does anyone have postpartum thyroiditis?

M

mamaofthree

Grrrrrrr, all of a sudden i have been feeling really unwell, super tired, and aching all over&have lost nearly a stone below my pre preg weight in the last 8weeks. Anyways, was put on erythromycin for a strep infection last week and got really ill...high&low temp, palpatations and fainting.....ended up in hospital as had an allergic reaction to the anti b's:cry:

While i was there, i was monitored and had white blood count taken which was normal, and they said they think my reaction to the anti b's was made worse as they strongly suspect i have an over active thyroid&the symtoms to this and the allergic reaction are the same apart from temp fluctuation?

Does anyone else have this, and if so what are your symptoms?:hugs:

I have post partum thyroiditis, it started back in november when I lost about 14lbs in about 2 weeks, my heart was racing all the time and I couldnt sleep. My doctor took bloods and it came back that my thyroid was overactive but we decided to leave it run its course. Back in janurary we took blood again as I was feeling really tired, had put on a few lbs and was really moody. Now my thyroid is underactive so I started medicine last week and feel good again!

I too have postpartum thyroiditis!
I delivered on Sept 4th of last year (2010) I started feeling tremors (but weren't too bad) around 6-8 weeks postpartum. I kid you not, i was 13 pounds BELOW my pre-pregnancy weight 2 days after giving birth!!! (now that could have been due in part from the all the vomiting i did in my pregnancy from hypoglycemia, i lost almost 10 pounds). So it's hard to say if it was from the thyroid or not :shrug: I tried EVERYTHING to get a milksupply, and i never got one! Then each month after that the tremors got so bad i felt like i was withdrawing from Crack! I had many headaches (out of character for me unless i am sick) and I was also losing my balance, having trouble with my fine motor skills, and getting light headed. I was also VERY moody and angry all the time (thats out of character for me). Everything set me off. I lost TONS of hair too (which i know can be from giving birth but this was WAYY worse than that!) It got so bad in January that i decided enough is enough and I needed to see a doctor. Had blood work (TSH) and it was .05 (at 4 weeks PP it was normal- 3.50). Which indicates major HYPERthyroid. A week later I had my TSH rechecked (and Free Ts) for the endocrinologist (ironically we caught when it changed from hyper to hypo), just found out last week that my TSH is now 11.60! :shock: (which indicates hypo thyroid) the doc NEVER heard of it going from one extreme to another like that. So its crazy, and now i am waiting until May to go back and get my Free Ts and my TSH checked to see if it leveled out or not. I do have a history of hypo thyroid so im fearful it will remain in its low state :(

Now that I am in the hypo state, my tremors & headaches have stopped almost entirely, my moods are getting back to normal (still a little grouchy though :blush:) but i've been feeling cold :cold: My skin is very dry and ive been more sleepy than usual.

If you get both states (hyper and hypo), the hyper state can onset anywhere between 1-4 months (give or take) and last until about 4-8 months (give or take) once that stops, then you go hypo. I am not sure how long that lasts. Ive read a lot of contradicting information. Does anyone know how long the hypo state lasts? :shrug: I really wanted to TTC #2 very soon but they are telling me not to until i get this straightened out :sad1: The doc wants to "wait it out" until mid-may, at least, before putting me on synthroid...crushed :(

Did any of you ladies spot for awhile going into the hypo stage?

I spotted around between 4-5 months PP (went hypo at 5 months PP). But it only lasted a couple of days. I honestly thought my periods were returning (i BFed but had chronic low milk supply). But i the next cycle it returned to normal (i think haha its becoming a little blurry).

Thanks. I've been spotting for the past 10 days but still no af. I'm hoping this will go away sooner or later and in a month I'll get real af!!! I really hope so!

Guppy- I was wondering how long did it take for your thyroid to go back to normal?

Guppy- I was wondering how long did it take for your thyroid to go back to normal?

well it never went back to normal on its own. From 2 months PP to 5 months PP i was hyperthyroid. Then at 5 months PP it went to hypothyroid. The doctor was not going to treat it, since it usually goes away, but it was causing my moods to be unlike my character (which is a common side effect of over/under active thyroid), as well as dry skin, and being tired all the time. My biggest symptom was my 30 lb weight gain, even though i was 10 lb under prepregnancy from delivery until 5 months PP. That is when i said enough is enough and i want treated. Especially bc of gaining so much when i am already overweight to begin with :dohh: so at 7 months PP i got put on levothyroxine (generic for synthroid) and i got my levels rechecked around 8-8.5 months PP and they were normal. He (the doctor) was either going to take me off it then and there or hes gonna wean me off 6 months from that point. I asked if i could be weaned off since i was TTC and thyroid plays a VERY important role in that. So he agreed. i actually need to go get my levels checked bc i ran out of refills. If it is fine i will probably stay off and just get it checked really frequently since im pregnant now.

if it helps any, the research i have done says that in most women, their thyroid will regulate itself naturally within a year or two. maybe less. but usually around the one year mark or before.

I delivered on Sept 4th of last year (2010) I started feeling tremors (but weren't too bad) around 6-8 weeks postpartum. I kid you not, i was 13 pounds BELOW my pre-pregnancy weight 2 days after giving birth!!! (now that could have been due in part from the all the vomiting i did in my pregnancy from hypoglycemia, i lost almost 10 pounds). So it's hard to say if it was from the thyroid or not :shrug: I tried EVERYTHING to get a milksupply, and i never got one! Then each month after that the tremors got so bad i felt like i was withdrawing from Crack! I had many headaches (out of character for me unless i am sick) and I was also losing my balance, having trouble with my fine motor skills, and getting light headed. I was also VERY moody and angry all the time (thats out of character for me). Everything set me off. I lost TONS of hair too (which i know can be from giving birth but this was WAYY worse than that!) It got so bad in January that i decided enough is enough and I needed to see a doctor. Had blood work (TSH) and it was .05 (at 4 weeks PP it was normal- 3.50). Which indicates major HYPERthyroid. A week later I had my TSH rechecked (and Free Ts) for the endocrinologist (ironically we caught when it changed from hyper to hypo), just found out last week that my TSH is now 11.60! :shock: (which indicates hypo thyroid) the doc NEVER heard of it going from one extreme to another like that. So its crazy, and now i am waiting until May to go back and get my Free Ts and my TSH checked to see if it leveled out or not. I do have a history of hypo thyroid so im fearful it will remain in its low state :(

Now that I am in the hypo state, my tremors & headaches have stopped almost entirely, my moods are getting back to normal (still a little grouchy though :blush:) but i've been feeling cold :cold: My skin is very dry and ive been more sleepy than usual.

If you get both states (hyper and hypo), the hyper state can onset anywhere between 1-4 months (give or take) and last until about 4-8 months (give or take) once that stops, then you go hypo. I am not sure how long that lasts. Ive read a lot of contradicting information. Does anyone know how long the hypo state lasts? :shrug: I really wanted to TTC #2 very soon but they are telling me not to until i get this straightened out :sad1: The doc wants to "wait it out" until mid-may, at least, before putting me on synthroid...crushed :(

i am exactly the same. My thyroid keeps going from one extreme to the other, it is awful. We were trying for baby number 2 but i miscarried recently probably due to my thyroid according to the doctor so now we are banned from ttc for the foreseeable :-(

I hope yours sorts itself out soon x

i am exactly the same. My thyroid keeps going from one extreme to the other, it is awful. We were trying for baby number 2 but i miscarried recently probably due to my thyroid according to the doctor so now we are banned from ttc for the foreseeable :-(

I hope yours sorts itself out soon x

My condolences for your loss hun :hugs: So sorry :hug:

How come your doctor wouldn't give you a prescription to help with it? Especially if he knows you are TTC. If i were you i would get a second opinion. That just doesn't sound right :nope: especially given how long these things can take to regulate themselves. I would demand a prescription, tbh. If you want to have a baby, i think its insane he isnt really working for you. :flow:

well i have to get bloods drawn tomorrow to check my thyroid level. I told my endo today that i am about 8-9 weeks pregnant. He called back and said he wants me to take the levothyroxine. And actually i have to take it one time per day (like usual) but he now wants me to pick a day out of the week and take two pills on that day. I find it odd that he presrcibed that before getting my blood work back. :shrug: he said if i go in the AM to get the bloodwork, they will have results by the afternoon, so i just assume he would call and tell me otherwise should my dosage change? :shrug:

Oh i am on meds, Guppy. But my thyroid keeps yo-yoing from one extreme to another so my meds are never right despite always changing it to suit, if you know what i mean?

S x

Oh i am on meds, Guppy. But my thyroid keeps yo-yoing from one extreme to another so my meds are never right despite always changing it to suit, if you know what i mean?

S x

OIC :dohh: i hope it gets sorted out soon dear :hugs:

Well it looks like I had this though no-one diagnosed it as postpartum thyroiditis. I was just diagnosed with an underactive thyroid when Phoebe was around 5-6 months old, though the first test showed it was over active and then it stayed under active. I was put on medication but after a few months my levels went back to normal and have been fine ever since, ths doctor just put it down to pregnancy messing with my hormones.
Im watching out for the symptoms again this time, there is no way I want to feel like that again, it was the tiredness and the mood swings that were the worst for me.
Does anyone know if it is a re-occuring thing?

I believe i read somewhere if you get PP Thyroiditis, you have a 75% chance of getting it with other babies.....:cry: i DO NOT want to go through that again! :sad1:

I was recently diagnosed with Postpartum Thyroiditis. I had never heard of this condition before, so this is all new to me! While I am not happy you all have it, it is nice not to be alone.

I had my third baby Dec 2010, and when I took my daughter in for her two month appointment, my doc noticed my neck looked large. My thyroid test showed HYPER in Feb 2011, then a huge swing down to HYPO in April 2011. I was finally able to see an endocrinologist in May 2011, and he ordered another blood test. By then my levels were "normal" even though it's been a while since I have felt "normal." I just retested again (August 2011) and levels still seem to be evening out. So the huge swings aren't happening as bad as before, but they are still working themselves out.

I can feel it when my body goes up and down. I'll feel fairly good (not really "normal" but ok) for a few weeks, then "crash!" accompanied with horrible headaches, and I feel completely crappy for a week or two. During that time, all of the hypo or hyper symptoms come back with a vengeance. It is frustrating, especially when you are trying to take care of a little baby (and other kids, job, husband, house...). I am usually a go-getter, but during these times I just have to sit and let things slide.

My endo does not want to put me on medication, because he doesn't want to damage my thyroid. If it can correct itself, he things that is best, and that is what my thyroid seems to be doing (according to the most current test numbers). In the meantime, it certainly is not fun trying to cope with feeling so yucky. He wants me to come back again in two months to retest to make sure it's still staying within "normal" levels.

With symptoms still blaring, I went to two homeopathic clinics to see if I could get a little help with feeling better via supplements. I am now taking 9 supplements for thyroid and adrenal function, including Kelp. They seem to help boost my energy and decrease a few of the worst symptoms, like extreme fatigue, dizziness, brain fog, and slurred speech (seriously, that was the most embarrassing symptom!!!).

But I still sweat profusely, am losing hair, can't exercise or lose weight, etc etc. Every now and then I get constipated, have sore muscles, etc. I feel like my body is mad at me! LOL

Good luck to all of you. From talking to other women and studying this condition, it seems like a "wait and see" game for all involved. Being in limbo isn't fun, especially when you feel crappy and want to do SOMETHING in order to improve. It has really been a test of my patience, and a forced means of rest.

Hi Ladies...I have an overactive thyroid after giving birth to my sleeping son in September. My endo right now is screening for Graves Disease...he thinks it is either Graves or post partum. Did any of you get tested for Graves? I would like to hear your stories. We are on the WTT to try list too until we figure out what is happening with me. I will find out on February 1st, thank goodness, we are so anxious to have a rainbow baby!

They thought i had Graves Disease but then caught the high to low change (that typically occurs with PP Thyroiditis). There isn't really one test, persay (i could be wrong though), but they check out thyroid levels and such. PP Thyroiditis is tough to figure out because it can vary from woman to woman. Typically, you go hyper about 2 months PP and the around 5 months PP you go hypo. Thats what happened to me...im still taking the hormone meds for it being underactive. Its tough bc its one of those "wait and see sort of things".

Hi Guppy...thanks for the reply. Did you get pregnant with your LO when you were still in PP thyroiditis hell? Hahahaha! I just want to be on the TTC bandwagon so bad...I am not sure if I can wait. I have been feeling so much better...no hot flashes, weight loss had stopped for the last 3 weeks, headaches and shakes are gone. I keep thinking that I am moving over to the hypo stage. What did it feel like for you when you transitioned? I know it is different for everyone I am just looking for different experiences and stories to compare to mine so that I don't go crazy before this month is over. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->