does anyone have postpartum thyroiditis?

I was getting treatment for about a month when we got pregnant again (we couldn't wait to TTC again :blush:) We did make sure to wait through the hyper stage just bc the symptoms were so bad and, i thought it would be more a risk than the hypo stage.

Let's see...when i was hyper i had the shakes REALLY bad...i never did drugs, but i imagine it was the equivalent of withdrawing from meth. Being Hyper was DEF worse. I also had trouble controlling my anger. I never got physical or anything like that, but i would get so angry very easily. I was always on Edge.This is totally unlike me because i am usually relaxed and easy going.Oh and i had a TON of hair loss....but i guess thats common with being PP anyways since you dont shed hair during pregnancy (but this was SUPER excessive and lasted months, so i think it was more thyroid related). I was also super hungry and thirsty ALL of the time.

Then when i turned hypo, it all went away. Im talking within a couple of days. My husband and i both noticed that i wasnt getting angry so much. Also the shakes went away pretty immediately. I noticed the difference in myself, and then DH spoke up and said he too noticed my mood changes (for the better). Then after about a week or so of being hypo, my joints started hurting REALLY bad. (apparently thats one sign, which i didn't know). My knee joints hurt severely and my body just ached. My moods were good (but i hear a lot of ppl get depression like moods with hypo-although i didn't). I got more sleepy and lathargic. Like i just didn't want to do anything or be active. I just felt drained all of the time. I also didn't have much appetite (still gained 30lb from it though :wacko:)

When the docs were trying to figure out what was going on, they actually caught the surge (because of the timing of my blood work). One week i was hyper and my level was 0.005 (which is UBER bad!) and then the next week my levels were nearly an 11 :shock: (no wonder i gained 30lb in a matter of 3 weeks!)

Thank you so much. My hyper symptoms seems to be nothing compared to yours and now I am feeling the same as you were...Tired, lethargic, moods seem to be better (hard to tell with the loss of our little boy). We just can't wait to try either...It is so hard! I really appreciate you telling me your story...it means a lot when I am feeling this lost!

:hugs: i can't imagine hun. I MCed our first baby and that was wicked rough, but that is nothing compared to what you must have went through :( Im sorry. :hug:

I am an open book! If you have ANY questions ask away! :friends:

Have you had bloods done recently? If you did, how were the results? There is conflict between the medical community about what a good number is and what a bad number is. some think if its 0.5-5.0 thats fine, others say NO! 5.0 is too high and it should be more like 0.5-3.5 (my endocrinologist says it should be 0.5-1.5 for a pregnant woman and 0.5-3.5 for everyone else) So if you had bloods done (or will be) i highly suggest asking the actual number and not just "if its okay" or "not", iykwim.

omg how crazy is this! i have been freaking out about going in to getting a thyroid function test all morning and i log onto bnb and see this!!! my midwife thought i had a thyroid issue at my 6 week postpartum check up and today will confirm it. ive been feeling poorly and irritable, have a weird feeling in my throat, and im down to a little over 6 stone. im scared!

omg how crazy is this! i have been freaking out about going in to getting a thyroid function test all morning and i log onto bnb and see this!!! my midwife thought i had a thyroid issue at my 6 week postpartum check up and today will confirm it. ive been feeling poorly and irritable, have a weird feeling in my throat, and im down to a little over 6 stone. im scared!

Best of luck! Dont worry though, the bloods are so easy to get. just like any other blood test.
Let us know how it goes and how your results are! I think the hardest part is figuring out what is going on. Once you have answers it makes things much easier. :hugs:
...we should get a siggy like "PP Thyroiditis Survivors" or something lol

Thanks Guppy! I will get my results and levels from the Doctor tomorrow when I go for the uptake test...I am positive that I was at 2.6 initially around 8 weeks after the birth of our son and I need to clarify the other ones tomorrow.

Wishing you luck as well prdlyexpecting! It looks like you have a wonderful little man to keep you company...Don't be scared! Are you expecting another or am I confused? It is amazing what you are able to deal with and it seems all of the ladies here are thriving as I am sure you will too.

I lost my little boy...He passed away 2 days before I gave birth to him at 39 1/2 weeks. I started feeling poorly about a month before he was born but my endo is positive that my thyroid problem did not have anything to do with the passing of my son. I really started having symptoms about 6 weeks after I gave birth and it really has put a kink in our plans to TTC as soon as possible...although we have talked about it this morning and I believe since I am feeling so well that we are going to try to conceive our rainbow baby starting this month.

Appreciate the small things and don't worry your health will get better with the right help! Surround yourself with faith and positive feelings and you will feel better. Feel free to talk to us anytime!

2.6 sounds perfect!
I had my levels checked at 4 weeks PP. They were normal at that point. I just reckon they went hyper at 2 months PP bc thats when the symptoms started. I asked the Endo, "why did it come back normal at 4 weeks?" He explained that thyroid levels "lag"...i think what he meant is that it takes longer for it to show up in the blood work....with that said you very well could have PP Thyroid, because months can be different for everyone. Some women only ever go hyper. Some only ever go hypo. I know the majority go hyper and then hypo. And then some go hypo and then hyper...so confusing lol. But anyways, it can happen at different months for different ppl. So even though mine went hyper at 2 months PP and hypo at 5 months PP, it can vary from woman to woman.

I understand wanting TTC your rainbow baby :cloud9: nothing wrong with that! I hope you can get your bloods back and start trying asap if thats what you want! We actually started TTC when i was 4 months PP...but it took us 7 cycles this time (the other two times it only took 1 cycle)...we didn't want to wait.

Hi I know this is an old thread but so glad I found it ! Recently been diagnosed . In hyper stage now but I'm 10 months pp !! I've lost 3.5 stone roughly very quickly without trying !
I'm 42 so so want to ttc but can't just yet as I'm on beta blockers for now

Hi left wondering! I was diagnosed myself on Friday. My youngest has just turned one but I'm one of those people who put the Drs off all the time but my dr is confiden its post partum hyperthyroidism. I'm on propanalol as a beta blocker and carbimazole as of Friday. The sweating, shaking and itching started about two weeks after delivery but assumed it was

Hormones then I was diagnosed with PND so again assumed it was that but my depression is under control now so my hubby finally made me go to the Drs lol. Hope you feel better soon!

Yeah :) more company !! Not that I'm happy your sick lol... I'm on carbimazole too . Was on 20mg daily now reduced to 10mg daily as level is rising ?? I've also stopped beta blockers unless in need them ie feel unwell or palpatations . The itchyness and anxiety are the worst I think . I always had contact detmititas and put it down to that !! The anxiety I put down to being a new mum / or just ignored it !! Can't believe how much better I feel . No sense of dread any more which is amazing . Doc not sure if its just burning itself out or responding to meds . More bloods in 3 weeks . Then appointment with endocronologist on the 9 th of march :)

I couldn't believe that I started to feel better only 2 weeks in . I left going to the doc on the long finger too hence 11 months in . Lol...
Hope you feel alot better soon .

My endocrinologist refused to treat me until I went hypo...it sucked. Although I will admit, each time it has happened, the symptoms weren't as nuts compared to the time before.

Oh and I forgot to update :dohh:

So, I had our daughter sept 2013. I, once again, developed PP thyroid iris :grr: so I went through about five months of hyper, followed by going very hypo. Yet again I gained 30lbs :cry: I am taking levothyoxrine now, still (my daughter is roughly 17 months old). I figure I'll be on it for the rest of my life, not bc of the pp thyroid issue, but bc I have been chronically hypo since I was a very young girl.

I am breast feeding, so that may have factored into his decision not to treat my hyper thyroid state, although he claims standard protocol for this condition is to not treat the hyper state, but idk how much I agree w that...says the man that never personally delt w either symptoms :dohh:

Guppy my doc says that hyper ( post pregnancy) doesn't usually respond to meds so they treat the symptoms rather than the disease . She put me on meds as a " just in case " it wasn't post partum and now she is not sure if its the meds or just burnt out . Have to go give blood again in two weeks so we will see where things are at then I guess. Can I ask about the weight gain ? Was it gradual or all of a sudden ? I don't mind putting it on again tbh as I think thin doesn't suit me lol.

It was all of a sudden for me, I'd say less than two weeks x

Holy crap that's some time frame !!! 2 weeks !! Also what can I expect from my appointment with the endocronologist ?? will they give a crap about your fertility ? And the fact I want to ttc ?

Hello! I know this is a really old threead but I have just had bloods taken for thyroid levels because I have had a phase pp of hives, panic attacks and 3 stone weight loss and now I am gaining weight and hardly eating and have had heart rythem abnormalities which is also a symptom according to gp.

Can any of you advise did your thyroid issues correct themselves eventually? Or do you still have this condition for life?

Also I have always been very slim and am now really worried that the medications will mess with my weight a lot. Did you find that medication for hypo made you gain?

I'm glad I'm getting some answers for all the strange symptoms I've had but I'm feeling low about my weight now as that was the issue that finally prompted me to see the gp along with the heart issues

Thank you

Yup! Me too!! Im 10 months PP and started to get it around 4 Months PP. Im in terrible pain from it though. Is anyone experiencing pain??

I found this thread by googling post partum thyroiditis although I have been a member of this site for a while. I started to get REAL symptoms of ppt about 3 months pp and my levels were around .014. Got them checked again and they went up to 25. Checked them again and they were up to 60! Along with that, I had a severe vitamin d deficiency. I really don't know how I got through it. I thought I was having some pp depression and I think most of my issues were related to low vit d and my thyroid. My knee joints were killing me, fatigue, depression, ankle swelling. I lost all of my pregnancy weight in about 2 weeks and then packed on 40 lbs in a short period of time. I got all the way up to 150mcg of synthroid before my thyroid seemed to be adjusting. I was showing hyper on my blood tests meaning my dosage was too high. I am now down to 112mcg at 16 months pp and it seems the numbers are still dropping. I hope it goes away because we are discussing ttc #2.

I have read that if your thyroid is out of whack, it can cause developmental delays if you were to get pregnant and not getting the right amount of thyroid hormone. I'm scared to try to get pregnant just yet and I'm crossing my fingers things get to normal soon. How come now that my numbers show hyper that I have only lost 15 lbs? That's not fair! It's much easier to gain than it is to lose it seems like.

I would say my thyroid went "out of whack" very shortly after giving birth. Maybe a month? Although it wasn't caught until about 3 months pp. I'm worried it won't go away because I'm already past the usual 12-18 month time frame!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->