Doctor requiring genetic counseling before Maternity21 test

Letsgo

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm confused about how my new OB does some things. With my last pregnancy I had the Maternity blood test done and it was no big deal. I think I signed a form and someone drew blood right in the doctor's office. Next appointment I was told all is well.

Fast forward 2 years. New doc says I have to have a 60 minute Skype call from her office (or drive 90 miles to the level 2 maternity ward) before I can have the test done. I set this up for the same day I have to go to the far away specialty hospital for my anatomy scan (also new, last doc didn't send me out for that). At my appointment today (13 weeks) doc was all flustered that I was "putting it off" and is having me come back in a few weeks to do the Skype call before I can have the test done.

Has anyone had to do this type of counseling before getting a blood test done? This is crazy, right?

I get that I am an older mom (With a frozen baby so it's a little younger), but now I'm paranoid that she saw something wrong at my 8 week scan and is trying to prepare me.

I kept saying I don't understand why it had to be this way. Maybe it's a research study? At any rate, it's annoying and I have to take off more time from work for a test that I don't see how I'd do anything of substance with the results.

Thanks for reading this far. I'm curious to hear anyone else's story.

I didn't have this exact test done, but I did have to meet with a genetic counselor before my NT scan. I'm 27. It seems pretty routine in my doctor's office (I'm in a high risk office, not sure if that makes a difference). They basically just went over family history and mine and my husband's history to see if there were any specific genetic issues they should be looking for.

Sorry it's causing you so much stress! :hugs:

Back when I had my daughter, I had to meet with the genetic counselor before the MaterniT21 test. I was older though (46 when I had her) so the counselor wanted to go over all my risk ratios based on my age and then she explained a lot regarding older eggs and problems with placenta and such. Basically, scare me to death! I didn't mind the meeting bc she answered a lot of questions I had too, but she was located in my perinatologists office so I didn't have to go anywhere or make a special time for a skype appt either. I saw her and then the perinatologist did my anatomy scan and then I had my blood draw for the test.

Good luck.

I had to meet with a genetic counselor before taking the test. My OB did say that it was optional and she could have just ordered the test if I declined to meet with the counselor. I chose to meet with the counselor but I have all my appointments at the hospital so it didn't cause too much trouble.

Thanks for the support and comments! I'm a research librarian and I feel like I know too much already (my roommate in grad school was an ER resident who dated only gynecology residents. That was a weird year). I think now I'm just annoyed that it is more time off work for what feels like a CYA-type thing. I'm more than capable of researching in medical journals and I've always been aware of the risks of assisted reproduction, and age.

At my first official prenatal, I also had to go talk to a family planning/ health education counselor. We spent about 30-60 minutes going over family history, any concerns I may have, if I wanted to opt into ethnic based testing... I'm 28 and not considered high risk, but at this appointment we basically decided what bloodwork I wanted done, signed consent forms, and signed other forms. I had my blood drawn later since she said I could do it any time before 12w and my bloodwork for the screening I signed up for was at 11w so I just opted to wait and do it all at once. Could just be standard practice/liability stuff idk. Sorry it's so inconvenient though :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->