Does anybody wonder...

I was really unsure about BF'ing at all, but thought since it was the best option I would do it for 6 months. It was so hard to begin with and I had almost every problem I had heard of (and some I had not) that can go wrong but stuck with it. By the time he hit 6 months it was well established and it did not seem like the right time so set it to a year but am now thinking 18 months. He does bit, mostly when teething and he has made me bleed from it before but that passes. I think not many people are ok with me doing it past a year, especially since my son seems older than he is (tall for his age, pretty advanced ect).

For ages Thomas was just feeding at bedtime, but recently he is looking for a feed more often - when he wakes up in the morning (if I'm there) and when he gets up from his nap (again, if I'm there). If I'm not there he will happily go without feeds, including the bedtime feed but if I'm there he is still very keen. He knows that he only gets a breastfeed on the armchair in his bedroom, I won't feed him elsewhere in the house or when we are out and about (personal choice) and he is fine with that. I still feed him directly, he never really liked bottles much although he did reluctantly take a bottle when he was younger. He also sometimes has cow's milk from a cup with his meals.

I always thought I would feed for six months or thereabouts because that's what everyone I knew did. I definitely didn't think I would feed past a year and I thought it was creepy breastfeeding a toddler who could walk and talk. I guess in practice though you are not all of a sudden breastfeeding a toddler, they grow older so gradually so you get used to it gradually too, if that makes sense! Also although he is 18 months and fiercely independent about some things, he is still a baby too and very dependent still. I do feel that he gets great comfort and security from breastfeeding and at this stage I will continue until he self-weans (although I will gently encourage him by limiting number of feeds, limiting places where I will feed him, etc.)

OmiOmen, if you do want to stop then I think there is a window of opportunity after they turn a year, when Thomas was 14-16 months he really wasn't too bothered about breastfeeding and I think I could easily have weaned him then but I wasn't ready. I even thought he was self-weaning at one stage because he didn't have a feed at all for three days. Now that he's older he understands more and he is much more attached to it and I think I would find it much much harder to wean him. I know he would be devastated and personally I know I wouldn't be able to do it to him. However, very few people in real life know that I'm still breastfeeding because I just don't tell them! And as I said I will only feed Thomas in his bedroom now so he doesn't ask except in his bedroom.

I guess in practice though you are not all of a sudden breastfeeding a toddler, they grow older so gradually so you get used to it gradually too, if that makes sense!

I had heard this before DS was born and never understood it but that is exactly what happens.

Joshua was getting to the point of only wanting it on a night, but he started to want it more while I had a heavy workload however I am now off Uni until September and think he may go back to only wanting it to get to sleep. But for the first time since he was born he has let DH settle him twice recently, he works night shifts so he can not always do it but it seems like progress. I just have no idea how to stop now, lol.

Okay ladies, you have officially hijacked my thread... :shrug:

my doc told me today that if you have 3 of one gender and you don't have the other gender then you only have a 15% chance of having the gender you don't already have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->