Doctor telling us we HAVE to wait 3 cycles after miscarriage

Nevhood918

Reaction score
So we miscarried a week ago, also about 3 months ago. We had an appointment today and he pretty much said do not get pregnant for 3 cycles. He was very serious about it. He said the first miscarriage was bad luck, the second we didn't wait long enough so now we must wait 3 full cycles to start trying again, I feel like he's being a parent telling us what choices to make, I've read so much about it really not mattering if you get pregnant right after a miscarriage. He said next time he will prescribe us progesterone to help but I feel like if we get pregnant in a month or 2 he's like not going to prescribe it for us or something cause we didn't listen. What do you guys think? Should we get a second opinion and tell the other doctor our situation or what?

I think that's really quite harsh of him. He is there to give you advice and then it's your decision whether or not to take it, not to blackmail you with withholding treatment. I would definitely get a second opinion.
Hope your okay and sorry to hear of your losses

How far along were you? The further along you are, the longer it takes for your cervix to close up. My dr said that after my mc at 6 weeks I should wait 1 cycle, but when I asked directly, so said it was more about dating and it was fine to try right away if we wanted to. He can't make you do anything and you can always find another dr if you get pregnant in less than 3 cycles. I know waiting is so hard, esp if it feels unnecessary. Good luck. :flower:

My dr said 2 cycles. I've heard mixed things as well, but you have to remember, everybody heals at different rates. He's probably thinking that waiting will help make sure your body is completely healed.

i misscarried in 07 at 11wks 3 days and fell pregnant right away with ds1, I did get quite a bit of bleeding early on in the pregnancy though

Did you have a d&c? If not there is no reason to wait and you can conceive straight away after your mc. My GP told me to wait a month but that is just because of dating the pregnancy. Also there is some evidence to suggest that you actually slightly decrease your chance of a mc if you manage to conceive within 6 months of the previous pregnancy. I'm sorry for your losses but the mc did not happen because you conceived soon after your previous loss. If I was you I would find another doctor, one who is much more supportive. I hope your next one is sticky!

I got unintentionally pregnant 3 weeks after a D&C for a miscarriage. There was no "waiting three cycles" about it. DD is 9 months.

He offered his advice, but it's completely up to you as to what you do. I really don't think he'd not prescribe the progesterone just because you didn't follow his advice (unless he's a real jerk). After all, he's a medical professional and most will do what they feel is medically best for their patients.

I've had 2 mc and the last one I lost the baby at 8 and a half weeks, we fell pregnant right away after we lost our little one and I'm now 16 weeks pregnant.

It's probably just a precaution, especially if it was an early loss. Maybe he thinks your body needs a little bit more time to heal afterwards.
NOrmally after an early loss, it's ok to try again ASAP.

I miscarried at 8 weeks. I ovulated exactly one week later and six weeks after that I took a test after AF failed to show. Pregnant. No one (except my husband) believed me! I had a very boring (thankfully) pregnancy and my 14 month old son is fast asleep in his cot as I'm typing this.

I was told to wait three cycles before TTC again after my MMC in March. My dr pretty much demanded it (in a nice way) due to complications with my MMC that required an emergency D&C at 2 in the morning, and a hospital stay to recover from. However strongly he suggested we wait, he did mention that if I were to get pregnant again in a shorter time frame, to make an appointment to see him right away. We waited two cycles. As much as I wanted to be pregnant again right away, I think being forced to wait allowed me to heal both mentally as well as physically.
You know your body best. If you feel the urge to TTC again right away, then go for it. Providing of course, that there isn't a medical reason why you should wait. And if that's the case, your dr would have informed you of that. and no, he can't refuse you treatment just because you didn't follow his advice on when to TTC again. If he did, that would warrant a complaint to the medical board.

I had early miscarriage before. My doc also recommended 3 months between. We actually conceived after I stopped bleeding from the miscarriage. We had a healthy baby boy. I did have a rocky preg with some scares but, he's 2 years old now so I'd say it all worked out. I've read studies from respected colleges about waiting to conceive vs conceiving immediately and it found no increase in risk. I'll try to find the studies. Also, they sometimes say wait a few months just to ensure that you are emotionally ready for another try.

I've had multiple early miscarriages. I was told to wait until I had had one regular period - but that was only so it would be easier for them to date the pregnancy. If it's an early miscarriage and there are no special considerations due to your particular circumstances, research has shown that there is no medical reason to wait.

did you have a D&C one or both times? after my D&C we were also instructed not go try for 3 months, as due to the surgery (it was an emergency one) they said it would take that time for my uterus lining to recover and grow until a decent thickness to be able to accommodate the new baby implanting, and that if we tried earlier that the chances of miscarrying again were higher as the uterus lining could be still too thin.

honestly, i was happy to wait. sure, it wasn't easy BUT - it helped my body recover and helped me heal a bit mentally. also, i didn't want to TTC immediately, as i felt the baby i have lost needed its time to be grieved and honored, rather than replaced with another - but this is my personal view on the things and other people find TTCing straight away the right thing for them to do.

I'd get a second opinion if i were you. if you had a D&C done both times i can understand the concerns of your doctor though, even though he came through as patronizing.

I've had multiple early miscarriages. I was told to wait until I had had one regular period - but that was only so it would be easier for them to date the pregnancy. If it's an early miscarriage and there are no special considerations due to your particular circumstances, research has shown that there is no medical reason to wait.

This is the reason I think they tell you to wait - unless of course you have complications - my pregnancy was really difficult to date, although since I feel ovulation (and felt it a week after I stopped bleeding, so I was pretty certain of my dates. No one believed me though and when I went to the EPU, they refused to accept I was six weeks pregnant rather than 14 or something based on my last actual period. I just counted the miscarriage as a period and my dates were pretty spot on.

I had a mmc in April at almost 10 weeks. I was also advised to wait 3 cycles before ttc. They also asks me to wait 3 months before having an ultra sound & blood tests to determine the reasons of the mc, I have no clue why I have to wait for the blood tests. I had a D&C on April 17th. I'm already on my 3rd AF. I honestly wasn't ready earlier to actively start ttc, we're NTNP

With my 1st I had chemical then I conceived immediately, my dates were really messed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->