the formula, you now have a contented baby which is what counts.

As for constipation, if I remember correctly, the Aptamil helps combat that too - could be wrong tho. Go and have a good forage at Boots, and try a few options.

There are many, many women who don't manage to breastfeed prem babies rat all - you have and should feel proud that baby got atleast some of your milk. DOn't beat yourself up that you've now switched :hugs::hugs::hugs:

I lot of what your doc said is balls!

We were never ever put on Nutriprem, we were discharged on whatever milk we decided to use, along with iron and Abidec as meds. We went home and I stuck to expressing but it became too much for me. So we moved to formula too.

We too haveto deal with the dreaded reflux, but the Gaviscon caused constipation and we just couldnt win. We started to use SMA Staydown, which you can get in Boots or a big Tesco. It did everything the Gaviscon did without the constipation. I was made up!

I then discovered that some girls on here were getting SMA Staydown on prescription. So I went to the doc and said that the woman in Boots told me I could get i on prescription, an the simply wrote one out :thumbup: rather than represcribing Gaviscon.

Lizzie is right too, aptmil helps with constipation too.

You're not letting Nathan down. If anything neonatal told me to start using some formula to help Alex put on weight, and it sure worked. People dont like to talk about the 'benefits' of formula, but when it comes to preemies, it helps a lot! Remember you've given him the best start!

I would echo a lot of what the others have already said. I expressed for the boys for about 4 weeks but after that I couldn't keep up with them & so we put them onto formula.

The boys came home on Aptamil (nutri prem was never even mentioned) with gaviscon and we didn't have any problems with constipation. Just do what you think is best for Nathan. I found that the majority of GPs do not have a clue when it comes to prem babies, and so I would speak to the boys consultant (usually through his secretary!!) if I had any concerns relating to their prematurity rather than their general health x

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your replies. I felt so much better to know I wasn't failing and have since gone back and requested to speak to a different gp at the surgery who acknowledged he did not know enough about prem babies and is going to speak to the consultant at the hospital. In the meantime thanks to everyones encouragement I have stuck with the bottles and feel so much better so thank you all!!

I just wanted to add, you can buy Nutriprem from Boots. Its not on the shelevs, you have to ask for it.:hugs:

Thanks Jac, I didnt know that! I wish I knew before! xx

Sorry I am very late to this discussion - I used to buy nutriprem from the chemist - they have to order it in specially and it was expensive - I used to buy a crate of think 6 or 8 at a time... it was 11 years ago! so I am not sure if its still the same but do check with the chemist. I would also make a new appointment but with a new doctor.

Sorry if this is too late.

I expressed with ethan until his due date lol (a month) and had to top up with Aptamil as I never had enough milk - the HV and midwives all recommended it and he's done brilliantly on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->